• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will it take to save RO?

Server admins do a good job in destroying the RO community little by little. They ignore that RO has a wide variety of custom mods and two custom mods released. Maybe they think that people get addicted to RO if they everyday get the same maps in map rotation, like Arad, Danzig, Zithomir... :D

Especially the 50 players servers are horrible with their map selection. But they collect about 80 % of the playing community. The rest of the servers get hardly populated and many of them fill up their servers with bots. :rolleyes:

We hav a Winner HERE!! Give this Man a Cigar!!!

I agree here 110%,its the crappy Server rotation with the same old maps.
Loaded with tank only maps, the same over played maps no changing,hello TWB,,

Thats why I never play anymore or very little ,,,,just my .02$ worth,,,:cool:

Upvote 0
I'm glad to see that my question has sparked the exact kind of debate that I was hoping to engender...the kind that ends with folks coming up with positive and creative solutions. It's clear that plenty of us still care deeply about the game and the community that surrounds it.

And for the record, nowhere in my original post have I blamed or pointed fingers at Tripwire or any one particular entity for the current situation. I too have enjoyed hundreds (if not thousands) of hours playing the game and working on custom content for it. With me, Tripwire has a customer for life and I'll be eagerly following the developments for whatever their next project happens to be. My only concern was that I feel, like many of you do, that RO:OST still has some good life left in it, and that we can control it's destiny rather than let it slip away without trying.

Thanks for listening.;)

Upvote 0
I think RO is great as is - I started when 2.0 first came out and recently took a year break and come back. Back then it was very tight group
and it the entire RO community was like one big clan.

I digress
Perhaps something more like "destructible objects" and "bullet penetration".

Its crazy to be able to be protected behind a little wooden fence while a MG42 throws a couple hundreds rounds at you.

Or a tank that cant drive over a little tree or wooden shack.

Of course these things arent going to happen here - just some wishes.

Upvote 0
This discussion has converted me I must confess. I have 4 kids, work 12 hour days etc... (Violin Plays) I usually only get an hour or two to play so I would always jump on the 50 man servers that are populated nightly. Only so I could squeeze in a few good games.

Now, after reading this I jump into a server 50pc or something along those lines and there are around 8 people on the server. I stay in there and before you know if the 40 man server (And it has CC on it :) )they have fills up, and some of the best games with differnet maps I have played in a while.

I have converted. Not only do I wish to play but I do wish to help make the community better. If just a few people do that it can make a big difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If this hypothetical server gets going and you include these maps, you will get me hooked:

Berezina_1941 - (the smoke/HE PIV's are GREAT)
Kriegstadt
Leningrad
Elyna
Road_to_Hill (combined or infantry only)
Ardon (if CC)
PaiserPlatz.

Also, EH's MG mod and the new vehicles goes without saying.

However, what do people think about death messages? I'd personally LOVE to see a populated server with them turned off. There was a german server with that setting a while ago that stayed populated, but it was choked with a horrid amount of poor custom maps and faded away.
So yay or nay to death messages? Once people play on a server without them they seem to get used to it, and even enjoy it.

Upvote 0
imho, TWB ruined RO and made it as it is now. they basically have monopolized the servers, and since they dont put CC in their servers, it gets little attention. not to mention rotations, and only stock maps, and they put EVERY SINGLE stock map in the 50 player server.

I have to kind of agree with this sentiment. They do have one or two custom maps on there, but they're lost in the sea of stock maps. Combine that with them having three 50 player servers, and they eat up most of the active players at any one time. I wish they would update some of the maps on thier servers.

To thier credit though, they DO have a CC server. 'TWB "Red Dawn" East Coast CC server' or something. It's just never full. What they SHOULD do is add CC to one of thier UK servers. Then about two weeks later, add it to the other and to the original US server. That way all the TWB regulars will get weened onto the new stuff.

But for now, it's just a never ending stream of Zhitomir-BaskanValley-Danzig-Arad...

The 2MANNY server is usually a good bet though. It just needs to fill up.

Upvote 0
imho, TWB ruined RO and made it as it is now. they basically have monopolized the servers, and since they dont put CC in their servers, it gets little attention. not to mention rotations, and only stock maps, and they put EVERY SINGLE stock map in the 50 player server.

Interesting thread but i will take issue with your comments here illinifan.

You are welcome to your opinion as regards whether TWB have ruined RO but my opinion differs as I can only see that we have supported this great game with every resource we have at our disposal.
We worked closely with TWI as have many other modders and mappers to bring a new experience to the game via 50 player servers.
The decision to increase maxplayer numbers was TWI's alone and I personally think it was a bold and innovative step which only increased peoples choices within the game.
The same way they chose to include 10 maps from the community into a patch thereby making them all standard stock maps.
Not many other developers would even dream of doing this let alone go ahead and actually see it through.

TWB do Admin a 50 player CC server with some stock RO maps mixed in.
The Server is called TWB's "Red Dawn" CC East Coast Server and you'll find it in the browser.
As regards only running stock maps im afraid your very wrong there as all our servers except one run custom maps mixed in with stock maps.

With regards to map rotations any RO player who plays on our servers is more than welcome to register on our forums and pass his or her comments regarding new maps, new rotations or anything else to with RO that they wish to pass on.
We have a large and dedicated Admin team who are more than willing to listen to comments both good and bad as long as they are constructive.

Remember by game standards RO is now "getting old" as its been with us over 2 years so player numbers will naturally drop due in the main to players moving onto play other newer releases.

But hopefully TWI will announce the new title and we will once again see these boards packed to the gunnels with new players, new opinions and new ideas to invigorate the community.
I just hope its not to far away:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This game has been around a lot longer than two years. The people that made this game great are slowly drifting away though. And, interestingly enough, the rate at which the good vets left increased dramatically after the 50 player patch was released.

Just because TWB servers are full every night and have regulars does not mean that you are doing the community a great service. Some players on there just play there because there are no other servers with humans playing on them. I'm sure that all of us that matter in this community will tell you that the game started going downhill with the advent of the 50 player bull****.

TWI adding 50 players didn't help at all. The choices it added for us basically amounted to whether we wanted to play Danzig Deathmatch of Arad tank deathmatch with annoying people. The larger servers attracts the battlefield type of player which is not what RO is about nor should it ever have been.

Upvote 0
Wont happen of course but a lobby with chat would be helpfull to organise the populating of empty servers
A bit like what Ghost recon had with ubi.com or whatever - but i hated leaving the actual game, so built in would be better.

Anyway leaving the hypothetical...
Someone suggested a map rotation earlier- consisting of the large lengthy 'epic' maps.
I appreciate the maps mentioned, i think they contain some of the best custom work done yet I disagree -
at a risk of repeating what i said last time i posted in a thread like this - i wonder if small tight quick maps could bring a bit of popularity back.
IMO mappers should be encouraged to make small detailed action packed maps of the Jucha, Tcherkassy and Lazur style. Try to keep CA more like this too - IMO RO was always at it's best when representing small anonomous parchocial battles with small squads that gave a more personal and intimate feeling, rather than trying to re-create the largest most famous encounters of the war (the outcome of which we know anyway lol)

The problem with lack of variety and mapper's great efforts not being played becomes far less an issue if the maps are all 15 min skirmishes as opposed to epic hour long slogs per round.
And of course it's far easier to seed empty servers that feature smaller maps, with less people required for a reasonable contest.
Leave large epic scale maps to the tankers, who are more than happy to play round after round in the same massive field with randomly sprinkled trees.

Reducing server player counts and producing content that returns to the flavour of the mod might re-envigorate, if not actually save, RO.

Upvote 0
Perhaps something more like "destructible objects" and "bullet penetration".

There was a mutator that added bullet penetration. It worked beautifully but it eventually died due to neglect from the devs. The guy coding asked for help but he was ignored. I suspect it's because the devs vehemently denied that bullet penetration would work in game without killing servers and then this guy comes in with a fully working mutator and shows everyone that that was complete BS.

Upvote 0
There was a mutator that added bullet penetration. It worked beautifully but it eventually died due to neglect from the devs. The guy coding asked for help but he was ignored. I suspect it's because the devs vehemently denied that bullet penetration would work in game without killing servers and then this guy comes in with a fully working mutator and shows everyone that that was complete BS.

Dam I am sorry to have missed that.

Upvote 0
Interesting thread but i will take issue with your comments here illinifan.

You are welcome to your opinion as regards whether TWB have ruined RO but my opinion differs as I can only see that we have supported this great game with every resource we have at our disposal.
We worked closely with TWI as have many other modders and mappers to bring a new experience to the game via 50 player servers.
The decision to increase maxplayer numbers was TWI's alone and I personally think it was a bold and innovative step which only increased peoples choices within the game.
The same way they chose to include 10 maps from the community into a patch thereby making them all standard stock maps.
Not many other developers would even dream of doing this let alone go ahead and actually see it through.

TWB do Admin a 50 player CC server with some stock RO maps mixed in.
The Server is called TWB's "Red Dawn" CC East Coast Server and you'll find it in the browser.
As regards only running stock maps im afraid your very wrong there as all our servers except one run custom maps mixed in with stock maps.

With regards to map rotations any RO player who plays on our servers is more than welcome to register on our forums and pass his or her comments regarding new maps, new rotations or anything else to with RO that they wish to pass on.
We have a large and dedicated Admin team who are more than willing to listen to comments both good and bad as long as they are constructive.

Remember by game standards RO is now "getting old" as its been with us over 2 years so player numbers will naturally drop due in the main to players moving onto play other newer releases.

But hopefully TWI will announce the new title and we will once again see these boards packed to the gunnels with new players, new opinions and new ideas to invigorate the community.
I just hope its not to far away:)

See dude, the problem is that the CC maps are not on the MAIN TWB SERVERS, which are, the two ones in Europe (with "The Wild Bunch" in title) and the Old Glory server, which is basically THE server for NA.

You might see SOME small lost of players in the beginning but it'll be worth it. It really gets old playing the SAME stuff over and over again. Talk to your overlords, make it happen ;)

Upvote 0
Wow....this concept of RO 'dying away' really sucks. Especially since some of us folks have been busting hump over the past few years to find the historically correct weapon configurations, era-matching hardware, correct optics, etc - stuff a lot of folks probably have no idea how hard it is to find, and take for granted. ..doing the research is gut-wrenching, one doesn't simply google oneself some 1941 Pzkpfw 38(T) telescope reticles, LOL...and The modders have really worked hard to try to build in and change the vanilla-flavoring of the stock RO. But I too, have noticed that the stock RO seems to be overwhelmingly chosen as the soup of the day.

...there, that should induce the necessary player guilt....no? Rats..

Maybe the latest mods aren't trusted by newer players, so they (particularly newer players) go with the 'safe' or 'brand names' they know and love? They maybe see the words "Beta" and or stuff like "Sturgisov Farm-BETA w/ISU-152 Mod Part1 (More Cowbell!)" ;) and get intimidated and think it's not "complete", or they maybe assume the regular stock RO maps will always run the most consistently in the way of speed, reliability of connection..and are considered 'best' or 'final'...I dunno....all semantics-what's in a name? I'm just trying to get inside the mind of Little Johnny or Uncle Rico who's just started playing RO for the first time.
Maybe the Mods and the constantly evolving and improving processes of modification should be considered (and marketed) as part of the main game as a bona fide main functional activity of Red Orchestra and not as a 'side-line' activity.

Never mind those thoughts, I'll just stay in my lane with the research (which I love in and of itself, regardless of RO), I just would really be let down if RO is really wearing out its welcome with people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0