• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

This is what I miss in RO: awesome next gen visual effects

youl notice two things, it said for filmakers, and one of the scenes is from the lord of the rings. my friend has been tinkering with physics engines in 3dsmax and destroying buildings, small stuff can run up to 1 second to perform the calculations for 1 frame, and thats a fence being hit my by a rock. the problem is that it just takes too long for all the proper calulations to be performed on modern machines.

however with they way computers are speedin up, i give it two or three years before this kinda stuff really starts to become possible.

Upvote 0
Have you guys seen the new trailer from gears of war 2, Destructible environments to my knowledge are possible all ready, or look at brothers in arms hells highway, you can clearly see when the flak gun fires at a building and it breaks apart .

however the "destruction" we have in games that are coming out these days is limited and not wholly realistic, what those simulations are showing is what would really happen if you could recreate that in real life, most games have a lightened version of this where blowing a hole in the wall just creates a hole, it dosent check the whole building to see if it can still stand with that peice of wall missing.

Upvote 0
however the "destruction" we have in games that are coming out these days is limited and not wholly realistic, what those simulations are showing is what would really happen if you could recreate that in real life, most games have a lightened version of this where blowing a hole in the wall just creates a hole, it dosent check the whole building to see if it can still stand with that peice of wall missing.

Faces of War is possibly only one I can think of atm (to have bit more advanced than simple damage model) and even with it's "slightly more detailed" model it is still very CPU heavy, especially multiplayer. Demolishing one part of a building can cause the game to have major slowdowns and lag and sometimes even causes short "server is unresponding" moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0