• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Call of Duty 5

The pinnacle was OFP/ArmA, not RO.

both are diferent approaches to realism

you can say that OFP/ArmA is more realistic than RO, however, playing RO feels much more natural than OFP/ArmA. increasing the realism in what is most important to me.

No need to say, I prefer the RO approach a thousand times over the other one, but thats up to everyone's priorities in gameplay. For me, there is no game like RO, and no other game is better at what it does. (well, probably the UT2k4 mod version of RO, but thats another story)

Upvote 0
Wow, you must have a pretty soft definition of "revolutionary" then. There's like maybe 10? games in the last decade that deserve that certificate and RO is definetly not one of them. OFP, maybe, but not RO.

Well there isnt any game out there quite like RO in my opinion, and ive played games for way to many years now.
So just to say it is not innovative is pretty easy, but tell me then what would a game take before you find it innovative?

Upvote 0
Of course it did! It helped to get people go nearer to the realism genre than they dared before, fearing 'boring' simulation-type games. Now more mainstream titles get more and more realistic too because their devs saw that going for a little more realism isn't going to hurt the sales.

Free-aim plus iron sights minus crosshairs minus iron-sight zoom; resting your weapon almost everything; sniper zoom only in the sniper scope; actual one-hit-one-kill gameplay; ww2 without the usual popular factions; manually armable grenades plus over-hand and under-hand throw; suppression effects like blurring and sway; MG-barrel changes; barrel over-heating based on map-temperature; classnames in their native language; manual bolting; heavy emphasis on bolt-action rifles (!); actual authentic rate of fire for MGs including the MG42 instead of substituting it with more damage or infinite ammo; tanks that are more realistic than in any other first-person shooter; bullet physics ...

Some of these things have been done before, but not all of them at once! Especially not in a pure multiplayer shooter.

To be truly revolutionary it simply lacked in success. Not the game's fault though, so I'll continue to call it revolutionary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO is one of the few games (mods, actually) that made iron sights in computer games popular. That's definitely innovative. Think of it. How many mainstream games before RO had iron sights? Only OFP I think. RO came out before the first Call of Duty if I'm not mistaken.

As well as resting your weapon on anything of course, which, unfortunately, I haven't seen being copied by any game. Maybe it'll take another year or two for the mainstream devs to catch up with that. ;)

The mods are always the ones that innovate, not popular games, which is why I'm a big mod supporter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not just the iron-sights that are important but the free vactorized aiming, the lack of a crosshairs and the iron-sights. Iron-sights as a gimmick for a mechanism that works no different than Far Cry's shouldn't really be counted in my opinion since iron-sights are just a visual gimmick there instead of something that resembles iron-sights in their looks AND their usage. So CoD1 is out of the question anyways. As are most games up to now.

Hidden and Dangerous 1 had iron-sights for shooting but I think it was the only method of shooting so I'm sure we want to count it here. We don't count Wolfenstein 3d either, do we?

Flashpoint of course and Infiltration. Other than those two I can't think of any right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO is one of the few games (mods, actually) that made iron sights in computer games popular. That's definitely innovative. Think of it. How many mainstream games before RO had iron sights? Only OFP I think. RO came out before the first Call of Duty if I'm not mistaken.

As well as resting your weapon on anything of course, which, unfortunately, I haven't seen being copied by any game. Maybe it'll take another year or two for the mainstream devs to catch up with that. ;)

The mods are always the ones that innovate, not popular games, which is why I'm a big mod supporter.
Well at first, sorry but RO didn't make iron sights popular. Alone the fact that RO:O was released in June 2006 should show this. Or do you think all the games(bf2, cod, dods, etc.) before this dates were like hey look at this semi-popular UT2K3/UT2K4 mod Red Orchestra, we should copy their ironsights.

But your point is right. What I want to make clear is the difference between innovative and revolutionary. Red Orchestra no doubt has many many innovations(just look at murphys post). But the definition of revolutionary is something different. A revolution in gaming is something that changes the way games are being produced/they are played or that's setting new standards. For example BF42(yes I know there maybe were 1-2 games like it before but i'm talking about real popular games). It was the first real popular game to feature large open battles. Today we have had BFV, BF2, BF for consoles, ETQW, Frontlines, and a few more (to come).

Upvote 0
Why don't you think professional devs wouldn't look at mods? Semi-popular mod is interesting too because as far as I remember it RO was the most popular mod for UT2004 which was one of the the most popular shooters at that time.
Yeah, and we have Insurgency, the two ww2 HL2 mods, iron-sights in DoD:S, less prominent crosshairs in CoD from #2 upwards, a 'hardcore' mode in CoD4, a movement away from overdone rag-doll effects to more realistic ones and still RO got the best ones I've seen, etc ....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well at first, sorry but RO didn't make iron sights popular. Alone the fact that RO:O was released in June 2006 should show this. Or do you think all the games(bf2, cod, dods, etc.) before this dates were like hey look at this semi-popular UT2K3/UT2K4 mod Red Orchestra, we should copy their ironsights.

Yes. RO did make iron sights popular (together with OFP, Infiltration etc). Game devs do look at the mods and copy from them.

Upvote 0