• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My new K98k

Gwarokk

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 23, 2008
P1010087.jpg

Not the greatest picture, but my camera sucks. Stamped 1943, all matching parts. Very, very good condition. Got it from Mitchells Mausers, the collectors grade. Costed me about 500 in total including ammo and such.

here's a clarification for everyone on what mitchell's does based on some examples i saw a few years back (also the general consensus of the collecting community)

step one take a perfectly good russian capture K98k
step 2 strip it of all finish
step 3 grind all serials except for reciever and barrel including EPed numbers if eagles are pinged remove those too
step 4 restamp matching serials and eagles... set a few rifles aside to stamp death's head markings on
step 5 reblue everything while neglecting to blue the bolt and forgetting that the stock crossbolt should be in the white polish bolt and bolt takedown disc
step 6 refinish stock and reassemble with reproduction cleaning rod and sight hood
step 7 flat out lie in the advertising and sell as original

things that give these away as russian captures... they generally still have the X stamped in the reciever (some don't as not all RC mausers do) and all of the mitchell's mausers i've seen still have the serial number in the buttstock

now they may be skipping some of these steps more recently as i've seen photos of one that looked like it still had the russian bluing job

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok just because that Mitchell's Mausers screwed up the finish and authenticity of the rifle doesn't mean that the shooting experience will be any different than that from an original Kar98K with original finish intact, the recoil, noise and smell of burnt gunpowder is still the same so the satisfaction and enjoyment of shooting a high powered rifle should remain.

Btw even if the finish of the rifle was raped by the company that sold the rifle I still think it has a nice look to it and if that was the only live firing Karabiner I could lay my hands on I'd still go with it - though I would have the bolt blued and the stock treated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok just because that Mitchell's Mausers screwed up the finish and authenticity of the rifle doesn't mean that the shooting experience will be any different than that from an original Kar98K with original finish intact, the recoil, noise and smell of burnt gunpowder is still the same so the satisfaction and enjoyment of shooting a high powered rifle should remain.

Maybe, but selling something as what it is not - now that's diffrent.

Kinda like I get my hands on NVA parade uniform and then claim it is a genuine nazzee uniform of WW2 (they do bear a minor resemblence with each other, specifically with the so-called M40 tunic) and then someone would buy it and then say "Hi guys I bought real german tunic for a good price" and then shows a picture and everyone else is the doing facepalms and ranting "Omfg you've been screwed."

Upvote 0
Ok just because that Mitchell's Mausers screwed up the finish and authenticity of the rifle doesn't mean that the shooting experience will be any different than that from an original Kar98K with original finish intact

the fact that it's a $250 russian capture being sold as an original means even with their refinishing it still shoots like a russian capture... generally original bringbacks even those with a non matching bolt have a smoother operation and a smoother trigger pull... most russian captures from my experience have a rough trigger in comparison

Upvote 0
Isn't the important thing here that Gwarokk is happy with his purchase?

How he want his Mauser to look is his business I reckon and it is not my place to tell him how it should or shouldn't look. It is a gun, a tool and it is 60+ years old - no wonder if all its parts does not have matching serial numbers or if it needs a new stock and it is fortunate that barrel haven't been worn out. Using parts from other weapons as replacements in other weapons is not unusual in todays militaries so one can't expect a 60+ year old weapon to consist only of the original parts it was assembled with the day it left the weapons factory.

Upvote 0