• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Map strategies going totally arse over elbow

silent assassin

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2007
Has anyone been on a defensive map, say stalingrad as axis, only to find that your axis teamates dont want to give up the warehouse, so the soviets just lie in wait for them inside. Then as the match continues, the russian team doesnt attack at all the just linger around the warehouse then let the german team run to them, so the maps situation has gone from defensive to offensive. The team that was origionally defending gets their reinforcement tickets totally slashed coz they have less to start with.

Yet when i try to convice the attacking team to quit sitting around & cap some objectives & the defending team to camp their objectives, i am told that im a noob or dont understand the gameplay, am i missing something here? Would i be better off with a mic to give orders to my team or will i be totally ignored?

although this usually only happens on 50 player servers, it can get damn annoying as defending team, yet i get totally fed up as attacking team. One time i even got through leningrad (2 rounds) without getting killed & only capping points added to my score, not many kills at all.

If you give what seem to be sensible orders in VOIP in a game, you are much more likely to be heard and obeyed. Any order in the chaos seems to attract followers. There is so much one can do by stepping into the void and taking charge.

As for the strategies you mention, in Stalingradkessel the axis has to limit their aggressiveness to limited counter-attacks to keep desirable defensive positions. Once those positions are outflanked or made untenable due to the number of opponents, then they have to be given up. If you can't reinforce a position, you shouldn't be counter-attacking to regain it, especially if those counter-attacks are going in as 1 or 2-man attacks.

On the defensive maps the attackers must attack or they will lose. Unless the defenders are making suicidal charges, then it makes sense to mow them down, and cap after they are gone. But it isn't as much fun, and you might still run out of time.

Additionally, working forward on most maps as an individual will result in your advance being wasted. If you can buddy up with at least one other, then your advance might be held onto and used to continue the assault. If you can get a fire team to advance, then you make real progress.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If this only happens on 50 player servers to you, consider yourself lucky.
Welcome to RO pubbing. Anyways, as jones said, it is possible to actually order your team around but it just takes too much time and energy and getting negative feedback when trying to like STFU and so on doesn't really make it worthwhile.

Upvote 0
this happens occasionally when I play. Its most annoying playing a map like Danzig or Basovka when no one will get in the cap. The only thing you can do is shout a lot and hopefully people get the message. And play on good pub servers. I tend to find servers like TWB, Lausiter and Luftwaffe tend to have a good community or at least enough sensible heads that you can start getting some of the team organised.

Upvote 0
50 Player servers kill the gameplay on almost any map. You picked StalingradKessel as an example, which is one of the worst maps for 50 players. Stuff like Berezina, Kriegstadt or even Leningrad might work with 50 peeps, most of the stock maps or in general the smaller maps wont work with 50 people and will transform into some headless chicken nonsense....50 players on Danzig, anyone?

more on topic: Go check out some 32 player servers. Still, its public, but its less crowded and you got a better chance of actually influencing the game and your teammates...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not necessarily, i just had a good couple of games through leningrad, stalingrad & bdj.

Saame thing happend as above on stalingrad, but after 1st round i started dishing out orders & tips ie where to cut of enemies in choke points etc. We sucessfully won both rounds because a couple of ppl where directing the battle in some way or form. For most of the third round i was hiding in assembly telling ppl which doors to cover, where to put an mg etc.

If tripwire's next game is going to have similar sort of gameplay to RO, maybe allow the squad leader to assign 1 or 2 sub commanders which gives them additional voice comms so they can direct troops in their vicinity.

Upvote 0
If tripwire's next game is going to have similar sort of gameplay to RO, maybe allow the squad leader to assign 1 or 2 sub commanders which gives them additional voice comms so they can direct troops in their vicinity.

That's a good idea. Make one squad leader and then 2 or 3 fire team leaders who can give orders but not call in artillery or throw smoke.

Upvote 0
Again, this map is pretty easy to win if you have veteran tiger tank crews & a couple of good group leaders. Also you need to know how to use the panzer 4 to deflect shots (anglisn at 11:45 or 1:15 on your tank hud). The best way to win the map is to have the majority of the team go for forward north, while the rest go for forward south, then cap north, then south, then north then both parties reunite at south, keeping two of your command tanks in the trees really helps because you can spot enemy tanks for your team.

Upvote 0