• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Question] Really bogged down.

kirby34

Jun 3, 2006
As someone who has been playing RO on the same computer since late '06, I'm befuddled by my recent problems that started sometime last week.

I haven't installed or un-installed any hardware or software.
Neither my pings nor my FPS have changed dramatically.
I haven't changed any settings.
Heck, I haven't even played on any new maps.
None of the other games I play, whether online or offline, show any problems.

All that being said, no matter what map I'm playing or what server or what my ping is, the game has become extremely laggy/boggy and I can't figure out why.

Here's an example. I'll be playing an Orel map and my ping will be 100 and I'll be averaging 40-45 FPS (normal since the day I started playing). I'm in a tank and I'll press (and let go of) "a" to turn a bit to the left and the tank will react like I'm holding the button down as I end up doing nearly a 180-degree turn. Similarly, if I'm in the turret and I want to do a slight correction with the barrel, the turret turns way too far.

Before anyone thinks my keys are sticking, they aren't. Like I said, I don't have a problem in any other game or program. If I try to type stuff on the chat, the characters don't repeat, but they do appear a couple seconds after I type them.

While all this is going on, the actual gameplay is going at the usual speed - it's not like my computer is getting COMPLETELY bogged down to the point that the game also slows down or stutters. It's also not like there's a huge delay like normal lag - if I press a key or mouse button, the first action will occur at the normal speed, it's just that that action tends to continue long after the key or button is released.

This isn't happening EVERY time I press a key or button, but it's pretty darn close - probably 50-75%.

I just have no idea what's causing it since I haven't changed anything and RO is the only game/program that's having this problem. Oh, lastly, I don't think it's the last update either, because Steam updated that the day of the release and everything was fine. Again, the problem started just within the last week.

Even though I was 99% sure it wasn't related, I already did go through all my background processes and tried turning them off one-by-one, including my A-V stuff, and nothing has helped. I can only assume it's a problem with either Steam or RO.

Strange. I have no idea what causes this, but it can't hurt to rule out a few general things:

Defrag your harddrive, or just let steam defrag your game content. This can be done somewhere when right-clicking the game in the steam menu. Should be self-explanatory, but I don't know how the buttons are called exactly.
A fragmentated hd can cause something like lag-spikes but with the fps.

If you are using a wireless keyboard, make sure the batteries aren't empty or close to empty and that the receever isn't too far away!

Make sure your keyboard is properly connected to the PC and check the driver or better yet re-install it. The ones that come with Windows work well enough for regular keyboards, in case you don't want to search for a specific one on the internet. Maybe someone fell over the cable and it got lose or something. Stuff like that happens.
Go to your device manager, and uninstall the keyboard. Reboot and windows auto-detect it. It should install the driver automatically.

Let your Anti-Virus program check your system.

Let HijackThis check your system and post the Log file here. Don't fix anything yet unless you know what you are doing!

More specific:
This is the first time I heard of that function, but read this:
http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/board/showpost.php?p=307662&postcount=4
and make sure you don't have that active.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions, Murphy. I had checked the fragmention for RO and it was at 0%. I ran the defrag anyhow and it took all of less than 1 second to finish. I had already tried swapping out both my keyboard and mouse - both are wired. I do AV scans (I use Avast) every week and none have been found.

I neglected to point out a couple other things in my initial post.

The same phenomenon is occurring when I play in Practice Mode.
I've tried playing RO with Steam being offline and tried playing on a public server and also in Practice Mode - same result.
I've played in Practice Mode with no internet connection at all - same result.
Resolution or Render Device doesn't matter either. Heck, I even forced into OpenGL (it's normally a choice for me in the dropdown) and that didn't help.

RO is basically suddenly acting like a huge resource hog. The bogginess is really evident if I'm doing some admin stuff. I play RO in a window and I flip back-and-forth between the game and my browser. I've never had problems doing that in past, but now if I'm typing on my browser or notepad with the game open, I get the same big delay effect. I do the same flipping back-and-forth when playing quite a few of my other games and I'm not having problems with them.

I'd never had the occasion to look at the Task Manager with RO running, but I now see that Mem Usage for RO is ~600,000K and VM Size is upwards of 900,000K. Is that normal?

Upvote 0
I have had the same problem in the past. I solved it defragging the local game content and checking fragmentation in the Steam console, all that murphy told. It worked fine for me. I guess i began having this problem when i manually deleted some corrupted files (textures of a mod).

The game have been working fine for a long time, until now. Now i have other problem: my FPS frezzing to 0-5 fps each like 15 seconds for like 1/2 sec, whichever been the map or what i am doing. I can play but is really uncofortable. I have checked running processes and all OK, it seems to be Ro problems again, but the defragginmg didnt solve it now :mad:, may be i should reinstall too, i ll try to delete the redorchestra.ini or that .dll to check it before.

Upvote 0
Well, I've run out of ideas.

First, I tried the "Delete local content" in Steam and then had it re-download the game. No change. Still seeing the same ping and FPS that I always have, but with the really bad lag/bog only when RO is running.

Next, I did the "Delete local content," then deleted the whole Red Orchestra folder structure in the ...\Steam\SteamApps\common directory, and did the re-download. No change.

I actually have the original boxed version of the game. Maybe I ought to delete everything, including Steam (since RO is the only game I play that uses Steam), and re-insall from the CD. I can only imagine what sort of mess that's going to cause. Haha. I'm just curious to see if I still see the same problem using a very old version of the game.

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to give up for now as I've run out of ideas.

I tried deleting game content via steam and re-d/l'ing the game - no change.
I tried deleting game content PLUS going in manually to delete the entire Red Orchestra tree in the ...\SteamApps\common directory and then re-d/l'ing the game - no change.
I even deleted the RO directory AND uninstalled Steam. Then re-installed the game from my original CD's, though that didn't accomplish much since Steam still had to d/l the updated game anyhow. Still no change.

Upvote 0
I don't quite understand what happened, but it looks like my problem is solved for now.

I decided to start un-installing programs I knew I could re-install with little or no problems. If un-installing them didn't help RO gameplay, I re-installed them after testing. Well, after I completley un-installed Avast, the gameplay in RO suddenly reverted back to the way it was before. I tested it offline (no internet connection) in Practice Mode and then went online and played on a public server and everything was back to "normal."

As another test, I re-installed Avast, brought up RO, and gameplay is still okay. I guess simply disabling it before wasn't enough, but completely un-installing was. The thing I don't quite understand is why RO didn't go back to being laggy/boggy after I re-installed Avast, but then again, maybe I should just be happy and move on.

Of course, I also don't understand why Avast would suddenly affect RO gameplay when I initially installed Avast long before the lag/bog started. In any case, things are back to normal and hopefully they'll stay that way.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Upvote 0
Have not looked but off the top of my head and if I remember rightly it is possible to set Avast to "not interrogate" desired programs.
I remember doing so a couple of years ago when I first installed Avast.
I look after a whole bunch of computers and for me personally, Avast is the pick of the crop...

Upvote 0
there is known issue with Avast 4.8 which was released some week ago (and that's why You got the problem all of sudden as the automatic update is done rnd 7-14 days after release)

the issue is with keyboard / mouse lag was reported to mainly affect games like WoW ...

atm there is beta version which fixing most of the lag / sync issues tho there are still some irks to solve ...

even Avast! 4.8 was in public testing for nearly month this was missed because the antirootkit and self defense component is quite complex

beta version can be downloaded from this thread on official Alwil Avast forum
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34612.0

p.s. this is not all what was fixed, there were some other very nasty hidden issues

no wonder whole Alwil is working overtime to fix these as it's first time in last 2 years when official build cause broad issues

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just found out you are correct, Dwarden.

I had re-installed Avast using the file I originally d/l'd which was 4.7. After my computer re-booted a bit ago, it updated to 4.8 and RO went back to being laggy/boggy. So I just re-installed 4.7 and RO was okay again.

Thanks for the link to their forum. I hadn't checked over there yet.

Upvote 0
Sticky?

Sticky?

Virus Software can easily upset the applecart!
I remember having this problem too, and fortunately i hadnt played in a while and as i was playing Avast updated and wanted a reboot... being annoyed by the lag i thought why not.. and problem went away.

While it didnt affect me much clearly others were.
so with all previous posts and experience ppl should be looking here b4 blaming good ol ' RO

:)
Cheers Sined_Oz

Upvote 0