• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Bayonet or shoot?

When pubbing and playing matches, ALWAYS SHOOT!! (However honorific you may be about shoving you bayonet into someone's chest)

It helps if
A) You actually shoot the guy
B) You shoot him and it kills him, not just wounding, mind you
C) You shoot first. No sense in killing him if he kills you
D) If you miss, don't bolt, lunge at him with your bayo
E) If at step D), try and actually stab the guy
F) If at step D/E, stab the guy where it kills him. Again, no sense stabbing and shooting him if he just shrugs it off and shishkabobs you, gives you a new hole to breath through, or brains you with his Mosin Nagant

If friendly-scrimming or screwing around with folks your clan, ALWAYS bayo or bash back, as it is a major taboo to not do so. See steps E and F above for bayonetting.

Remember girls and boys, the guy you're trying to kill always has a longer reach than you. This is step #1 to becoming a bayo master.

EDIT: For the first part, don't shoot if it is a clan mate, friend, or person you know, as they will MOST CERTAINLY give you some sheisse for doing so, making you look like a nub pubber.

Finally, whenever leaving your spawn, ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS!!!! attach your bayonet. It may take you another second, but it may save you from the wrath of your friendly neighborhood spawnkiller, and also those annoying traffic jams at spawn exits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Greed is a sin for a reason

Greed is a sin for a reason

The other day at Danzig this Russian rifleman chased me from the wine cellar in the Command Center all the way up to the cap side balcony trying to bayonet me. As we ran I killed 3 of his commrads from the hip with my 44 and the only reason he eventually killed me is because by the time I turned to shoot him I had only 2 rounds left and succeeded only in shooting him in the arm.

However, if he had simply shot me he could have saved the lives of 3 of his friends. In addition, my 3 kills helped us cap the CC seconds before the Russians caped the Langermarkt. His decision to use the bayonet ultimately cost his team the game as time expired 60 seconds later.

I agree that getting a bayonet or rifle butt kill is satisfying but greed clouts common sense.

Using it behind enemy lines is always preferable to giving away your presence by shooting, however, in the instance that you successfully sneak up behind 3 enemy all at once, your best bet is likely to just throw a nade and run and hide.

This is easier to do if you are a German as the nades are much quieter than the sharp ping of the Soviet pineapple.

----Lowman

Upvote 0
I think its the most annoying thing when you are about to bayonet an enemy that for some reason does not notice you, and right before you stab the enemy your friend kills both of you with an SMG even though he saw you trying to bayo him, but just wants the kill for himself, even knowing he would kill you too (lots of times this is an accident though).

If I was the enemy that was about to get bayoneted and my friend killed someone that was gonna bayo me and killed me on accident obviously being tk'd is better than getting bayo'd, automatic np!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wire cutters are the new bayonet.
Double-barrelled ninja dances with a triple lutz dive-stabs in the eyes are a thing of the past. Bashing people's faces in with wire cutters is where it's at; you even get a new kill icon that denotes your l33tness.
Oh ****! I did not know that! :eek: Thanks for the heads up! :D

Upvote 0
I just started thinking how cool an entrenching tool would be. It could have two "fire" modes. Fast hack&slash with somewhat equivalent efectiveness to pistols, i.e. one hit in the head or a couple elsewhere will kill, and a slow one that would separate limbs and heads. :eek:

For l33t crew there would be also a simple fork. Two hits in the head would render the victim blind and screaming until he is killed by someone. The fork guy would get 5 points for this trick. :D

Upvote 0
I usually try to hip-fire them, and if I miss, I take one of two options: If it is an enemy rifleman, I will try to bolt if they are far away/ I have no bayonet. If not I will charge. Sometimes I have found myself in very close quarters combat and we both run out of ammo, and it results in an epic bayonet battle.

What I do not understand is the people who use the M19/30 or whatever it's called, especially when a M44 or M38 is allowed. The M38 is much better for hip-fire and it has less sway. The M44 has both those options PLUS a fixed bayonet, and the fixed bayonet is the best. This is because the gun is designed to have the bayonet on, not off, meaning it is still balanced with the bayonet attached (no extra sway).

Upvote 0