• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Carpathian Crosses: Official Opinion Topic

Awesome mod!

Mortar glitches: Everything that's been said PLUS: When using a mortar in practice mode, I was able to deploy it and undeploy it fine, but when one of my teammates died I picked up his rifle! I shot the Russian and took his rifle to!:confused:

Overall I was carrying a mortar, 2 rifles, a pistol, binoculars, and 2 grenades.
I could cycle through my rifles and mortar by pressing 1 repeatedly. I was playing on Maikop.

Upvote 0
Okay, some thoughts after playing.

1) Guns.
The ZB-30 sounds a bit awkward. The sound seems to much out of tune with the rest of the sounds. Though I have to say I love they way your avatar will crouch if you're trying to reload on the run, excellent!
As for Mannlicher and vz. 24 they are OK as far as sound goes (well, that's an understatement - the power of the sound is great; now if only someone brought the rest of the guns up to this standard), but the bolting animation seems so abrupt coming in so fast after the shot. Feels somehow strange. Also, is it just me or is there no visible recoil on these? I mean, probably after the exaggerated recoil of stock guns, these will feel strange, but... hmm, I don't know.
Steyr pistol. Well, somewhat of a let down. The reload animation leaves me asking for more - the way the breach is close makes it look like it's a kid's toy, not a real, hefty, gun.

2) Player models.
Awesome. Just awesome. Love the Marine Infantry. I tip my hat to whoever made that (although one note - decals will have the colour of the standard uniform, not blue; don't know if you can solve this). Amoebas seem nice, but I haven't noticed yet - is the colour of your sleeves different when wearing these?

3) Vehicles and the damage model.
Perfect. Very nice. Is the damage model going to be extended to the rest of stock vehicles and later to the customs that are out there? I deplore you, please do that! That'll be epic!
Definitely makes for way higher tension if I, say, turn the corner just to see a tank standing in the distance - instinctively it'll have me back up and try to flank or wait out... just to learn that the bloody thing had been empty all along! Had just one instance like that where I drove the clowncar into a ditch, leaving me stranded far from safe positions, alone, with a wave of enemies coming in... The emotion!

4) Mortar.
Ingenious. Bugged as of yet, sadly, but it's an extremely promising feature. I mean, last night when I say the kill console fill up with 6 or more deathmessages after our mortar man hit, I presume, a HT - that was priceless. Both sides congratulated the guy (Dr. Strangelove was his nick, IIRC) on that shot and I can see just why. Also, the psychological factor of coming under mortar fire is something to experience - there you are, holed up, when suddenly you hear grenade explosions... no, wait - that's MORTAR! HLEP!

5) Maps.
Seeing as Ardon comes from Dr. Guppy, it's no wonder the thing'll rank up there along Leningrad epics. Maybe, just maybe slightly more reinfo for Soviets - running out with 12 minutes on the clock felt... depressing, but it was exciting to wait some 10 minutes, until being overrun.

Dofinofka? Classic, for me. Not only is that a night map, but it's also got them Marines, black smoke and a bell. Grats on the attention to detail. Love the design, too.

Well, the map with the furniture factory - feels kind of odd, being able to get in that capzone in some 20 seconds after respawn... makes it visibly hard for Axis to win and when it does come, I feel like "oh, noes, and this huge group of us was just about to run into the capzone to tip the scales back"... Hmm. Random, yes, random is the word I'd describe this one with. On a side note - don't them bloody Romanians have an Ikea or something in their Transylvanian castles? Must they come down to Soviet Russia for some nice furniture? No wonder Stalin had it defended that hard - those guys sure don't look like they're going to pay for their coffee tables!

The map with the bridge is also very nice.

Don't know about the rest yet.

6) Additional features.

What's with that engine switch off thing? How do you do it? Any info on that in the manual? Couldn't find that.

And what's with those ranks? Didn't see anyone get any ranks in there... Is that in, or is it just going to be in in the next update?

Good idea with additional info for mappers, well done.

Well, all in all I feel this mod delivers. Great job, CC team!

Upvote 0
Pieces of feedback to be proud of...

Pieces of feedback to be proud of...

A few we've spotted:

On Gamespy stats at 2pm Eastern, 8pm Central European time - a full 20% of the RO players are playing the CC mod. Good going :)

Quote from Voodoo Extreme "Carpathian Crosses, an expertly made Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 total modification"

You got a headline posting on Blues News...

Good release - justifiably well recieved! Now you get all the fun of everyone critiquing your work - the bad news would be if no-one could be bothered to comment :)

Overall - a very fine first release - now get back to work and give us some more, please!!

Upvote 0
Just a Great Mod,with a lot of attention to detail.The Mortars are a very nice addition.Im still having trouble telling the difference from friend or foe,but that will just take time to learn.

MaiKop>as stated by a Few posters.I seen the Floating guys,also experienced some very odd things there (Warping,unable to get from prone at top of hill,sliding around like a snake on speed.

Other than that I'm having lots of fun with this Mod,,Thx CC Team,,:cool:

Edit--Is there a D/L or trailer with the mortar instructions/how to?I seen the one on utube is that the only 1 or a read me? thx

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just a Great Mod,well done with a lot of attention to detail.The Mortars are a very nice addition.Im still having trouble telling the difference from friend or foe,but that will just take time to learn.Bravo Zulu to all involved.

MaiKop>as stated by a Few posters.I seen the Floating guys,also experienced some very odd things there (Warping,unable to get from prone at top of hill,sliding around like a snake on speed.

Other than that I'm having lots of fun with this Mod,,Thx CC Team,,:cool:

I notice that problem too when I sprint across that hill like a rat on crack, and finding people floating in mid-air just seems odd. Also when I descend from the hill there are times where I could fall right through the ground and blue patterns would appear.

Upvote 0
Another little issue I noticed is that crew can be killed through tank even though the armor is not penetrated by the "round".- happend I think on the RMF mod as well.
How do you know the round penetrated or not ?
Plus, there can always be lethal or wounding internal projections even if the hit doesn't penetrate irl...

Upvote 0
Sidus Preclarum said:
How do you know the round penetrated or not ?
Plus, there can always be lethal or wounding internal projections even if the hit doesn't penetrate irl...
Surely you notice the "Penetration effect" or when a round deflects and no unless the steel quality is very poor or the round throughly overmatches the armor or the round has alot of energy behind it ( ISU-152 for example). Those 3 "ifs" are not applicable currently with the tanks and anti-tank weapons.

Upvote 0
Seeing as Ardon comes from Dr. Guppy, it's no wonder the thing'll rank up there along Leningrad epics. Maybe, just maybe slightly more reinfo for Soviets - running out with 12 minutes on the clock felt... depressing, but it was exciting to wait some 10 minutes, until being overrun.

What's with that engine switch off thing? How do you do it? Any info on that in the manual? Couldn't find that.

And what's with those ranks? Didn't see anyone get any ranks in there... Is that in, or is it just going to be in in the next update?

The reinforcement issue on Ardon is known. This kind of thing happens when you only have 20 testers or less during test sessions and a North American mapper who can't make it to any of the tests anyways! :eek: Engine is switched off with the X or 'change ammo type' key. Ranks come in the form of visible shoulder patches on the player models. They're not earned or anything it's just a visual enhancement.

Overall - a very fine first release - now get back to work and give us some more, please!!

Thanks to TWI for the release support! We're already working on the new fixes and content for the patch. :D

Is there a D/L or trailer with the mortar instructions/how to?I seen the one on utube is that the only 1 or a read me? thx

My advice would be to load up Ardon (750m view distance) online, plunk yourself down on a hill overlooking one of the fields, and just start lobbing shells. See where the shell hits, then make a small angle or vent adjustment and then fire again. After a few minutes you should get the hang of it. Pretty soon it won't just be fields that fear you. ;)

If you're going to run CC in practice mode you need to open up the console (~ key) and type in open RO-Mapname (eg. open RO-Maikop) to load up the correct CC gametype.

Upvote 0
The reinforcement issue on Ardon is known. This kind of thing happens when you only have 20 testers or less during test sessions and a North American mapper who can't make it to any of the tests anyways! :eek: Engine is switched off with the X or 'change ammo type' key. Ranks come in the form of visible shoulder patches on the player models. They're not earned or anything it's just a visual enhancement.

Thanks to TWI for the release support! We're already working on the new fixes and content for the patch. :D

My advice would be to load up Ardon (750m view distance) online, plunk yourself down on a hill overlooking one of the fields, and just start lobbing shells. See where the shell hits, then make a small angle or vent adjustment and then fire again. After a few minutes you should get the hang of it. Pretty soon it won't just be fields that fear you. ;)

If you're going to run CC in practice mode you need to open up the console (~ key) and type in open RO-Mapname (eg. open RO-Maikop) to load up the correct CC gametype.
I quite enjoyed it. I didn't have much time to play but starting out on the map that takes place at night was really neat. I had a hell of a blast playing it.

Upvote 0
Here's that foxhole in Ardon I was talking about

tnshot00005xe2.jpg

Also, I and Trendkill asked if it is possible to jamm the turret with ATR bullet placed in the right spot, but noone answered. So, is it? :)

Upvote 0