• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Carpathian Crosses: Official Opinion Topic

I posted this before, not sure if anyone got it ? You know how there's a map (Ardon) where the Germans and Romanians fight alongside , if you use the voice commands as a German does he speak in German or is it only in Romanian ? I thought it be cool if you could give each sides their own languages on the same map.
progress.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...thats because its a heavenly map :D
The map is called Maikop and I made it, but in all the times we've tested it, we never came across corpses floating to heaven...
We'll (well the smartypants coder dudes) take a look into it

Actually, while playing Maikop on a mostly empty server (2 other guys as the allies), and when I went to the top of the mountain, I would go into prone and move insanely fast no matter where I went. And when they killed me, they said I floated. You should look into it. :p

Upvote 0
I posted this before, not sure if anyone got it ? You know how there's a map (Ardon) where the Germans and Romanians fight alongside , if you use the voice commands as a German does he speak in German or is it only in Romanian ? I thought it be cool if you could give each sides their own languages on the same map.
progress.gif

They do have their own languages. The Schutzen speak German, the Puscasi Romanian.

Upvote 0
Actually, while playing Maikop on a mostly empty server (2 other guys as the allies), and when I went to the top of the mountain, I would go into prone and move insanely fast no matter where I went. And when they killed me, they said I floated. You should look into it. :p
same thing happened to me yesterday. anyway, Two thumbs up for this mod,:D and i am also wondering if there could be a little bit more Axis reinforcements on Maikop. cuz we guys sometimes found ourselves hunted by Russians at the end of the round.:confused:

Upvote 0
This mod KICKS MY ***!

Ardon and Maikop are especially amazing. Those two are destined to be RO classics up there with Leningrad, Konigs, etc...I felt like I was in some badass 60's WW2 commando movie fighting on that bridge ;) Lyes Krovy wishes it were that good of a trench map. The grass is awesome + good for cover, and there's that wonderful mistiness about it.

Can't wait till they fix the FPS issues on the hills on Ardon :)

I'm going to have to go visit the Carpathians now in RL. Beautiful. Honestly, this brings a sense of freshness to RO that was sorely needed. I feel like I'm playing a different game (with the same awesome mechanics ;)) Scenery is breathtaking, even on RO's aging engine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I could not use the mortar in training mode on the Maikop map. No mortar bombs. I could deploy the mortar and get out with Z but could not get back in with Z.

Exactly my problem. In fact I can find no difference in actual play mode,that is if you have [Use] bound to the <z> key. I have it bound to the <t> key.

There are a number of problems with the mortar:

1) Unless you deploy the mortar, you cannot see how many rounds you are carrying.
2) The mortar crewman does not seem to be able to pickup or carry mortar rounds at all, so there is no way to practice with the mortar.
3) Deploying is done by pressing the "Fire" button and not the "Ironsights" button as with the MG's. Try to figure that one out in the heat of a battle *duh*.
4) Once deployed, it cannot be dismantled again. It's locked to the ground at that position for ever, and if you drop it (press the "Use" button), you cannot pick it up again.
5) Once deployed the mortar seems to act like a disabled tank. It wont move, and upon approaching it asks "Get in: M1939 mortar".
6) The mortar crewman doesn't get range read-outs, when looking through his binocular, strange.

Light mortars like the 50mm M1939 should work very similar to MG's as they are also crew serviced weapons. Deploy and dismantle should be done through the "Ironsights" button exactly as with MG's.

On the Maikop map on a server I could not see any explosions though I had the tube at 75 degrees and the vents fully open. Maybe it takes some practice runs.

I assume that the vents start closed (dark) and the more the indicator goes to light, the more they are opened, but being that it is impossible to practice with this complicated weapon, I just can't tell for sure.

So my question is: is there a simple training map with some obvious targets, bots for instance.

For the rest. Great sound on the ZB30. Scares the hell out of me. Get down in the dirt immediately.

The description of the mortar in the UsersManual is so-oo-oo miserable! :eek: It tells you nothing about what keys do what nor how it should be used!

I am very impressed with what has been produced with CC, but simple things like this take a lot of the sparkle out of the product. :(

Upvote 0
When you open CC maps through the practice menu things wont work. Its a problem we are not able to prevent atm, and one drawback of how we implemented our work.

You can however correctly load the map practice with opening the console and typing: open RO-Maikop
This will give you shells, and things should run as intended.

The vent is fully open when deploying btw. You should check the mortar tutorial vid we created, it gives detailed info about how it works. (http://www.carpathiancrosses.com/forum/index.php?topic=801)

There is no training map atm. Beside other things we are short on mappers and time ;) We will see if we can come up with something in the future.

Upvote 0
I've had my first (lot's) kills as a spotter! Wooho! I must say, it's hard science to master. I have questions: if I'm, say, 50m NW of mortarman, and I get 70m distance NE of me, when I give coords, my mortarman will get those 70m or 120m? Will he get message to aim E or N, where the target really is?
Also, pls change uniform of spotter to normal ameoba, not urban. I feel as a sitting duck atm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Me again!(sorry for my broken English)
It is such a great idea to integrate the mod with RO:O, I didnt expect that I can play a new mod with 50 players in the first day the mod release! If it was not integrated, I think this mod being one of the greatest ever made would be wasted.Now, with integration, the mod will live with RO forever.

Compare to MN beta, I have installed it for more than a week, but I never saw one single player in a server, it doesn't mean that the mod is not good ,actually those maps are nice, but it is something about marketing and promotion(although it is free).We all know that RO is a relatively small gaming community,usually not more than 1200 players(bots included)during peak hours, (record high is 20XX players during free guest pass period).

Another example is the FH mod of BF2, IMO it is already dead.(not even dying).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The reason why MN & DH wont be integrated is because of the limitations of where they want to take the games.

The drastically different arenas mean that integration will do the exact opposite of what they intend to deliver in terms of game play & content!

Once the next installment of MN arrives, the players will flood back. Hopefully they will like it and the numbers will remain stable.

Due to the popularity of the Western Front, Im sure the DH team will have no such problems after their first release. They have a much larger Dev team and the content will be much greater to appease the masses! :)

Upvote 0
Two other issues.

Two other issues.

I've heard about two other issues too for some odd reason. I haven't seen them myself. First is in Maikop on that same hill I mentioned earlier I heard people saying that weird things happen up there when running across the ridge. Sort of what someone mentioned while prone up there and all of a sudden moving real fast around it etc.

Another thing I've been hearing is that when people join a server and Ardon is picked they have to download the map from the server and the server is not even set up this way, so it takes them forever to get the map. So is there a difference between what the client has for Ardon and what the server has?

On our server this did not happen to me but it did happen to a few people who joined our server to play while Ardon was playing. I explained to them that their Ardon must have been corrupt or different for some reason. I guess a quick fix would be add just the maps to the quick download for a just in case scenario...

Upvote 0
Great mod!

I had no idea that Romania's involvement in the Second World War was so eventful. Now that I've done a little reading on the subject, I see that mapmakers could do all sorts of things with Romanian forces--up to and including having them fight against the Germans late in the war.

Can't wait to see what comes next from the CC team.

Upvote 0