• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Map is blurry online but fine in Practice mode

To be absolutely sure, select all brushes (you can do this by selecting one brush, then going to Select > All Brushes, just be sure to de-select your main subtraction cube) and then delete them. Do a rebuild and see if the errors are gone. If they are gone, go back to a previous version and delete all of the zone portals and rebuild. Keep doing similar tests (whole buildings, all subtraction brushes, etc.) until you narrow it down. I know it's painful but that's the best way I know of. :(

Upvote 0
yep i have done groups of buildings and no group seems to make it go away so either I have multiple errors or the error is at the global level. Can Subtraction brushes that protrude into other subtraction space cause a problem? Like a subtraction of a subtraction space?

well its not a zone portal issue either I removed all of them and still have HOM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
alright friends it seems that the problem lies in my fog somehow below are two pics one of the skyzone and one of the main zoneinfo. When I turn distance fog off all together the HOM goes away. When I turn on just the zoneinfo Fog the HOM can be found. when I turn on just the Skyzone fog no HOM has been found as of yet so what is wrong with these pictures:confused:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • zoneinfo.JPG
    zoneinfo.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
narrowing down my issue here it seems that there is a deadzone in my map that if you enter it all fog disappears which is why I thought it was the fog if you turn fog off you cannot see where the zone is and dont get HOM. the deadzone is totally invisible. Anyone know how to resolve this type of issue or do I just delete buildings till it goes away and then readd them? If I readd them do I need to build them from scratch so as not to reintroduce the problem? Thanks.

Upvote 0
narrowing down my issue here it seems that there is a deadzone in my map that if you enter it all fog disappears which is why I thought it was the fog if you turn fog off you cannot see where the zone is and dont get HOM. the deadzone is totally invisible. Anyone know how to resolve this type of issue or do I just delete buildings till it goes away and then readd them? If I readd them do I need to build them from scratch so as not to reintroduce the problem? Thanks.

Hey Hammer, I have ran into those dead zones before and it seems they are a result of bsp holes. Sometimes these zone are close to the actual bsp hole and sometimes they are a little ways away. Best thing to do is start transfering each brush object to a new empty map until the zone is clear. Then you know which brush is the problem and can be fixed and rebuilt faster in an empty map and transfer back. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I think that I have narrowed it down and I am deleting a collection of brushes at a time and rebuilding I think though it might be a couple of holes causing this problem. I didnt build the BSP I inherited it but at any rate. I have put everything on the grid and that didnt help so it is not an easily seen hole. I should have just started over by now but stubbornly thought I could fix it. I have made it better because now the HOM can only be seen if you use optics of some sort. I thought for sure I had it whipped by deleting a few pieces building and testing which worked great, but another full build and test brought the errrors back (without changing anything!)

Upvote 0
The biggest issue of this was that the World Subtraction was to tall when your world cube is taller than the blue and red line in your Front View it causes all sorts of problems I have not seen this info anywhere else so mappers beware. I made the world subtraction much smaller and all was much better after that.

I don't think is true. The main world subtraction cube on Ardon is 21000 UU below the red line and 78000 UU above the blue line without any HOM issues, despite there being over 1200 brushes in the map. Could your main world subtraction cube have been slightly off the grid perhaps? That can cause a world of goblin-induced hurt right there.

Upvote 0
Let me re-state this a bit because I got my problems mixed up. I still dont know about the HOM issue it went away without me really finding the cure. The world box issue though solved my problem of the sky flickering like the skybox would disappear at certain points in the map which was very annoy this though was definitely fixed by limiting the height. Everything was on grid though that is the first thing I checked when I started having problems.

Upvote 0