• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Disappointed in Rainbow? Me 2, thinking about starting a UT 3 mod

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Just wanted to get the notice out there I'm thinking about starting a UT 3 mod. The most recent releases of Rainbow 6 have been very disappointing to me as a realism fan (they aren't bad games, they are just bad Rainbow games).

Now for posting here (a hub of realism enthusiasts), I was wondering if any modders here would want to participate in such an effort. I want to see if I can put together a decent core team before going further (web page, advertising, announcements, full on production).

They way I see the market is wide open for such a mod right now, and anybody who can get there first will pick up the prize. And also at a later date, depending on TWI's next game turns out to be there might be an opportunity to port all or parts of the mod to game 2.

So, anybody interested shoot me off a pm or post here,

Thanks in advance.

1) While it might not be the most popular game in the world, it took 3 to 4 years for HL 1 to sell a million, then it took off with Counter Strike :) It isn't about where you build the game (tools are there for UT 3 so it is a great starinting point), it is about meeting your game/mod up with a community.

2) Never said it wasn't, but this is one of the reasons I'm seeing if I can build up support before going forward. I know well the troubles with making a mod, trust me :)

3) One game does not perfection make. Otherwise we wouldn't have new games now would we :). It is good to see a dev team out there making a realism game, don't get me wrong, but does this mean mods should stop?

As I said, this post is mainly to see if I find enough like minded people to begin such a project.

Upvote 0
    I love R6 Vegas on my 360, but I know what you mean it's nothing like the Rainbow series of old, it's much less hardcore.

I'd be interested, I've been considering being part of another mod project for a while now and I could potentially help with Audio Production in particular, but also I'd be interested in getting experience again as producer or associate, if you'd like a chat about it my xfire is below, I like your idea.

Upvote 0
    I like the idea ...

because it is Yoshi's idea
    I would like to play some like this
    UT 3 maybe not the most popular game at the moment but it is the best game to mod for imo
    the stuff DraKon2k posted looks ... well not very attractive

My skills are limited at the moment but I am learning and even if I have other plans I like this idea ...

Upvote 0
    I have no technical skills whatsoever but i do very much appreciate this idea!
    If you manage to pull this one off i found myself a new personal hero!
    It would be ffing great having a proper Rainbow Six-style game or mod again, as i too (as most of you know) freaking hate how Lockdown and Vegas turned out, and i cant think of those games without going mad instantly, let alone with what they did with Ghost Recon and what Codemasters are probably doing right now with Operation Flashpoint 2...
    You get my utmost approval! :)

And about that marketing thing you mentioned, i could put up a space on my website if you want.
    It's not very known by any standards as of yet, but i am trying to get it more and more known through various forums and by Youtube profile etc.
    Something's better then nothing right? :)

Upvote 0
    But why not mod the CryEngine? I know it's slow, but it seems to offer more assets out of the box and by the time your mod goes off most likely the hardware will have caught up.

Well there's one good reason, apparently the Cryengine is absolute murder to mod with, everyone is saying its all the hassle and none of the enjoyment of nostril rape.. that seems to be the primary reason why people are in no particular hurry to pick up modding for the thing.

Upvote 0
    Besides: If you want something ala Rainbow Six but more realistic and good looking you need an engine that is good at handling in-door environments as well as a bit of out-door. The CryEngine is good at out-door but rather horrible at in-door. UE3 as well as UE2/2.5 are pretty good at both.
    The community is bigger too, which means more members and more accessible knowledge. The devs put more focus on people modding their game too and that shouldn't be forgotten either.

Upvote 0