• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Item Pick Up System

Just an observation along the lines of the theme of the post. The best way to describe the problem is to give you an example of what often, maybe always, happens.
I typically play as a rifleman and on most maps do not spawn with a pistol. When an MG or Sniper guy etc. gets killed by me I would very much like to pick up his pistol so I have at least some close quarters weapon. The pile of stuff that the dead guy leaves behind always has the pistol located under the grenades. If I still have my 2 grenades it is near impossible to pick up the pistol. This is very frustrating and should be addressed.
This could/should easily be fixed by just spreading the stuff the dead guy drops around a little. Just my two cents.

That's exactly what i was trying to say as an example =)

Upvote 0
In that example you could switch to your grenades and you should auto-switch your nades with the ones on the pistol. Your old nades hopefully didnt land right on top of the pistol again so you can now take it.

Hopefully they will get round to fixing stacking of items and put in an option to not have to auto switch. Once they do that the system should be fine.

Upvote 0
Neither the new or the old system work particulalry well, i frequently have to mess about normally when I am trying to get my new weapons ammo pouch, which is lying underneath...the new system is easier, but being able to drop your weapon first I think would make things even simpler, since it wont get in the way.
Course I'd just prefer it if we didn't have to get the ammo pouch at all , it may be realistic, but it's a bit ridiculous in gameplay terms imo...

Upvote 0
Just let me tell you what happened to me recently... it's really funny !!!

I am a German rifleman in Odessa, defending the Headquarters.
The machine gunner near me gets hit, so I dive for its weapon.
I've already thrown away my Kar98k when I pick up the MG34... all OK.
I frantically look around for the ammo and I saw it nearby.
I point to the ammo pack until I see the "Pick Up: 50 round 792x57mm ammo drums" white label. Hitting the key now I should be ready to go back to battle, but......
The MG ammo drum is stacked with the pistol pouch.
I immediately think "I need to pick up the pistol, so I will be able to pick up the pistol pouch and finally the MG ammo drum!!!" and I look for it.
I found the pistol nearby, I go for it but..... NOOOOOO !!!!!! The pistol is stacked with the nades !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then I switched to my nades, thrown them away, picked up the nades stacked with the pistol, picked up the pistol itself, turn to the pistol pouch, picked up the pistol pouch..... AND FINALLY THE MG AMMO DRUM !!!!!
YEEEESSSS I'VE DONE IT !!!!!!
Should be nice to earn some extra points for this..... I can assure it needs a certain level of skill !!!!!!

.........but I still LOVE this game ;)

Upvote 0
Picking up a whole bandolier of however many mags just by picking up the corresponding weapon would mean someone could take a weapon and all the ammo for it without even breaking their stride. That'd hurt gameplay more than having to fiddle around picking up all the ammo does by far. If I wanted to do that, I'd play CS.

I'm sorry but that is nonsense, suggesting that by making it easier to pick up fallen arms, the game will become like CS?

To compensate just introduce a time delay while you re-arm, this would be much better than faffing around trying to pick up the right ammo pouch.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but that is nonsense, suggesting that by making it easier to pick up fallen arms, the game will become like CS?

To compensate just introduce a time delay while you re-arm, this would be much better than faffing around trying to pick up the right ammo pouch.

If you got the ammo along with the weapon, you could pick up a new weapon without stopping or slowing down.

Upvote 0

Right now the separate ammo prevents every man and his dog from ditching his perfectly-good rifle for a fully-loaded PPSh or sniper. Please take some time and think about what the result of removing that feature will be: an easy way to bypass the class limits with zero penalty to the player or the team, a way for a player to simply cast their rifle aside, pick up a PPSh or StG and somehow magically collect several large and cumbersome loaded mags with it without even slowing down, and then rushing ahead to hip-spray for all they're worth. It would butcher not only any sense of realism but also the gameplay itself. If anything, it should take even longer to exchange weapons and ammunition.

If you really have that much trouble sorting out which pouch goes with what, take the rifle and go find an ammunition cache.

Upvote 0
I did.

It would make even less sense then, and they'd still be able to magically pick up a whole load of ammo plus the weapon without so much as slowing down. Arcadey gimmick which would ruin the realism and screw the gameplay. The current system forces you to make sure the area's clear before you attempt to swap weapons and so prevents abuse of the class limits and people sprinting across an MG's beaten zone just to swap out their bolt-action rifle for a semiauto. Again, if I wanted an army of people ALL with the PPSh, StG, sniper, etc., I would play CS. Not RO.

Upvote 0
Linking the ammo pouches to the guns would also eliminate those wonderfully tense times where, for whatever reason, you're stuck with a rifle or SMG that you weren't able to grab the ammo for. Counting shots and praying that you have enough rounds left in that drum magazine to take out the next enemy.

Probably the best moment I've had in RO was on Kriegstadt when I used up all my ammo as a Russian SMGer, killed thier Zugfuher with the last burst of my PpSH, picked up his MP-41, but was unable to find his ammo pouch (possibly because he had shot up all HIS ammo). Not two seconds after I picked up his weapon, another german comes in the door. I shoot but the magazine has about 4 rounds in it and only wounds him. Luckily, he was disoriented and I was able to nail him with my buttstock.

Upvote 0
Sorry I utterly disagree, but hey everyone has an opinion, and its good to hear yours :) ...I also play a lot of BF2: Project Reality mod, which is possibly even more hardcore realistic than RO is, yet there you can pick up a new kit/weapon without any faffing around, it certainly doesn't make the game like CS, and I trouble to see how getting players to also pick up the ammo pouch is benefiting realistic tactical play in any shape or form?

All you'd need to do is introduce a 4 maybe 5 second timer while you re-arm (by holding use key while pointing at the dropped weapon), I'd much prefer this, but I do also see why people can think the current system adds tension, but it also adds frustration in an equal dosage.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, frustration is driving halfway across Orel only to be tracked and disabled mere metres from the capzone, or repeatedly missing easy shots. I only swap out my weapon comparatively rarely but it's seldom a frustrating experience when I do. The ammo usually lands nearby and as a general rule, I'm picking up an entirely different class of weapon so the pouches are easily visually distinguishable.

I much prefer the current system over a delayed action as it makes more sense in realism terms (timed pickups are arcadey as hell) and it offers more interesting gameplay - not to mention that RO is the only game I know of that actually uses this system. I see no reason at all why Tripwire should redo the entire weapon pickup system just to make it like countless other shooters and take out one of the more interesting gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well lets agree to disagree on that point.

Another thing which might detract people from picking up other classes of weapons is to make it harder for people to use it reflecting that they have not been trained as effectively in that class.

E.g. it's unlikely that a Rifleman would be able pick up and use an MG with the same effectiveness, or an assault soldier picking up a sniper rifle for example...slightly more sway, a slightly longer weapon reload etc. could make it less attractive to pick up items, their class isn't trained to use.

But perhaps if the player stays alive for a few minutes with that weapon, they have gotten used to it, and these effects are negated for the remainder of play on that map...just another idea to throw out there!

Upvote 0