• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are there any good ww2 tank sims out there?

I've recently been looking online for a tanksim that is based in ww2.

But I can't find one that isn't based on action, or heroism, I just want a realistic tanksim.

I've tried stealbeasts and LOVED it, now I want a ww2 version of that.

The graphics don't have to be great (I have a pretty crappy graphics card)

Just a game in the stealbeasts, or OFP graphics range.

Any help would be appreciated. heck I'll even give you a cookie.

Heh, yeah, I tried the t-72 version of that, It ran poorly for mine too, But my bros computer ran it great, I had a good thrill on that game for a while.

I've tried panzer elite, It wasn't too great, the controls seemed to mix, so if I tried to jump to the driver spot and push the buttons to get it going, it would do things like rotate the gun as well as move the tank, it was strange. It kinda sucked, the only thing you could do without the whole tank flipping out is stay in the commander position and command it from there (I like to shoot and make adjustments to the tank in the driver position that the AI can't comprehend.)

Upvote 0
Yeah Birdy that's how panzer elite looked to me TBH - I got it on the cheep cheep and i'm in no rush to properly check it out yet- seems there are some mods for it as it goes.
Maybe check that Panzer commander though- i've not played for ages but back in the day i remember it being pretty good.
You could also phaps check out ww2 mods for OpFlash as it goes...

I think t34 vs tiger is gonna be a massive flop! Im gonna stear clear until they add more playable tanks!

Do you think it would flop for this specific reason alone, or have you added a personal objection? cos 2 vehicles on release is not a turn off for me and I doubt it will be, at least initially,for 99% of tank game fans.

After all most detailed flight sims run only a handfull of playable types- the rest being computer controlled ( notwithstanding IL2 i know)
It may however fail due to it's playability - either from a control or general gameplay point of view, or it's online performance, but generally I expect it to be decent and hopefully get mod attention in the future as well.
Bringing up IL2 again - this game could turn out to be the tracked equivelent - and thats almost got too many flyables now!

I know your opinion is that you can take to the bank the fact that TWI's follow up is a WW2 infantry and tank game - and i'm not gonna argue against that here.
But I still look to t-34... to offer something that the expected 'RO2' by it's very nature will not.
I think people expect this 'RO2', asides from being prettier and running better, to contain every single feature people have asked for in these forums. That may turn out to be a slightly rose-tinted vision of the future, and i would imagine a title like T-34.... more likely to fullfil a lot of the tank-sim type's wishes.

Now if was to be SU-122 vs Hummel I may be a bit concerned about the lack of available armour. But seeing as they will use 2 of the most famous, capable and exciting tanks of the war, I don't see this as a problem at all.
I'd happily tank in just those 2 types forever, providing the game's good.

Upvote 0
Well to be more specific then, I think the game wont be the simulator people hope for!

I personally have no time to play scripted single player games, and from what Ive read, t-34 vs Tiger is extremely scripted! T-34's act like those in RO, if not worse! Frontal hits do nothing. Also the general look of the game is nothing to write home about! I think TWI can do a much better job on UE3 tbh.

Also people wont like the online limitiations, as the online play will be the sole reason true enthusiasts will purchase this! How can you join a server and only fight against Tigers?! Thats just plain ridiculous!!

I'l probably get it once it gets a more refined multiplayer. If it ever does!

Upvote 0
Well to be more specific then, I think the game wont be the simulator people hope for!

I personally have no time to play scripted single player games, and from what Ive read, t-34 vs Tiger is extremely scripted! T-34's act like those in RO, if not worse! Frontal hits do nothing. Also the general look of the game is nothing to write home about! I think TWI can do a much better job on UE3 tbh.

by scripted do you mean in the way OFP is scripted in the missions? Is the AI said to be poor?
Also i dont understand what t-34s acting worse than Ro's means. You talk about lack of frontal pentration- can you elaborate plz?

I'm not defending the game, i've already said i had a confusing experience with the demo, i just would like to know specifically what's wrong with a game i'm looking forward to. Well, more than just the vehicle selection and comparison to a game that hasn't even been announced yet anyway.

Also people won't like the online limitiations, as the online play will be the sole reason true enthusiasts will purchase this! How can you join a server and only fight against Tigers?! Thats just plain ridiculous!!!

I think a lot of enthusiasts or 'sim' types you speak for actually enjoy coop teamplay missions more than mp deathmatch.

People were left to take on Tigers and the very capable PiiiL with 76mm armed t-34s and kv's in the only large tank map RO had for a long time.
The 85mm D5 or ZiS were pretty effective against the tiger - i think it's a decent matchup on paper.

I dunno you seem quite quick to write it off - until it's been declared a total disaster i would have thought just about everyone who callls themself a ww2 tank fan should be interested enough not to decide based on a grotty demo in russian and hearsay.

Upvote 0

Dont get me wrong, this has been something Ive been waiting for all my gaming life! Ive been trying to uncover as much info as possible and had it pre-ordered on Play.com

Just got a bit weary after seeing some vids & reading some bits n bobs, and canceled the order!

Im gonna go and re-order it and just keep my fingers crossed :eek:

Upvote 0

Also people wont like the online limitiations, as the online play will be the sole reason true enthusiasts will purchase this! How can you join a server and only fight against Tigers?! Thats just plain ridiculous!!

I'l probably get it once it gets a more refined multiplayer. If it ever does!

TBH I don't believe this. After seeing both demos(T34vsTiger and Kharkov41-42), I really don't.

Upvote 0