• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

UE4 will "exclusively target consoles"

The growth of multiplayer aspects hasn't helped either, big developers and big name games are focussing on a fairly generic multiplayer experience that appeals to john everyman where as before you had a broad variety of game styles, gameplay and gamers with plenty of games to appeal to each. Gaming is becoming expensive and standardised. And it's killing it for anyone who is used to what it was.

Sad but true.

Again, as I pointed out in my earlier post's example about Ninja Gaiden, it is quite risky to do anything new nowdays. If you do something new and it doesn't appeal to the masses that well, it's always negative reputation for the company itself and since everything's so expensive, sometimes it is not just worth it.

Since again, as stupid and annoying as sometimes it is, why company should risk hurting their sales and reputation by creating something new when everyone's gonna be fine with their new Quake-shooter-goes-WW2-or-some-other-popular-period 5 : The return of the evil salesman game?

Sure there are some rebels out there, but they are quite low minority nowdays. And the games made by those companies are more than seldom.

Upvote 0
Well the thing is consoles are all new and shiny and popular at the moment, but eventually PC's will start outpacing them again, and Console games will look old and crummy, just like all our fancy pants N64's and Sony's back in the day. Then we'll have another period of PC gamery.

They said PC gaming was dead when the last batch of consoles came out too.

Upvote 0
Sad but true.

Again, as I pointed out in my earlier post's example about Ninja Gaiden, it is quite risky to do anything new nowdays.

No it's not, it just means you have to cater to a certain audience instead of Joe Casual gamer, not all games have to be blockbuster "everyone with an Xbox owns atleast two copies" monster hits to be a success.

But the industry have painted themselves into a corner here, for so long they have been marketing their games on looks alone, allways with newer shinier graphics, and they have done it for so long that people expect it now, but creating thease graphics has made development so expensive and time consumeing now that it has become unrealistic to do so, and the games suffer, either beeing way too short and released way before they where finished, or spending the extra money and time, but then the game also has to be a monster hit or the company will fold, so they just make generic trite they know will sell with enough hype.

For all i care the graphics can take a hike, i would much rather have good games than pretty games that are mindnumbingly boring or ends before they even started.

Upvote 0
Well the thing is consoles are all new and shiny and popular at the moment, but eventually PC's will start outpacing them again, and Console games will look old and crummy, just like all our fancy pants N64's and Sony's back in the day. Then we'll have another period of PC gamery.

They said PC gaming was dead when the last batch of consoles came out too.

That's very true, but the saturation of cross development was far less, and the industry itself was smaller. I'm certain the impact this time is far larger.

Upvote 0
I hate to say it, but can you really blame them? I don't want to be an alarmist, but PC gaming really is on the outs. The next generation of consoles will be able to do everything the PC can do and more. Just look at the minimum requirements for the PC version of Assassin's Creed, it's outrageous. The 360 can run the same game with half the power. People just absolutely cannot keep dumping $1,000 into new equipment every couple of years.

It's not a viable business any longer. It was a great business when system specs were moot and games weren't that graphically intensive. But now that every game released is expected to look better and be bigger than any other game before it, consumers just can't keep up.
Blame Windows, it really is the reason why with the same hardware, a PC will be out shined by a console FPS wise. Windows was not solely designed to play games so it is not 100% optimized to do it. It just sits in the background eating up resources that you would rather have it spend on the game. There needs to be some kind of game mode option when you boot up your PC. It will be like safe mode but only load what is needed to play games and nothing else. Or just forget Windows altogether and make a whole new gaming only OS, and we'll just have a dual boot option between it and windows. Hopefully this will also help avoid software incompatibilities and make it easier to scale graphics down for older machines.

Upvote 0
Sad but true.

Again, as I pointed out in my earlier post's example about Ninja Gaiden, it is quite risky to do anything new nowdays.
Offtopic but: In my opinion Ninja Gaiden is nothing new but the epitome of the classic action adventure game. The last monstrous peak that many action games aspired to but never reached. It is a perfection of the old rather than something new.:)

Upvote 0
That's very true, but the saturation of cross development was far less, and the industry itself was smaller. I'm certain the impact this time is far larger.

True true, but i am taking the optomistic path and hoping that this fad will eventually go away :D It won't go back to quite how it was in the late 90's but im sure it will get better then it is now (i've been going to the game store for the past 9 months and haven't even considered buying anything)

Upvote 0
Offtopic but: In my opinion Ninja Gaiden is nothing new but the epitome of the classic action adventure game. The last monstrous peak that many action games aspired to but never reached. It is a perfection of the old rather than something new.:)

Now, you're right about that.

I guess the fact it just has far more higher learning curve than almost any other game makes it bit "new" :p

Upvote 0
I am truly saddened by this. Over the last few years I've been looking to Epic as one of the last great bastions of PC gaming, but now they've pulled a Time Warner and changed sides, striking a huge blow in favour of consoles. As some of you know (generally those who flame me), I've been railing against the consolification of PC games for years. I don't have a problem with consoles per se (and even own a few), but I hate true PC games being abandoned in favour of console ports or "multiplatform co-development" (which means "we make a console game and port it"). And now arguably the best PC game engine out there will be, for all intents and purposes, no more.

Don't get me wrong, I understand exactly what Tim Sweeney is saying and the worst part is that he's right, but jumping ship just feels like grabbing the knife and giving it a good, hard twist.

It's true that PC hardware will continue to improve and surpass consoles, but the pendulum won't swing back. Rather, games will stagnate until the next generation of consoles appears and then developers will suddenly rush to take advantage of the new hardware, even though PC's will have been had it for years by then. Only in a couple of generations will things perhaps start to change. Once hardware becomes more centralised and consolidated, the differences between a PC and console will be much less, there won't be the same sort of incompatibility problems and perhaps things will improve once more.

Upvote 0
Seriously. You guys are overreacting. PC gaming is not dieing. Consoles have ALWAYS had higher sales. There's always going to be that small dev that's going to come out with a game like RO, the Witcher, or Stalker. All of those games could have never come out on the 360 for different reasons.

I want to take issue with what someone said here, about the xbox hardware doing better than the equivalent PC at the same price because of being purpose built for games. While there are some ways in which this is true, you have to remember the 360 and PS3 were sold at a loss initially (maybe they still are) and you can now put together a gaming PC for about 499.00 that runs circles around any console.

The PC is an open platform, and this more than anything else protects its prospects long term. I think ten years from now the concept of the open platform, the PC if you will, will have triumphed over the closed box, even if the hardware more resembles a console sitting next to your TV. TV, DVR, telephony, games, home office, you name it will have converged.

Upvote 0
I'm abandoning the sinking ship and bought myself an XBox 360 almost a week ago. I won't probably upgrade my computer in the next 2 - 3 years since I really can't afford pay 1000 - 1300 euros for getting a gaming platform for around two years and then it would be badly outdated again.

Of course I miss the mouse and keyboard combination but the controller has started to grown on me in a positive way. The gaming experiences are from two different worlds so I wouldn't say that I'm happier nor more dissatisfied with playing on console. I love the wide range of co-op games that went almost extinct on PC and the fact that I can pick any game from the shelf and it'll play nicely and smoothly instead of turning all my details and such to low and cursing my outdated hardware.

I doubt PC gaming will ever rise to the same status as it once was. Warez turns down game makers, costy hardware repels the consumers.

This news was interesting though:
http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=25071

And no, I'm not sure about anything. I hope PC strikes back some time but I want to play games even while I wait that moment. :rolleyes: And well, since most games on PC today are crappy console ports, I rather play them on the console which they were designed for. I doubt I'd enjoy Gears of War on PC since half the fun comes from the unprecise control system (and yes, I think the game is a corridor run but it's a fun one). Only thing I will miss are the promising and interesting yet rough around the edges games from Europe and Russia (The Witcher, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Operation Silent Storm, Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 etc.). Well, hopefully they won't have Crysis^10000 graphics so that my PC will run them too.
:D

Upvote 0
Werner, I'm not sure about European prices, but here in the US I had very much the same choice . . . Buy a 360 or upgrade. $399.00 for the 360 vs about 450 for a new CPU, RAM, and 8800gt. Crysis probably sealed the deal but really there was no contest.

I just can't see myself with a controller in hand. If PC gaming ever really went away I'd just stop gaming for good.

Upvote 0
I too believe that PC gaming will keep on going ad infinitum but the market has become a lot narrower and PC only titles sparser. I bet there will be a lot of good PC games published in the future, but I think they won't be as frequent as they once were (if they ever were for that matter).

Soviet, I wish I had a newer mobo so that I could upgrade only some parts but for me it would be a brand new system in general and that would cost a lot. :(

Upvote 0