• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To PS3 or not to PS3

I played Metal Gear and Snakes Revenge on the NES, Metal Gear Solid:Twin snakes on my gamecube, and MGS2 on my PC. And whilst the stories were certainly "unique" they never struck my as very silly like this one.

You've missed out by not having played MGS3. It's the best one of the series by far imho. As a MGS fan and considering the cheap price of the PS2 today it's way worth buying one just for MGS3. Or at the very least try to borrow a PS2 and MGS3. Seriously, you have to play it!

Upvote 0
I played Metal Gear and Snakes Revenge on the NES, Metal Gear Solid:Twin snakes on my gamecube, and MGS2 on my PC. And whilst the stories were certainly "unique" they never struck my as very silly like this one.

The nes ones were 100% crap, you should play the MSX ones those where the first and second metal gear (you get them on the mgs3 subsistence too) MG2 (msx not mgs2 for ps2) got the best story for far of all of them :p (snakes revenge is not even in any way connected to the metal gear team, Metal Gear 2: Solid snake is just awesome)

Upvote 0
... a PS 3 which can't even play PS 2 games properly.

The PS3 plays most PS2 games without a problem, and the compatibility gets better with every system update. The only PS2 games in my rather extensive collection that the PS3 can't play are the Ratchet and Clank ones (which are sadly my favorites). There's also a website you can go to to see if the PS3 supports the PS2 game in question.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Upvote 0
The PS3 plays most PS2 games without a problem, and the compatibility gets better with every system update. The only PS2 games in my rather extensive collection that the PS3 can't play are the Ratchet and Clank ones (which are sadly my favorites). There's also a website you can go to to see if the PS3 supports the PS2 game in question.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

I thought the 40 GB model is the only one in production atm? It doesn't have that PS 2 chip in it, and none of the PAL PS 3's didn't have them. They only have/had emulated PS 2 functionality.

Upvote 0
My major gripe with the PS3 (and its predecessors for that matter) is the controller. I hate the shape and feel of it. By contrast, the 360 controller feels fantastic and far more comfortable to me, but sadly the console it comes with has a habit of dying for no apparent reason. Game-wise, I've never really liked any of the Sony-exclusive titles and have preferred the Xbox titles but in this age of money grubbing, almost everything comes out on everything at some point.

Including GTA. GTA 5 won't be Sony exclusive. It might start that way, but it'll be ported, same as GTA 3 and its spinoffs were.

Meh, I think if you're asking on here, you've probably already decided to buy one, but still want us to convince you that you've made the right decision. In which case, just do it. There really isn't one "right" console this generation anyhow. They're all about equal.

Upvote 0