• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Poor stay poor and The Rich stay rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this argument is about people just having more, it's about people having so much more money that they don't need, and people really needing that money. I watched War Photographer (somebody recommended it on here awhile back) and you see in it a man with one arm and one leg who lives between two railroad tracks with his wife and three kids. Then you switch on MTV or VH1 and see The Fabulous Life Of the Megarich with businessmen buying $100,000,000 yachts that he uses maybe for a few weeks every year. I'm not saying give the money to people like me, white middle class people with comfortable lives, but to people who really need it. Whether that money goes to putting their kids through college and university, medical bills, housing, transport, food whatever. Ofcourse some of it would go to people like Frank Gallagher (Shameless, TV show in UK) but it's not a perfect world.

Upvote 0
I don't think this argument is about people just having more, it's about people having so much more money that they don't need, and people really needing that money. I watched War Photographer (somebody recommended it on here awhile back) and you see in it a man with one arm and one leg who lives between two railroad tracks with his wife and three kids. Then you switch on MTV or VH1 and see The Fabulous Life Of the Megarich with businessmen buying $100,000,000 yachts that he uses maybe for a few weeks every year. I'm not saying give the money to people like me, white middle class people with comfortable lives, but to people who really need it. Whether that money goes to putting their kids through college and university, medical bills, housing, transport, food whatever. Ofcourse some of it would go to people like Frank Gallagher (Shameless, TV show in UK) but it's not a perfect world.

We have that, it's called charity and welfare. Look at Bill Gates and Warren Buffet. They both gave most of their money to help the poorest people who are most in need of healthcare. Sure windows is a giant pile of crap, but I still have to give Mr. Gates credit for his donation. (Sorry, I just had to take a swipe at windows :D) Look at the other "evil" capitalists from history, the so called "robber-barons" like Rockefeller and Carnegie; they made massive amounts of money in early industrial America, but after they retired, they gave most of it away to various charities.

Upvote 0
afaik, the situation in poor countries where people have no food is hopeless, aiding organizations give them food like rice but then what? They have no hunger for a couple of days but when the rations run out they're hungry again. The ground there is incapable of growing plants so they can't survive on their own so they're doomed to die of hunger or the rich countries spend an enormous amount of money in all the poor countries so they have rations every day. Also, I'm not being racist or fascist but if the poor people would stop reproducing it would all work out, but for some reason people in poor countries in Africa have alot of babies, possibly because they have nothing better to do. There will always be extreme poverty and extreme wealth, I don't see a global uncorrupted communism spread all the wealth.

Upvote 0
Also, I'm not being racist or fascist but if the poor people would stop reproducing it would all work out, but for some reason people in poor countries in Africa have alot of babies, possibly because they have nothing better to do. There will always be extreme poverty and extreme wealth, I don't see a global uncorrupted communism spread all the wealth.

There are many many reasons for this overproducing, I just thought of few reasons.

They make a lot of babies to secure their life when they are old, if they will live that long. You know there are no pension systems for the poor people in those countries.

And one reason is that religion don

Upvote 0
but how is it not ones individual right to keep anything he makes if he sees fit to do so? in life there will always be winners and there will always be losers, it shouldn't be the responsibility of the winners to look after the losers.

But why would anyone want to make the extremely difficult efforts of making the right choices and striving to excel - its so much easier to elect government officials that will take it from you by force if neccessary.

Upvote 0
there should be a maximum money cap, so a single person cannot have more than lets say, 10 millions (or less), I don't think anyone would need more than that to live a perfect life, life with 10 millions can be better than a life with 100 millions if it means that the world and society arround you are healed.

Upvote 0
there should be a maximum money cap, so a single person cannot have more than lets say, 10 millions (or less), I don't think anyone would need more than that to live a perfect life, life with 10 millions can be better than a life with 100 millions if it means that the world and society arround you are healed.

I'm sure the Swiss would love this idea, because then EVERYONE would start having secret swiss bank accounts to stash away thier illegal hordes of money. You simply cannot mandate something like that. It's impractical, totalitarian, and needlessly restricting.

EDIT: I just re-read my post and it kind of sounded like a flame. Didn't mean it that way. It's just that mandated "caps" on personal property, in my opinion, will always fail because they are unnatural and artificial. A person can have as much as they can hold onto. Just because someone CAN, however, doesn't mean they SHOULD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to see some commentators actually bust their humps -
sacrificing everything to earn 1 million and be part of the elite.

Then you can proceed to comment on how you like giving the govt
50% of your earnings to let the govt decide how to best use the money.

Chances are , that if you are industrious enough to accomplish this
you wont be too keen giving half of it away to govt.

Interesting how people are really good at spending other people's money.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see some commentators actually bust their humps -
sacrificing everything to earn 1 million and be part of the elite.

Then you can proceed to comment on how you like giving the govt
50% of your earnings to let the govt decide how to best use the money.

Chances are , that if you are industrious enough to accomplish this
you wont be too keen giving half of it away to govt.

I grew up in a working class family that moved into the upper-middle class during my teenage years. I also ended up going to a prestigious private liberal arts school where I was one of the poorer students. Having this experience of transition between the working class and upper-middle class, with exposure to the upper-class and super-rich, I'd have to say that the "million dollar elite" doesn't work much harder than the lower classes do. Many companies seem to pay just enough to keep you from getting fed up and quitting. Meanwhile, the upper-levels get obscene bonuses. Granted, the CEO has to use a lot more brainpower than a guy on the factory floor. But is what he does REALLY worth THAT much more? $50 million compared to $50,000?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.