• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Ut3 & Ro ?

The more interesting question here is how "easily" protable stuff from UE 2.5 to UE 3.0 is?

The impression I get (I haven't played with UE3 at all!) is that most of the art could be re-imported.. (i mean.. why couldn't it?).. but as SmokeyTheBear & Xendance said.. why? you have all the new toys, use some of them..

As for RO on UE3 / UT2k7, TWI's next title is still totally unknown to the public at this point.. so it's just speculation if it'll happen at all.

Upvote 0
UT3 would be the 3rd UT.. aka UT2004.. (UT99, UT2k3, UT2k4....)

This is UT2007 :p

they have brushed over 2k3, as if it had never existed and 2k4 was the full release version.
Regardless - isn't UT3 really an incorrect name as there was no UT2 - only an Unreal 2, which was the story driven follow up to Unreal of course.
It seems they now want the game number to match the Engine release which is fair enough.

Anyway enough of that rubbish- more and more ppl now are totally convinced of 'RO2' (direct follow up to this game) and i'm not going to argue against that happening.
But what I will say is if that indeed is the case I recon many many ppl here wont like it compared to the origional, regardless of how much better it looks or extra features it may or may not have.

Upvote 0
it all depends on how the next game is, if it's RO2 in the same line as RO with better and more animations and visuals then why not port some maps. especially maps based on existing places and battles like the berlin maps by example.
but this is all just speculation, we need to wait and see how the next game will work.
maybe the next game will have some sophisticated platoon or squad command feature that requires more complex and large maps to work at it's best.

Upvote 0
I wish they could write their own engine and incorporate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewQuQxeyIP8 into it.

I have UT3 and the graphics seems absolutely appaling. They had me tricked the whole way through, but really, it's just the UT2004 engine with better shaders + kismet. Guys on the Epic forums say dynamic lights disappear after you step about 5 meters away from them.

I played the CoD4 demo today (I hate the CoD franchise) and it looked and ran 10x better than UT3 with everything on max.

Maybe the full version of the Unreal Engine 3 offers more, but I don't think the engine would improve RO one bit from what I've seen so far.

Upvote 0
I wish they could write their own engine and incorporate Enlighten into it.

I have UT3 and the graphics seems absolutely appaling. They had me tricked the whole way through, but really, it's just the UT2004 engine with better shaders + kismet. Guys on the Epic forums say dynamic lights disappear after you step about 5 meters away from them.

I played the CoD4 demo today (I hate the CoD franchise) and it looked and ran 10x better than UT3 with everything on max.

Maybe the full version of the Unreal Engine 3 offers more, but I don't think the engine would improve RO one bit from what I've seen so far.

You do realise that the Geomerics Enlighten is in the "Unreal Engine 3 Integrated Partners Program"?
It basically means that you can buy that middleware and plug it into your licensed copy of UE 3.

Full list of those middlewares on this site: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Unreal_Engine_Versions/3
As you can see, there's quite a bit of anything you can imagine.

Upvote 0
You do realise that the Geomerics Enlighten is in the "Unreal Engine 3 Integrated Partners Program"?
It basically means that you can buy that middleware and plug it into your licensed copy of UE 3.

Full list of those middlewares on this site: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Unreal_Engine_Versions/3
As you can see, there's quite a bit of anything you can imagine.

Glad to see SpeedTree is on that list. As a mapper, it'll be nice to have the same sort of variety in vegetation that we currently have, plus all of the bells and whistles that comes along with the SpeedTree brand (realistic movement, lighting and shadows, LOD, etc).

Upvote 0