• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

should i buy this game? or something else?

alex523

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 13, 2008
i want to know if i should buy this game becuase if you follow this link it show only like 250 people playing at one time!
http://www.game-monitor.com/GameSearch/ro/Red_Ochestra.html
is that alot because counter strike source has like 30,00

should i buy counter strike source(comes with day of defeat :Source) or this (i want your real opion) i really dont know what to do becuase that is not alot of people playing this game

i am stuck i have been thinkin aout this all week because like i only have $20 bucks right know and i need to know what one to buy!
ty

this game is about quality, not quantity. you will always find good filled servers to play on.
now it depends on what kind of games you like, many players here come from day of defeat source, and as far as i know nobody has ever had regrets. on the contrary, most regret that they have not found this game more early.
if you want to play a fast, arguably fun and shallow game then go for CS, if you want a deeper, realistic, tough and rewarding game, go for RO

i made my choice 2 years ago, and still think its the best money i have ever spent

Upvote 0
The game monitor link you posted does not appear to show all of the servers or the correct total # of players online. If you would like a more accurate count I suggest visiting this link. http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/ this will give you a better idea of how many people and servers there are currently . RO is generally ranked at or around about 20 these days. But that fluctuates throughout the day.

Upvote 0
I would recomend anyone to buy this game. I have convinced three of my friends to buy it and they love it. Here you are going to a quality game with mostly quality people. You only have the occasional imature people starting problems on the RO forums. If you had a choice to buy a Porsche or a Ford which would it be? Most would say a Porsche. This game is better than a porsche in comparison to the examples you gave. I have recieved t he money I paid for this game back 10 fold. It is the best WWII FPS ever made. It changes how every FPS simulation has to live up to in order not to look bad. Buy the game, it will be your best game investment ever.

Upvote 0
Ro

Ro

I bought this game 18 months ago and have been hooked ever since.
The gameplay is excellent - you really have to work hard to get kills - no crosshairs or shoot and spray like Battlefield etc.
There are some great, friendly players too as it tends wean out most of the idiots being a realisitc sim.

Go buy it I'm sure you won't regret it!

Andy

Upvote 0
RO is a awesome game. I recently bought it about a week ago. It is fun and enjoyable. It does take getting used to with the weapons, but its been some of the most fun I have had in a long time. I have played Counter-Strike Source and Dod Source, but personally i think Red Orchestra is far better than CSS and DODS. There is a learning curve, and I enjoy that! In my honest opinion I like Red Orchestra over CSS. I had the same question, not wanting to buy it because not sure of how many people playing it, but there are quite a few. Not as many as CSS but a lot more than I thought. But the question is, what do you look for in a game, so people can better answer your question on what your looking for and what should you do? :)

Upvote 0
Personally i enjoy realistic and tactical games, and CS doesnt get one of these things right so obviously im an RO player by heart :D
But i'd say, considering both communities, i'd go for RO as well, not just gameplay-wise. With regular Source-games (CS is not alone in this) i'm usually 'scared of' by the playerbase, either accusing eachother of cheating or calling eachother noobs etc.
Most times you just cant get a friendly match going, and its really annoying.
RO's community doesnt know that amount of asshats (though there will allways be a couple, no matter what game you play) and has a generally 'noob-friendly' community because most people also had a very hard time adjusting to the game :)
In the years since release (is it 2 now?) ive been playing RO, and i've allways been able to find a good filled server (sometimes not with maps i like, but maps change:p).

So in quick summary i'd say RO = deep, rewarding gameplay with a nice community, while CS = quick and argueably fun, shallow gameplay with random headshots (thanks to conefire...) and a rather childish community with hardly ever a friendly game going on.
I'd say, go for RO :)

Upvote 0
I haven't really got anyhting else to add to wha is already here, but I judt had an ammusing thought, if he asked this question on the cs;s forums, what sort of a reply would he get?

LOL, OMFG that games is teH suXor, thers liKe no croSh4rs or NyThinG

or

WTF is iRonsightS?

It would probably be less elitist than the garbage here.

OP, the game is fun, but the people here are terrible. You've been warned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I haven't really got anyhting else to add to wha is already here, but I judt had an ammusing thought, if he asked this question on the cs;s forums, what sort of a reply would he get?

LOL, OMFG that games is teH suXor, thers liKe no croSh4rs or NyThinG

or

WTF is iRonsightS?

HAHAHA
I am dying here!
Red Orchestra is on its own level compared to CSS. If you like the run and gun type of game rather than the Run to cover then gun type of game then maybe CSS. Bit RO is one of my favorite games and I would recommend it to anyone

Upvote 0
Alex, you have to remember that being the official RO boards, we will be biased towards RO. That's why we're all here really. As to whether you should buy it or not, that's a hard one to answer. It really depends on what style of gamer you are. CS/DoD Source do have more players, but they're also designed for more instant action, twitch gameplay. They're easy to pick up and play and for many people, it's all they could want in a game.

RO on the other hand is a niche game. It's targetted at people who want a more difficult, realistic and tactical game. A skilled player can "clutch" in CS and win a round all on their own, but a skilled player in RO will get nowhere without the support of his team. RO has a steep learning curve and is lacking in IWIN buttons. I can only recommend it if you're into more realistic games. If you are, then you won't find a better game anywhere at the moment. If you're more mainstream though, you may be better off with the more simplistic Source games you listed.

I don't want to scare you away, but if you can only afford one, I wouldn't want you to choose RO only to discover it's far too hardcore for your expectations. Remember that this is really a choice of genres rather than a choice of games. RO and CS are as different as chalk and cheese.

Upvote 0
RO isn't all that hard to learn.

The legend of the steep learning curve comes more or less from the fact that people who were very good at some games (like CoD or CS) were reduced to mere newbies when playing RO because the gamestyle is totally different.

A fast trigger finger might not be completely useless but positioning skills are much much more important. In Call of Duty or Counterstrike the opposite is true!
So RO is indeed a very hard and maybe also frustrating game if you try to play it like it was Call of Duty or Counterstrike. If you accept that RO is different and you play accordingly it shouldn't be too hard to learn.

Also, what is hard about RO is the gameplay! The controls and how you move around in the world are very easy to pick up and they are pretty much like in most other first person shooters, so don't be scared expecting a game where you need to look into a 500 page manual just to find out how to reload your rifle.

Lastly, the advice that getting RO if you are into realistic games and getting something else if you are not is a very good one, however you might not yet know if you are into realistic games. ;)

If you really want a more action based world war 2 game then Call of Duty 2 is THE game to get. It plays great, is easy to pick up and play but still deep enough to offer great deathmatchial (TM) fun and it looks stunning and runs great for how it looks.
If you want a game with big maps and vehicles that is more on the action side then Battlefield 2 is great game to get. In my opinion the characters can take way too much damage but that's a matter of taste and other than that it is a very good game. There is also a free ww2 mod for it, if you want something with ww2. It is called Forgotten Hope 2. If you should decide that you still want something more realistic then there is the free mod "Project Reality".
If you want a game with big maps and vehicles that is even more realistic than RO on a wider scale, then Operation Flashpoint is your game. There are also ww2 mods of varying quality for it. Just be sure to grab a unit-replacement mod with new animations, because the old ones really drag the game down to eye-sore level. Not the prettiest game, but the graphics get the job done (especially with a unit-replacement pack).
There is also Armed Assault which is very similar to it though itl ooks much better if you have a good PC but the singleplayer missions aren't as great. Both games have a terrific co-op though.
If you are looking for a hard, realistic tactical shooter set in ww2 (singleplayer!) then getting Hidden and Dangerous 2 would me my advice. Runs rubbishly for how it looks and doesn't look that great to begin with, but it is good enough and the gameplay is great once you get past the awkward squad controls.
If you are looking for a hard, realistic tactical shooter that isn't necessarily set in ww2 (singleplayer!) then I can recommend Raven Shield to you. A very good, thrilling game and it has a co-op mode that absolutely rocks!

Upvote 0
The game monitor link you posted does not appear to show all of the servers or the correct total # of players online. If you would like a more accurate count I suggest visiting this link. http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/ this will give you a better idea of how many people and servers there are currently . RO is generally ranked at or around about 20 these days. But that fluctuates throughout the day.

So did you submit that bug report about servers not sending accurate information to gamespy? ;) . Really those figures are way off..never seen the thousands gamespy stats show on that page.

Anyway, Alex, Gamemonitor is more likely to be correct, although there are possibly a few more servers. I think the server has to register with gamemonitor to be shown. RO has maximum of about 400 players at any one time. Theres been threads about finding difficulty playing on a US based server that isn't Danzig 24/7, but in Europe there is usually a choice between a few servers. But theres nothing stopping you playing on a server with a higher ping than locally, infact i've known players that only play on certain servers because they prefer them to their local ones eventhough they have a higher ping. Ping isn't as important in RO as with faster paced shooters because theres different ways of playing. It can be very fast paced and require a fast ping, but it depends on your class and how you play.

A choice between RO and DOD is pretty easy (but I would say that :D). DOD is cartoony, random and pretty dire imo wheras RO is competitive, requires a bit more thought and has tonnes more content.

Last edited:
Upvote 0