• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are these good gaming speakers?

Jokerman

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2006
Im sick of the hollow sound my 2.1 R-20 Logitech setup produce and Im thinking of getting 5.1 Creative sbs560.
Anyone has any experience with them? How would you describe the sound?
It would be cool if they could play music in quality as well but the first priorities here are gaming and budget.

Thanks.

By the looks of it they seem to be an old model (no price on the creative site etc) I just got the creative t6100 5.1 and a Live! 24-bit External sound card for christmas also upgrading from a 2.1 logictech set and I like mine alot, they sound pretty good in all media (music, movies, games) though the rear speaks seem a bit quiet, though that can be messed arround in the speaker settings and they are great value as well.

The one thing I can say though is that many PC games do not support surround sound and many that do do not handle it well (though this may be because i cant position my speakers properly in my flat becuase i cant drill holes in the wall :( ), but for Source games, in particular TF2 and Arma as well 5.1 is absolutly brillaint.

Make sure ur sound card can support CMSS (or similar) if you get these speakers or similar ones becuase it means you can fake 5.1 in things like MP3's that are only 2 channels. Oh and these arnt THX certified or have an optical output but for these prices you wont get them.

Note: If you use vista make sure there are correct drivers for them as i had a pain finding mine.

Upvote 0
Are you talking about the Z5500? I heard good things about them but here they range between 600-800$ (ye, you are reading it right :mad:) while the creative I mentioned are 100$.

I know which set you are talking about and they are not those.

I cant remember the model name but they cost me about 50 quid and did the job really well.

My point was for around $100 you should be happy with them providing your not the most hard to please audiophile.

Upvote 0
I know which set you are talking about and they are not those.

I cant remember the model name but they cost me about 50 quid and did the job really well.

My point was for around $100 you should be happy with them providing your not the most hard to please audiophile.

I dont think Im hard to please though I could be wrong- some folks think the R-20 are great and I find them barely tolerable.
If youll remember the model name let me know. Thanks.

Sheepdip, thanks- this is the kind of encouragemnt I need. Im a wary customer. Youre the one with the new guitar, no? All the more to your word. Musician's word. :)

Upvote 0
Don't forget headphones! I used to play with a Creative 5.1 surround setup and thought that was great, but then I got a set of gaming headphones and they were even better for games. You can pinpoint exactly where people are just from the sounds; above, behind below, left a bit etc. With speakers, unless they are positioned just right and you have your head between them in just the right place you don't get the same level of awareness of whats going on around you as you do with a set of good headphones.

I had a pair of Plantronics DSP-500, about 30 quid, that were great for games. They have 8 speakers I think so you get a good surround feeling, but they didn't last more than a year or so so I got some Seinheiser HD-595's with a Creative X-fi Xtreme Music (same thing as the xtreme gamer card but with more inputs) which are great for music, but not as good as my old ones in games 'cos its harder to tell where people are. There's probably some better headsets available now geared towards gaming. And ofcourse you get a mic for communication. Some Headsets come with their own inbuilt soundcard so you have to decide if your current card iwill be better with a set of headphones without their own card, because inbuilt cards aren't as good as some sound cards. Its only the USB ones that have their own sound card built in afaik.

The only reason I would use speakers now is for watching DVD's, but I have a TV+DVD with USB input so I just watch them on there.

Upvote 0
Oh man, what a misreable timing! Last night my headphones lost the left earphone- they were ****ty anyway and I only used them at nights- so I bought a headset on a whim. I did spend an hour or so surfing to find something good and ended ordering a Sennheiser PC30. They are preaty cheap, has good reviews and the summer in Isreal will make the ones with the full ears-covering a nightmare.
Im sorry to hear they dont support full 3d sound- thats not the impression I got.

So thanks, guys, for the input but its too late for that now.

BTW, melipone, Im playing Penumbre Overture now- great game- thanks for the (ancient) heads up.

Upvote 0