• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

Some sound, such as shouting during a firefight, needs to be improved aswell. Playing some CoD4 and then playing ArmA it didn't seem right that all my team mates were saying were things like "OH NO...6...Is down" and "2 go to...tree...10 o'clock'. Makes a huge difference from the shoutyness of CoD4 and other games.

On the other hand though, some parts of the sound are amazing. I was playing a custom mission, and crawling through the long grass, the way it sounded as I moved through it and the background noise of the insects, and the really quite realistic graphics, took me back to playing Armies as a kid. First time I've felt that feeling of nostalgia/immersion from a game, TBH.

Well yeah, it doesnt sound very natural hehe.
But if you can order anyone to any place and want it to be descriptive as well, you kind of have to stick these variables together in sentences like these.
It's a necessary evil. There are only so many different things people yell in CoD, but there are thousands of options for ArmA basically.

Upvote 0
Played a couple of the campaign missions yesterday when I was bored. And while they are dodgy and nowhere near OFP standard I had fun and I love the way that even when you mess it up you can still finish the mission if your careful.

On one of the first 'sub missions' where u have to sneak in and blow up some armour (armed with only one satchel ?!). I was making my way to their camp but ended up being spotted, so I quickly shot the few guys who could see me and used the launcher to take out half the armor, then ran back to an ammo box to rearm and snuck around the other way to destroy the final vehicles.

Just as i destroyed the last one a helicopter flew over and destroyed my evac boat so up came the message to steal a helicopter (very realistic...though i did it all the time in OFP:p) at the secondary objective camp and get back to the airport on the other side of the island. Looking at the map and after a bit of scouting I decided that with one base on full alert and no doubt the other now aware i was there and with a few patrols and a helicopter going about i realised that going for the helicopter would be certain death so I took my only other way out and swam across the channel and ran a good 2500m to home :D

Upvote 0
I really hate sp in arma, it wasn't o bad in ofp, but I never have been able to get used to the system for giving orders. I played the ofp campaign up till te point where you become squad leader and loved it, but afterwards, I just find I don't have the time to concentrate on keeping myself alive, shoot the enemies and babysit my squad mates.

Anyone got any advice on how best to command friendly AI?

Upvote 0
How about leave them behind :p

What you can do is to scout ahead get the enemies attention and run back to your allies so the enemies get shout by a waiting line of men.
Or take a few men with you and leave the rest behind and then flank just think about something that could work and use the terrain.

Another good campaign
Playing as Russians, in Russian, made by Russians
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=67;t=68803;hl=gloria;st=0

I had a nice idea for Coop scenario. Remember that hill with the ruin overlooking the plain. Where the chopper crashed during our coop session?
This would be the perfect spot for a Spec-Ops have to hold back massive attack scenario. One would need scripts that the players can prepare minefields, barriers and give them arty support. They would set up their defences and then the Ruskies would come with their tanks. Addtionally you would need lots of Javelins :D
Could be interesting!

Upvote 0
How about leave them behind :p

What you can do is to scout ahead get the enemies attention and run back to your allies so the enemies get shout by a waiting line of men.
Or take a few men with you and leave the rest behind and then flank just think about something that could work and use the terrain.

Another good campaign
Playing as Russians, in Russian, made by Russians
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=67;t=68803;hl=gloria;st=0

I had a nice idea for Coop scenario. Remember that hill with the ruin overlooking the plain. Where the chopper crashed during our coop session?
This would be the perfect spot for a Spec-Ops have to hold back massive attack scenario. One would need scripts that the players can prepare minefields, barriers and give them arty support. They would set up their defences and then the Ruskies would come with their tanks. Addtionally you would need lots of Javelins :D
Could be interesting!
I haven't coop'd with you but I bet I know where you mean, and I've had the same thoughts :D

Upvote 0
I really hate sp in arma, it wasn't o bad in ofp, but I never have been able to get used to the system for giving orders. I played the ofp campaign up till te point where you become squad leader and loved it, but afterwards, I just find I don't have the time to concentrate on keeping myself alive, shoot the enemies and babysit my squad mates.

Anyone got any advice on how best to command friendly AI?

All i do is put them in a certain formation and move up slowly, usually they spot enemies on time and kill them.
I've made it to somewhere around the end in OFP then we got a new pc and i had to start all over again lol... didnt save the savegames at the time :( I think it was the last mission, i had to capture Guba.
Generally, i enjoyed combat more in OFP. You get spotted and killed way to fast in ArmA.

Upvote 0
Yeah, formations work pretty well, except for fights in villages.
Place your soldiers into a buildings by simply selecting one and then clicking on the floor where you want him to stand. Cover all the routes to your general position with your soldiers and then let the enemies grind themselves against it. If they don't have tanks it should work great. If they have tanks or other armored vehicles you need to take those out on your own for best results.

Upvote 0
All of the rooms are accessible, and it has balconies on every floor. It has one central staircase, and an internal ladder that goes to every floor.

I just played a custom solo campaign that had a mission for it (I forget which one though) where you land on the roof with 3 guys to grab a POW. It seemed to me that if you could reverse the scenario it would be fun.

You could also not have AT guns on the roof but have AT and AA missiles lying around instead (AA for shooting down transport helos filled with reinforcements?)

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, there's the "Red Hotel" mission, but I believe this puts you on the attacking side.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=440

Feel free to browse through the multiplayer section of that website, maybe you can find a cool mission.

Would it be possible to switch the "playable" roles from US to SLA?

Edit: how about this one? http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1324

Editing a mission shouldn't be hard if you can't change it in the editor use unpbo to get to the mission file. If you tell me what exactly I am supposed to do, I think I could do it (or try it yourself :p)

Upvote 0
In case you would like to know and maybe save a bit of time...

Download ArmAUnPBO.
Create a folder, lets call it "unpack".
Extract UnPBO to this folder.
Copy the Mission pbo. file that you wish to Edit to same folder.
Open the UnPBO program.
In the first field go to the "unpack" folder and select the pbo. file that you have copied.
In the second field select the "unpack" folder as destination.
Hit the Extract button.
This will create a mission.sqm file.
Copy this file into your My Documents/ArmA/missions folder.

Open up the ArmA Editor, select the correct island that the original mission was made with and all being well you should be able to Load the Map that you wish to look at.
Thats how I've done it and it works.

Be aware that some might not like their mission being modified.

Upvote 0