• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation Flashpoint 2 preview and screenies

Mass Effect is console-only you know that?
Yes, but i bet lots of people would have liked a PC version with a decent interface. Microsoft and their 360 stole its thunder, it could have been an excellent PC game.

Rainbow Six: Vegas ... Just stop bashing it. Nobody except you few people really used the planning. I for example played Black Thorn and Raven Shield and NEVER used the planning thing. Now I don't want to say that because I never used it this means that nobody used it but in the evolution of games(back in Rogue Spear times people did use this i suppose) this just became redundant. I also don't think that the Rainbow Six-Series is known for realism. It's known for it's tactics and imo in Vegas you still have to use tactics.
I enjoyed Vegas for what it was, but you can not deny it has been nerfed to **** for the masses! You also asked for 3 examples. This fits the criteria perfectly.

Bioshock ... wait what? How is BioShock consolified. If you mean the weapon behaviour this has nothing to do with the consoles. Maybe the performance is not so good but I can't tell that because I didn't have any problems.
Come on how can you not tell me this is not a console game? Where the hell has the inventory gone? For a game that is hyped on choice, surely you would expect some decent RPG elements to follow this through? Instead your a jack of all trades riding on an below average shooter with pretty naff gun play, big stupid crosshairs and blurry graphics which nearly gave me motion sickness. I was happy when it was over.

Far Cry 2 LOL. What are you talking about man it even was first announced on PC and later for consoles. Also how would you know anything about the game being consolified there's just some informations and engine demonstrations yet.
Fair enough no one has played this yet but it just looks consoley. Blurry graphics, big crosshairs that kind of thing. Its hard to put your finger on but its there if you know what i mean.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rainbow Six: Vegas ... Just stop bashing it. Nobody except you few people really used the planning. I for example played Black Thorn and Raven Shield and NEVER used the planning thing. Now I don't want to say that because I never used it this means that nobody used it but in the evolution of games(back in Rogue Spear times people did use this i suppose) this just became redundant. I also don't think that the Rainbow Six-Series is known for realism. It's known for it's tactics and imo in Vegas you still have to use tactics.
Regardless of whether or not you used the planning, going from Rainbow Six:Raven Shield to Rainbow Six:Vegas is like going from eating fine cuisine to eating rubbish out of a dustbin.

The name of a good, interesting, realistic (enough) and challenging franchise (either Ghost Recon OR R6) was officially whored out to a console crowd so it could be played on a gamepad by any Tom, Dick or Harry. It's actually about as tactical as scratching my arse.

Upvote 0
Scratching your arse - just like fumbling in your nose - during lectures, trying not let anyone notice, requires a great deal of tactical planning and cold-hearted, stealthy execution to succeed! don't play that down!:mad:

Special tip for nose fumbling: Rest your head on your palm and then use the small finger (the one opposite of your thumb) to explore your nose at hearts content. The position isn't too suspicious and you can retire the finger fast and unproblematic without giving yourself away with huge motions...

Upvote 0
Looks like I don't need to chip in with "3" examples. Everyone else beat me to it. But make no mistake, the list is far longer than that. Another big (recent) one that people have ignored would be CoD 2/4. They're undeniably a far cry from the original thanks to the switch from PC exclusive to console "codevelopment".

Pretty much anything that's crossplatform suffers from it though. I don't know why you're arguing this Dragon. It's a simple fact that games like the original Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and even CoD 1 just can't work on consoles. You physically have to simplify everything just to make them playable. Now that's great as far as the console players are concerned because they get to play great games, albeit simplified in order to be playable, but they play them nonetheless.

But lets now take that game and put it BACK on the PC alongside the original, unedited version. When you compare the original PC title with the console port, it's painfully obvious just how much has to be removed for the console version to be playable. It's undeniably inferior to it's PC exclusive counterpart.

Now bearing this in mind, what happens when you start developing games deliberately for the console from the very beginning? You don't build a game, then simplify three versions of it later. It's time consuming and expensive and anything that's cut is wasted effort that most players would never experience. Instead, you make it simple from the beginning so that it works straight away without needing to change anything afterwards. Personally I wish they WOULD build a PC game first and then simplify the console versions later, but from a cost-time perspective, it's obvious why they don't.

So what we get are console titles effectively ported to the PC. The only reason it counts as "co-developed" rather than "ported" is because they do it during development rather than afterwards. It's semantics, nothing more. It doesn't matter how good that title is, it will almost always still be wasting potential due to hardware limitations for the lowest common denominator during its development.

Will it be like this forever? I hope not. With the rise of streaming technology and the slow introduction of keyboards/mice to console, perhaps in the not-too distant future the physical limitations will cease to be and the quality and depth of games will increase again. Of course, there's always going to be the standard "dumbing down" for your average casual user but hopefully those games will become less prevalent as people become more experienced gamers and start to want more for their money.

On topic, OFP2 will likely suffer this consolification. There's only so much complexity you can have with an imprecise ~10 button controller on a system that has no scalability. That doesn't mean it will be crap, but it does mean that it will almost certainly not be as deep or as... "good" as it could otherwise be.

And Fedorov, you're quite right. In all those dev diaries for various games they love to go on about how they're going for a "super realistic" approach and then go on to detail how they're doing the graphics to achieve that. Which is how we get CoD 4. Which has exceptional models and textures, but sounds that were apparently recorded in the toy section at WalMart. We won't even mention gameplay.

Upvote 0
Yeah and you (<- whoever feels addressed, not anyone in particular) can whine and ***** about it just like you do in about every thread that is about a new game (e.g. OFP2, Force Unleashed) or you can deal with it like a big boy. It's not like it's the new thing. Jesus Christ if someone makes a thread about Ghost Recon 25 in 2030 you still going to cry about how part one and two were oh-so more realistic. I don't know who said it, but you really ARE like the 75+ year old grandpa's who sit on their bench at the supermarket and whine about how rap music destroys society.

Buy the games you want to play and leave the others to what they want to play. If millions enjoy CoD4 or Bioshock and only 300 liked the original Ghost Recon... tough luck for you, but you don't get to decide what others like or not and therefore what the companies go for. I specifically picked those two examples because I didn't like CoD4 too much but I do like Bioshock a lot. But I won't go into every single CoD thread i find and annoy the people who might like the game. What's the point of that anway? And if you think a game like Bioshock is about an inventory or character stats than you have no clue at all.

Upvote 0
Looks like I don't need to chip in with "3" examples. Everyone else beat me to it. But make no mistake, the list is far longer than that. Another big (recent) one that people have ignored would be CoD 2/4. They're undeniably a far cry from the original thanks to the switch from PC exclusive to console "codevelopment".

No nobody came up with three games(from different developers) that already are released and 'dumbed down for consoles' as you say yet.
And how the hell is CoD2/4 consolified? Sorry but that's bollocks.

Call of Duty 2/4 are both under the top10 most played PC MP games. How was Call of Duty 1 ANY more complex? And FYI I played CoD1, UO(+German Front Mod), Call of Duty 2 & Call of Duty 4 as well as Call of Duty 4 on PS3.
Don't even think about bringing up stuff like the grenade-indicator. That has nothing to do with consoles, it's just a new trend, such as (semi-realistic)games having Iron-sights became a trend.

Pretty much anything that's crossplatform suffers from it though. I don't know why you're arguing this Dragon. It's a simple fact that games like the original Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and even CoD 1 just can't work on consoles. You physically have to simplify everything just to make them playable. Now that's great as far as the console players are concerned because they get to play great games, albeit simplified in order to be playable, but they play them nonetheless.

Deus Ex, again I never said anything about it because I never played it, you shouldn't talk about things/games you never played/experienced either.
System Shock 2. Well I never played it. But personally I thought it was very deep and so did all reviews and 90% of the players think/say. Maybe the System Shock 2 fans were disappointed for whatever reason. But hey that's life you just have to adapt or either stop playing games or go on playing 10 year old games. That's just ignorance and some day you will also recognize this. As for CoD1 look at my statement above.
Now do you have a next-gen console? I suppose not. I have, well my brother has a PS3. We actually played and finished games. Uncharted for example. How is this game not deep and intense? Your argument that things get simplified does have some truth but it's also wrong. If they had to simplify so much then why is Armed Assault 2 announced for next-gen consoles as well. Why do they port Crysis to the consoles. Well for sales but they don't have to simplify the controls at all/much. Crysis for example. It has only been developed for PC. Now tell me what's so complex about it. The Nano suit would not be any problem, controls are simple. The only games that really have difficult controls are simulations and they will always stay on the PC. What you understand as realistic is called a simulation.

But lets now take that game and put it BACK on the PC alongside the original, unedited version. When you compare the original PC title with the console port, it's painfully obvious just how much has to be removed for the console version to be playable. It's undeniably inferior to it's PC exclusive counterpart. You need to give examples to prove your fact.

Now bearing this in mind, what happens when you start developing games deliberately for the console from the very beginning? You don't build a game, then simplify three versions of it later. It's time consuming and expensive and anything that's cut is wasted effort that most players would never experience. Instead, you make it simple from the beginning so that it works straight away without needing to change anything afterwards. Personally I wish they WOULD build a PC game first and then simplify the console versions later, but from a cost-time perspective, it's obvious why they don't. ALWAYS GIVE EXAMPLES

So what we get are console titles effectively ported to the PC. The only reason it counts as "co-developed" rather than "ported" is because they do it during development rather than afterwards. It's semantics, nothing more. It doesn't matter how good that title is, it will almost always still be wasting potential due to hardware limitations for the lowest common denominator during its development.
Hardware limitations LOL. Uncharted looks better than Crysis at times and only uses 720p & max. 40% of the PS3s power. You seem like you really have absolutely no idea about consoles.

Will it be like this forever? I hope not. With the rise of streaming technology and the slow introduction of keyboards/mice to console, perhaps in the not-too distant future the physical limitations will cease to be and the quality and depth of games will increase again. Of course, there's always going to be the standard "dumbing down" for your average casual user but hopefully those games will become less prevalent as people become more experienced gamers and start to want more for their money. Blablabla. Depth of games. How does adding 39852352controls and making it extra hard for the few people that have no life make a game any deeper.

On topic, OFP2 will likely suffer this consolification. There's only so much complexity you can have with an imprecise ~10 button controller on a system that has no scalability. That doesn't mean it will be crap, but it does mean that it will almost certainly not be as deep or as... "good" as it could otherwise be. You're talking about things you can't even know seriously it pisses me off. Everything in the world could be better, just take what you can get and don't be so ignorant things are not going to change just because a few people whine about how everything was better years ago. OFP2 is certainly not going to be consolified. Or you could at least wait until the first gameplay trailer arrives but no it's also being developed for consoles so IT'S ALL THE EVIL IN THE WORLD WE MUST CRUSH(=bash it, because we fail at life) IT. What angers me the most is when people talk about completely new games getting consolified. I can understand Sic-Disaster when hes talking(and he's always talking with respect what i really appreciate) about how sad it makes him to see where the R6 Series is going. He's obviously played the R6 games for a very long time and while I don't think it makes much sense to cry after something even after a few years, he does have the right to say whatever he thinks. Far Cry 2(basically a completely new game) seems to be more realistic than Far Cry (1). Yet a few people complain about it getting simplified because of console, seriously what the F***.

And Fedorov, you're quite right. In all those dev diaries for various games they love to go on about how they're going for a "super realistic" approach and then go on to detail how they're doing the graphics to achieve that. Which is how we get CoD 4. Which has exceptional models and textures, but sounds that were apparently recorded in the toy section at WalMart. We won't even mention gameplay.
Graphics are a main selling point. If the new RO or whatever it'll be would have some new features maps and weapons but other than that the same dated graphics I would not waste a second on buying it. Let me give you an example: If you're in a disco, club or whatever(though looking at how some people here keep insisting to write a roman about how they hate all new games really makes me wonder if they actually ever went out at night) and you see two girls. One is really hot, the other one is rather chubby and doesn't really look good either. Don't tell me you'd rather go talk with girl#2 because you want to find out about her character.
Hmm.

Upvote 0
Sometimes I wonder why Drakon likes RO in the first place...
While I agree that CoD 2 and 4 are not good examples of "consolification", those games still show what bull-poo can be shoved down the throats of the buying masses who praise it. Honestly, both games sucked behind their neat and shiny graphics. That's what the socalled "semi-realism" is about: visually realistic, but the core gamplay is basically borrowed from Quake and Unreal without the ability to jump rediculously high.

Also, I don't think that "consoley" simple to pick up and play games are bad on their own. What I don't like is the approach the big publishers take on succesfull series, which compromise the basic idea of the originals. Heck, I could live even with that if it wasn't for the publishers to try to sell their products as something that they aren't. Basically, hey produce more pooty games with more shiny graphics, and the masses yelll "yeah, more of it"! It's like trying to make poo smelling like your favourite food: allthough it seems yummy, it's still poo.

Just look at those series:

Colin McRae Rally: Started as the most realistic rally sim, to be constantly dumbed down but shinied up to appeal to larger audiences.

Deus Ex: Great game, dumbed down in part two.

Thief: Two great parts, one half assed console game.

"Shock": two great games (System Shock 1+2) and one half assed consolified rail shooter, with shiny graphics as the only merit.

TES: Morrowind was decent, Oblivion was inferior in every single aspect with one exception: shiny graphics.

And I too fear than OFP will go the same route. Thank god, there still is ArmA...

It's understandable: to produce shiny graphics, you need lots of manpower, time and money. And to get the money back, you need to make sure that even the most retarded idiot can play and beat the game, because you want him to buy it, which he wouldn't, if the game would be beyond his mental and physical abilities...

Sadly, people like most in here, are a niche, which isn't really worth catering anymore, because computer and videogames went mainstream. Some years ago, we weren't a niche, but a large part of the market. Now, "average joe" has succesfully invaded the market, which makes him the target audience... It's not like a realistic game would sell less than, let's say, 10 years ago, BUT the market is so bloated that our niche is just too small to be worth mentioning.
Just do the maths (all numbers are fictional): ten years ago, the gaming market was 50 million customers, with 10 million being what I call the realism crowd. That makes 20%, so a huge part of the market. Roght now, the market is at about 500 million, but the hardcore realism crowd, due to the influx of the socalled average joe, is probably only about 20 million, which leaves us with 5%.
Now while there are twice as many people who would buy realistic games, there are ten times the people who just buy poo with shiny graphics. You don't need to be a business genius to figure out where you'd make more money. That's just the way that capitalism works.

But don't try to tell us that the poo they produce isn't poo. It is, it's just that most people don't have enough taste-buds to know the difference.

EDIT: forum censorhip sucks ***.

Upvote 0
Yeah and you (<- whoever feels addressed, not anyone in particular) can whine and ***** about it just like you do in about every thread that is about a new game (e.g. OFP2, Force Unleashed) or you can deal with it like a big boy. It's not like it's the new thing. Jesus Christ if someone makes a thread about Ghost Recon 25 in 2030 you still going to cry about how part one and two were oh-so more realistic. I don't know who said it, but you really ARE like the 75+ year old grandpa's who sit on their bench at the supermarket and whine about how rap music destroys society.
So we should what? Accept it because everyone else does? Whilst it's still fresh and annoying of course we're going to complain about it. Apart from supporting smaller devs and not buying the useless pap we can't do anything else.

I've been a PC gamer for more than 10 years, why should I sit by and watch something I've spent so long enjoying being ruined?

Upvote 0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graphics are a main selling point. If the new RO or whatever it'll be would have some new features maps and weapons but other than that the same dated graphics I would not waste a second on buying it. Let me give you an example: If you're in a disco, club or whatever(though looking at how some people here keep insisting to write a roman about how they hate all new games really makes me wonder if they actually ever went out at night) and you see two girls. One is really hot, the other one is rather chubby and doesn't really look good either. Don't tell me you'd rather go talk with girl#2 because you want to find out about her character.

I agree that graphics are always a nice improvement, but you fail to see our point, and our point is that the concept of "realism" and "better graphics" is usually tied, and it shouldnt be that way

so when you say that you want it to be realistic, the Dev does not think "ok lets remove the magic crosshair", they think... "ok, lets add shader model 4.0 and Directx15"

Upvote 0
Scratching your arse - just like fumbling in your nose - during lectures, trying not let anyone notice, requires a great deal of tactical planning and cold-hearted, stealthy execution to succeed! don't play that down!:mad:

Special tip for nose fumbling: Rest your head on your palm and then use the small finger (the one opposite of your thumb) to explore your nose at hearts content. The position isn't too suspicious and you can retire the finger fast and unproblematic without giving yourself away with huge motions...

Murphy I just love what you wrote.
Keep em comming...

Upvote 0
Hahaha That's gold :D

Oh and I just hit 1337 posts. I'm done posting :D

Upvote 0
COD 2/4 being 'consolified' is plainly obvious in the way the controls have been simplified and cut down from what they were in COD 1/UO to fit a console controller (ie. no more weapon scrolling etc). It's also evident in the multiplayer map sizes, maps in 2, 3 and 4 are much smaller than those in 1 and tiny compared to a lot of the ones in UO. The first time I played COD 2 MP I couldn't believe how small the maps were.

Brothers in Arms is another good example of a game 'consolified', once again limited controls both in scope and degree of customization. Extremely limited graphics and audio options and multiplayer functionality that was clearly designed for XBox Live first and foremost.

Bioshock, again the limited controls (not as bad as other games though I will say), it even still has the check box option for the 'vibrating controller' function. It also obviously lacks things it logically should have (eg. inventory) to streamline play for consoles.

Sure these still may be good games but the fact remains that their potential is limited by being designed to work for the console. The biggest two things I find hampering in cross platform games are firstly the controls which are almost always overly simple and not taking advantage of the spacious room a keyboard provies, and secondly the system settings (as in graphics, audio etc) are often limited to non-existant. Then you have the whole other can of worms with how gameplay is affected by console first design.

Now shall I continue or will you admit you fail Dragon???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
COD 2/4 being 'consolified' is plainly obvious in the way the controls have been simplified and cut down from what they were in COD 1/UO to fit a console controller (ie. no more weapon scrolling etc). It's also evident in the multiplayer map sizes, maps in 2, 3 and 4 are much smaller than those in 1 and tiny compared to a lot of the ones in UO. The first time I played COD 2 MP I couldn't believe how small the maps were.

Brothers in Arms is another good example of a game 'consolified', once again limited controls both in scope and degree of customization. Extremely limited graphics and audio options and multiplayer functionality that was clearly designed for XBox Live first and foremost.

Bioshock, again the limited controls (not as bad as other games though I will say), b. It also obviously lacks things it logically should have (eg. inventory) to streamline play for consoles.

Sure these still may be good games but the fact remains that their potential is limited by being designed to work for the console. The biggest two things I find hampering in cross platform games are firstly the controls which are almost always overly simple and not taking advantage of the spacious room a keyboard provies, and secondly the system settings (as in graphics, audio etc) are often limited to non-existant. Then you have the whole other can of worms with how gameplay is affected by console first design.

Now shall I continue or will you admit you fail Dragon???

That is because of the games for windows thing. To get that "certificate" your game has to support the xbox 360 gamepad. And I wouldn't blame it on consoles that Bioshock doesn't have inventory or things like that. They were just bad design decisions in my opinion, so people in general shouldn't be so thick and think that consoles = no inventory.
Let's talk more about controls. I liked the controls of Bioshock, except that I couldn't walk. They were simple enough and not overly complex like in... let's say... ArmA (my god I hate the controls).

But the thing which makes me mad is that "console haters" seem to think that PC gaming is the only thing in world, and that PC gaming was here first and now games are being "consolified". Guess what? Console games were here first, so I'd say all PC games "peeceefied".

PS. Don't blame bad design decisions on consoles, blame the developers.

Upvote 0