• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design CC available for mappers

worluk

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
header.jpg

Carpathian Crosses is getting closer to a release every day. The last content is being added and bugs are being squashed. Recently the question came up if Carpathian Crosses content will be available for custom mappers to use. The answer is YES! We are even willing to go a step further and are going to offer interested custom mappers early access to the new toys.

What you need to do to get in:
- Write a PM to worluk or post in the application forum as custom mapper.
- Sign the NDA.

What you will get in return:
- Access to the current CC build.
- Help where we can if something goes wrong or small changes where needed.
- A testing team helping you to get the best out of your map.

Of course you can create preview threads as you usually do with screenshots showing off your work and asking for input. A release will have to wait until Carpathian Crosses is released though (dont worry, not too long ;) ) So if you're willing to take a shot at making a map using the assets we've shown so far, hop by our forums and leave a message!

Last edited:
So if you are going to release this to mappers a bit early what happens if you discover a bug in the next few weeks before release. Are you going to rename the affected package? If that was the case wouldnt that be a problem if I took the prerelease files and installed a reference in my map. Then if you left the file names the same it would cause mismatch errors I think. Just wondered your thoughts on that.

Upvote 0
All our assets are updated by SVN version control - so long as the mapper regularly updates then the bugs will be fixed as they go along and their files will be sync'ed with everyone else's - they also have to commit their map a reasonable time before the testing session so that it can be added to the updates for distribution to everyone else. It sounds a bit complicated but it isn't really and it does work - producing a rapidly evolving system to be evaluated at each testing session.

If they use our Mantis bug-reporting system then the mappers can greatly facilitate the bug-squashing process.

As I say to our testers, "Mantis or it stays there". :)

For the kind of stuff most mappers will be interested in... new weps, new unis... there is a certain (though not great) use of placeholders whilst our animation 'team' produce the necessary. But certainly nothing to stop gameplay- and balance-testing, which, as any good mapper knows, are the most important aspects of the map development process anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All our assets are updated by SVN version control - so long as the mapper regularly updates then the bugs will be fixed as they go along and their files will be sync'ed with everyone else's - they also have to commit their map a reasonable time before the testing session so that it can be added to the updates for distribution to everyone else. It sounds a bit complicated but it isn't really and it does work - producing a rapidly evolving system to be evaluated at each testing session.

If they use our Mantis bug-reporting system then the mappers can greatly facilitate the bug-squashing process.

As I say to our testers, "Mantis or it stays there". :)

For the kind of stuff most mappers will be interested in... new weps, new unis... there is a certain (though not great) use of placeholders whilst our animation 'team' produce the necessary. But certainly nothing to stop gameplay- and balance-testing, which, as any good mapper knows, are the most important aspects of the map development process anyway.

Glad we got rid off the bug called Falesthy

j/k :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
So you are saying that your going to allow mappers to access and get from SVN? If that is not true I dont think you answered my File mismatch error. I may have it all back to front and messed up in my thinking. But if you update your code base and there is a map out there already using say a pre beta relase version a new version of the map would need to be released if my thinking is correct. Same with subsequent versions of the map as well whenever you change your packages.

Upvote 0
at Divinehammer,

Why not make the map first and add the CC specific actors and fancy-schmancy stuff later, when the bugs are fixed. Most part of the mapping is the same...or so they tell me :D

I agree but I am about to that point so I like to get my timelines to meet together. Also thought I would ask the question for anyone else wanting to use the same content.

Upvote 0