• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Outsider Impressions and a Question

Tetsu

Feb 4, 2008
Good day sirs,

I'm a long time gamer and have been playing games for around 20 years ...at least.

I've only just discovered and purchased (today) the delights of RO. what i cant believe is why this game is so tucked away? not in terms of avialibity but just in the general consciousness, I'm a forum user for most of the big "esports" sites (depressing as it is) and I've never even heard a whisper of RO through them. even though all the other sub standard WW2 get mentioned left right and centre.

The only reason i found out about it was through a Sim junkie friend of mine who's been hassling me to get it for months, why didn't i get it straight away? because i couldn't see the wood for the trees. the genre is swamped and this title seems buried by the ruble of mediocre WW2 games.

I was also slightly put off by posts in this forums about the state of RO and the fact its dieing, well i had some fantastic games today on full servers and it was the most live fun i've had in years on a game.

Anyway i'm truly blown away with this purchase and the one thing that pushed me over the edge to buy it was seeing how passionate about it people were, that enough was incentive to buy it just to support a team of devs that actually were creating something people truly loved.

right, enough with the ramblings. are there any net setting i need to tweak in the config? or is it just the basic rate 10000?

thanks for your time and thanks tripwire for a passionately created piece of intelligent software.

-Tetsu

Well part of the reason you dont hear much about RO is the fact Tripwire was first a mod-developer.
They won a prize from Epic (Make Something Unreal), giving them access to Unreal Engine 2.5 and 3.0, and some extra money.
With that, they created Tripwire, and allmost give the game away for a measly 20 dollars :D
Next to being an allready unknown developer, realism games are allready a niche market, wich kind of results in the basic need of mouth-to-mouth advertising instead of some big advertisement around websites, tv and such.

The reason you hear about those other mediocre WW2 games is because their from big developers, got lots of hyping-up, and they appeal to the masses. Were we just have little mouth-to-mouth advertising cause we're just a small community, they go allmost global.
People might think RO is dying, but in the mod-days the community was even smaller. There will allways be RO players. Maybe not as much, but they'll be there. From there, quality of playing also will go up when everyone brings in huge amounts of experience :D

Upvote 0
thanks for the great reply, IMO there's a lot of potential players out there for RO. i know at least 3-4 of my friends will be joining the community as soon give them the heads up. i was very surprised to see loads of full servers when i logged on for the first time this afternoon, i actually snuck off to an empty server but after 10 mins it was full of people :mad::D
anyway i'm looking forward to a long RO career as this is gonna be my fps of choice.

Upvote 0
Good to hear:) glad you like it for many find it can be a difficult game to love with the unforgiving damage system etc, but if you do like it, it offers an online experience largely unique and refreshing especially compared to the cod's and halo's of this world.
Oh and you shouldnt need to adjust anything as long as you have a decent system and importantly at least a 1gb ram does wonders for load times.

Upvote 0
Good to hear:) glad you like it for many find it can be a difficult game to love with the unforgiving damage system etc, but if you do like it, it offers an online experience largely unique and refreshing especially compared to the cod's and halo's of this world.
Oh and you shouldnt need to adjust anything as long as you have a decent system and importantly at least a 1gb ram does wonders for load times.

my recent background is 3 years of counter strike cz/1.6/css been senior admin for 2 years in 2 clans i helped start and now need a change. i've always been a sim fan at heart, but always found most shooters dont cut it so i've just stayed with the most arcadey.

my pc is pretty spoony, E8400, 8800gtx and 4 gigs of ram so the game is running like a dream!

Upvote 0
part of me feels a bit gutted i've only just found this game, at the same time i'm, loving it too much to care.:)

one other thing, my first game yesterday. i was German and protecting the market as the last objective. i was actually doing really well then i got accused of camping? is that really a no go with this game? all i did was put my self in a great position and was able to wipe out the opposites team again and again, and re-locate slightly before the second wave.

i use to tell people off for complaining about camping in CS as obviously in matches and stuff its fine but i literally LOL'd when someone got funny with me yesterday ,am i a being unreasonable? i though he was joking but he was being deadly serious.

Upvote 0
publicity allways was the problem of the game.

even in germany there was only a very short period of time with publicity in game-magazines by the publisher frogster (not the best choice IMO) + short tests in this magazines with quit good results.

it never got the position in e-gaming-scene it should have :(

hopefully tripwire learned something with the release of RO:Ostfront, so maybee the new game will get a better publicity and the breaktrough.

Upvote 0
I played BF1942, FH and BF2 non stop since they came out, loved them, especially Forgotten Hope, and thought I'd never move on to anything else.

Then one day I was at the store to pick up a copy of UT for a friend. The game was in their '3 for UKP20' section, so I had to choose two others. RO was there. I'd never heard of it, but as I love WWII FPS games so much I thought what the hell, and choose as the last of my three.

When I fired it up I couldn't believe it. You've all been there, the steep learning curve, the 'where's the f***ing crosshairs?', the constant dying without even seeing my enemy. But even so I knew it was great. The feeling when you start a game and 20 of you run off to the first objective together rather than 20 players going lone wolf, is amazing. I'd never seen a game that rewarded gameplay and proper tactics so seamlessly.

Since then I've never really gone back. I checked out FH2 out of loyalty, and I still play the odd round of project reality, but really it's RO all the way. I can't wait for mare nostrum and the darkest hour mods, but until then TWB servers will do me just fine. The fact that I'd never heard of RO is shocking (OK, I think someone mentioned it once in FH, but I was too busy being killed), and although I've now been playing a year I only wish I'd discovered it earlier.

I'm sure I had a point to make at the beginning of this post but I've gone and forgotten it now. Glad to see new people are still finding this game. You'll get used to it real quick, then you can join in with everyone else in shooting me.

Upvote 0
Yesterday was awesome Tet!
You know you are doing well when you get accused of camping as the Germans in Danzig!!!!

We did so well to hold off a team of humans with just us two and A.I., you are NASTY with the semi-auto rifle!

So glad you finally came over to the darkside - this game and IL2 are the only games I have ever constantly come back to!

Y

Upvote 0
part of me feels a bit gutted i've only just found this game, at the same time i'm, loving it too much to care.:)

Well you found us now.. glad you like it.. . spread the word :]

one other thing, my first game yesterday. i was German and protecting the market as the last objective. i was actually doing really well then i got accused of camping? is that really a no go with this game? all i did was put my self in a great position and was able to wipe out the opposites team again and again, and re-locate slightly before the second wave.

i use to tell people off for complaining about camping in CS as obviously in matches and stuff its fine but i literally LOL'd when someone got funny with me yesterday ,am i a being unreasonable? i though he was joking but he was being deadly serious.

The only camping I'd consider a no-no would be spawn-camping on a map that has only single-exit spawns and no spawn protection.. And TBH, it's more of a no-no on the level designer's part IMO.
also in that cause I would do 1 of 2 things:
- either 'be nice' and give the other team some latitude to get out of their spawn
- camp the hell out of it so that people ***** and the map gets fixed.

Now; If you're just sitting in one spot that has decent cover and offers a good view with few approaches and you aren't head-shotting people as they spawn.. then tough luck for the other guy..they need to change their strategy :]

Upvote 0
No, don't listen to people who complain about your game. It only means you're doing something right. You are a soldier holding a specific area - it's called 'defending'. This isn't UT2004. The term 'camping' doesnt exist here.

..but just be warned, when you face highly skilled players - camping is not going to work. Most of this game is about out-thinking your opponent. You have to be able to do it quickly and on the fly. Good luck with your future in RO and Welcome. See you on the dancefloor.

Upvote 0
anyone who mentions the word "camper" in-game, should be instantly kicked IMO.
the other day some guy kept calling everyone a camper when they shot him while not moving. what an a-hole, camping is an art in RO. as long as you are not taking advantage of errors in the map.

if it wasn't for steam, i could have gotten a few friends into knowing RO when playing a LAN party.
only you can't run RO without an internet connection :( thanks to steam

Upvote 0
....then i got accused of camping? is that really a no go with this game?

Camp as long as you like m8. There will always be people complaining about it, but see, its basically their fault. A good player will get you out of your tent sooner or later in case youre really stuck at one place. But as long as your successful, dont pay any attention to people complaining about camping. In fact, as soon as people from the opposite team complain about you, you know youre doing a fine job ;)

Upvote 0