• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Tank concealment

Just wondering how many RO players actually make any effort to camouflage their tanks. Aside from a few drivers who have set us up in well-concealed flanking positions, I haven't seen anyone actually try to properly hide a tank since the old EFO days when we (the 20th) were fighting the 181st TB on Arad and our veteran tankers set up behind alternating buildings.

Am I the only one? :(

Shot00623.jpg

Shot00626.jpg

Yeah Kurz those were some fun times, but I'd say a lot of people still do this. Just play on a map like Debrecen where there is a lot of vegetation and you'll see some tankers do this. Really it's a matter between concealment and cover. When it comes to effectiveness though, you are better off being in hull down position where you can just have your gun exposed when shooting and the rest of your tank protected by earth or a building. Although if you are concealed by bushes at the same time, all the better!

Upvote 0
I suppose it'd be a lot more common amongst us realism folks than the players who hang around in pubs, because I don't think I've ever seen any attempt at it on a public server at all (aside from those hilarious times when someone pulled up behind a sapling's trunk thinking it would protect them).

Only problem is that it sometimes blocks the gunsight, so you've got to pick the right bush to hide in...

Upvote 0
one time i was Debrecen ;) and i took 3 t34/85 out and 2 js2 in under 2 mins when i was in a panther but i dont like to hide i always attack i use the landscape when i fight not just trees also hills one time i was on the slope of a hill and the enemy tanks did not see me and was in a tiger one :) and just blew them to bits a good player does not need to hide you can use all the map to fight and win :cool: there is always blind spots on maps you must [SIZE=-1]exploit them to win;) ohh and it helps to be cunning
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suppose it'd be a lot more common amongst us realism folks than the players who hang around in pubs, because I don't think I've ever seen any attempt at it on a public server at all
You must be going to the wrong places then.
As i see it happening most of the time.
In fact i try to do it when ever possible.Unless we can get a good hull down spot first.

Upvote 0
yeah you're not gonna need to conceal those tanks when they arrive-
You're not gonna need to worry about being hit, and you're not gonna need to ambush your enemy to score a hit in a vunerable area.
yes the reason i said this is many people forget things like this in the picture the Nashorn :) then people will know what true fire power is. thats why i said the king tiger and Jagdpanther they all have the same gun;) when these things are in the game fire power will knock on your door :D

Attachments

• Nashorn.jpg
    Nashorn.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
You must be going to the wrong places then.
As i see it happening most of the time.
In fact i try to do it when ever possible.Unless we can get a good hull down spot first.
I avoid most northeastern US and European servers due to my huge ping - living in Australia has its downsides when you're a gamer - but I do remember popping into a tanking server recently and getting nailed repeatedly by 85mm bushes. :p Still only seen it in that one server though, I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Upvote 0
It is a bit disappointing on the GA servers in Australia but really what will this concealment offer in the long run? Of course you will knock out a few tanks but with the amount of clanners<making a larger portion of the community and always communicating your shots are numbered :p
Debrecen is probably the most useful trying to conceal as the area so so vast that you can get a 2nd shot off before being noticed. That and BlackDay, riding a fully crewed T-34 through the trees in the centre before coming to face the entire German
flank. Great as a stug or German T-34 also taking pot shots, but usually ends with a friendly round up your rear with an un apologetic 'sorry'

Upvote 0
I always try an keep some kind of cover for my tanks, even if it just keeping a flank protected against a forest or mountain. But in most maps (BDJ being the biggest exception) it just isnt a very viable option to cammo a tank effectively. You can hide while an enemy passes, but engaging while cammoed is nearly impossible. You can definitely get more rounds off before being pin-pointed if you are near something like a forest (Arad is good for this part, if you park a soviet or german tank on the edge of the forest, it breaks up the outline nicely. I have been in a tiger pissed of quite a few rooskie tankers)

Upvote 0
In Ogledow I park my T34 in a little shed all the time (far right flank, in front of farm). Basically, it gets me side shots at anything coming into the town, and anybody who wants to fight me will have expose their flank to the rest of my team.

I hide in supply dumps and crevices on Krivoi Rog.

I get behind forests on a BT7 in Berezina, and hide to the flank of the bridge there too.

Bottomline - yes, I do this a lot. Maybe because I've played strategies and tank sims where hiding your tanks is important.

Best wishes,
Daniel.

Upvote 0