• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Little bit worried about state of Red Orchestra

but for how long i wonder? if they are fickle enough to have abandoned the stock game....

Thats kinda funny i played RO for over 2 years. It was fun but started to show its age. There is only so much 24/7 Danzig a person can take before they move on to something else... To ROs cridit I really haven't played any other game for long since i stopped playing RO on a regular basis. Can't wait for some mods to come out and bring something new and hopefully we will get "RO2" sometime this year.

Upvote 0
LOL, so do you mean make this game free? because that's basically what you are asking. The game is dirt cheap as is... any cheaper and they'll be handing it out as you leave the grocery store.

Actually, I think part of the reason why some people never bought the game in the first place was because it had a starting price of 20 bucks. Many people see that label and immediately the words "BARGAIN BIN" flash before their eyes. I know I've been guilty of that before.

So, uh, I don't think cheaper prices will bring people to RO. They've had tons of free trials and recently lowered the price a few weeks ago.

rofl man your da bomb show us some more of that funny scripture stuff:D

Upvote 0
i hope the devs will just focus on the next game to push that out as fast as possible in the best possible state.
Ain't this counter-productive for the soon to be released mods?

The way I see things the 3 mods will give people what they need to patiently wait till the next TW game comes out, and that could be end of 2008 if the mods are great.

Upvote 0
Obviously, you guys can post at these forums whatever you like, but if you want to attract new players, I don't think talking about the perception of players disappearing from the game, whether this is really true or not (someone needs to do a statistical analysis), and talking about that on a thread at least once a week, is really going to help Red Orchestra attract new players or the game.

I guess it is a fact that some people have left compared to a year ago, as it is inevitable with any video game, but I don't think it is anywhere near a crisis level, or that you can't play a decent game during prime time playing hours.

Look, some Mods, like Forgotten Hope 1 for Battlefield 1942, make it on their own for years with only about 60 players playing week to week.

RO, stateside, has a lot of people playing?? How many? I don't know; I don't really count.

But there are definitely enough people on several servers where you can play with 30+ people, even more, like 40 to 50, and have a great game.

Without a doubt, people who are thinking of buying this game visit the forum to see what people think of it.

Sounding a funeral bell all the time isn't going to attract new people, and there really isn't anything you can do about it anyway if players don't want to play the game.

I think we need to stress the postivie qualities about the game, rather than focusing on what may seem to be problems all the time, but things really are not that bad taking the totality of everything.

After all, last week had to be one of the best weeks for RO, with the release of the Minion Workz vehicle packs, the Maching Gun, and the decent maps of Kiln, Roadblock, Elyna, Schultzseppe's new version of PariserPlatz, and more recently KrasnyBor and Moscow.

So all those people playing Spaceman or whatever are missing out on this stuff.

Plus, it looks like maybe (guessing) Carpathian Crosses could make a release within six months or in the near future.

Really, I don't think things are that bad at all; on the contrary, the game is becoming better with each new map and addition people work on and release.

Finally, IMO, if a player is going off to play something else or do something else with their time, instead of posting a "Farewell RO Forever" in the General Discussion thread, they should say their goodbyes by private messaging their gaming pals.

Again, I cannot tell you, the RO player, what to do and I know you can do whatever you want, but for the good of the game, I think it would be best to avoid as much as possible, these sort of posts in the future, especially since there have been several similar posts of this nature already recently posted, and only issue these types of posts only if it is absolutely necessary.

(O.K., I just counted, at 1:52, E.S.T., kind of the late zone of playing, there were over 300+ people playing in total and a good number of servers with many players on them.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
cadyn said:
Price isn't the issue , people just don't know the game exists.
This would suggest marketing a game though steam isn't such a good idea to some extent. Before steam distributed the mass of games it does now, Red Orchestra got plenty of uninterupted exposure on the steam store page.
And of course it got 2 free trials- i would be interested to learn what percentage of 'trialers' went on to buy the game.
Problem was it took more than a couple of nights to get past the initial difficulties- and remembering the comments of some on the forum when the free weekends were on, I imagine many got put off rather than encouraged by some regulars' attitudes.

Someone here recently said that the game got a lot of exposure in NA too, so i'm not sure it's that much of an unknown.
But granted it never received great POS exposure in game shops, indeed i've probably only seen about 5 physical copies.

Ender said:
Thats kinda funny i played RO for over 2 years. It was fun but started to show its age. There is only so much 24/7 Danzig a person can take before they move on to something else... To ROs cridit I really haven't played any other game for long since i stopped playing RO on a regular basis. Can't wait for some mods to come out and bring something new and hopefully we will get "RO2" sometime this year.
Well i accept NA guys have a strange problem getting games on decent maps that keep the interest going. many ppl from NA say the same sort of thing, i'm surprised with that much latent interest apparentely still there this problem hasn't been rectified to some extent. It was good to hear when manny's was under threat it rallied some interest and presumibly got some good maps running and enjoyable games.
I hope in a years time ppl arn't put off the mods 'cos of the the 24/7 Carentan or Tobruck servers (or whatever- you catch my drift)

karl stiner said:
when the mods come out many people will come back to play:)

well i hope so, but you will need just about everyone who played RO to comeback to it to ensure all the mods get the decent playerbase they deserve because....

karl stiner said:
also many people will buy the game when they see the mods for it:cool:

....unfortunately I really can't see that having a massive effect.

I mean, as far as i can tell these mods won't be changing the basic gamestyle, the graphics aren't inproving - so how many ppl have rejected RO simply on the basis of it not featuring Americans/British/commonwealth involvement or weapons?
I would expect Players with that kind of blinkered mentality to be more likely playing your CODs and other mainstream games anyway TBH. (Not wanting to insult players of mainstream shooters, who i'm sure to be fair are a mixed bag)

I would dearly love to be proved wrong however.

Susi said:
First i would say that i didnt believed that my thread will rise so much
discussion....

Little bit worried about state of Red Orchestra
- lol

Upvote 0
Ain't this counter-productive for the soon to be released mods?

The way I see things the 3 mods will give people what they need to patiently wait till the next TW game comes out, and that could be end of 2008 if the mods are great.

The current game needs some help yes, but primarily bug fixes and some features that say the modders need. And as i said for custom content the mods will probably have to keep ro alive for now i just hope in some kinds of official support for those mods. Like if a server runs the mod you automatically go to the steam down page when trying to connect to a mod. And an ability to run mods with mod maps along stock ro.

Upvote 0
This would suggest marketing a game though steam isn't such a good idea to some extent. Before steam distributed the mass of games it does now, Red Orchestra got plenty of uninterupted exposure on the steam store page.
And of course it got 2 free trials- i would be interested to learn what percentage of 'trialers' went on to buy the game.
Problem was it took more than a couple of nights to get past the initial difficulties- and remembering the comments of some on the forum when the free weekends were on, I imagine many got put off rather than encouraged by some regulars' attitudes.

Someone here recently said that the game got a lot of exposure in NA too, so i'm not sure it's that much of an unknown.
But granted it never received great POS exposure in game shops, indeed i've probably only seen about 5 physical copies.

- lol
I'm in Australia and it got almost nil exposure in game shops here, I actually own the boxed game I ordered it from another state to get it.
I love it and do my best to get other's to buy it.

Upvote 0
when a ship seems to be sinking the rats are the first to jump off board, but when they will see it is still floating they will swim right back to the ship, and put stuff like "playing since 3.3" in their sigs...

seriously, i played COD2 for about 1 year when it was released, and i could never find filled servers during the day. only late in the evening and in weekends you could find decently populated servers.
but honestly, i like the actual situation. i can now join any server and everytime i will see people who's name i remember from having played with them many times before, but without knowing them.

Upvote 0
I mean, as far as i can tell these mods won't be changing the basic gamestyle, the graphics aren't inproving - so how many ppl have rejected RO simply on the basis of it not featuring Americans/British/commonwealth involvement or weapons?

Yes, but you can't expect mods to change RO overnight. :p At least with Mare Nostrum so much work is involved in just modifiying the game/adding new content that overhauling the game is pretty much impossible in a first build. I mean its taken us 2 years to just add one new army with a bare minimum of weapons. However in time we will want to stamp our own imprint onto RO in order to make it more than additional content and worthwhile playing, and I am sure the other mods are the same. :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0