• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More possiblities

nosferatukiller

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 2, 2008
Hi, I see you are very buizy wroking in ideas and stuff.

It is some time ago I've been thinking about how to work out new vehicles and so, but it is too complicated and don't dispose of much time.

Anyway, have you ever thought about building planes... you just sit on it and steer up, down, left, right, slower or faster and shoot. obviously it wold only work for large maps but I think it wold be cool to be able to combine tanks, infantery, planes, etc.

And if this is not enough, talking about global warfare... why not do boats with artillary. I recall as an example de beach assault map, it wold have been nice to bomb from the watter the german positions. After all, you had to cross with a transport boat, whi not having a PT boat or even a destroyer were each player could get on a tourrete while otherones drive the boat?

I imagine that it wold be hard work to do something like this, but one of the things I liked of RO was the possibility to moove arround in a tank or as infantery giving a lot more game possibilities, but I still am waiting for that game that is a global warfare were you can choose a plane, a tank, infantery or a boat, combining or not all of them. Don't know, but I think that the same way that a tank has been dessigned and programed I supose that any of these others that I propose can too be buildt.

Thanks for reading my crazy ideas.

Cheers,

Mikel

Yeah, that just sounds a lot like BF1942. Not that a realistic implementation of all that stuff wouldnt be cool, it just wouldnt work in RO at all. Even the biggest map that I know of where planes would be realistic, Berezina, you would have to find a place to put an air strip and all the planes. Even then, you would be able to cross the map in what, 2 minuets tops? Then, you could carry between 1 and 3 bombs depending on the fighter (I just assume you werent talking about bombers) and maybe 45 seconds worth of bullets. Even if you werent engaged, you would be running back to base for re-sup constantly.

As for ships, No way. Not only did they play almost no combat role on the eastern front, but they would be way too complex to implement properly unless the entire map was just a ship, in which case it would just be unrealistic.

Upvote 0
90% of current games don't even have realistic infantry to tanks and airplane ratios nor realistic ranges. Even most RO maps don't. This is one reason many developers feel pressure to give certain weapons/units unrealistic performance.
Just the meaning is that compined arm balance will be missing and that creates differences.
Only way for even current tank maps on ro to have as many tanks and arty as it is, is to have each player represent a squad/tank rather than single soldier.

Put that would be creating a whole new game.

Upvote 0
I could see if planes are added to map that has a huge vertical sky and relatively low draw distance to force the planes into dogfights. However I would like to see scripted dogfights over the battlefield for ambiance. Maybe have the falling planes hit the field similar to what random arty is now. I am not sure how many times this happened in real life but it would sure add a new dimension of tension in game having to look up for fear of falling wreckage. Maybe have a bomber hit and slide across a section of the field cleaning up infantry as it goes?

Upvote 0