• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Photos from 'Tol'ko Mig'

Nestor Makhno

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006
Penryn, Cornwall
I recently got my hands on a copy of "Tol'ko mig' (only the moment) - a limited edition photobook about Stalingrad.

It has some classic and some new (at least new to me) photos. I will eventually upload them to my site (see the link in my sig). In the meantime, though, here is one of a captured German sniper.

Judging by the way that tankist is holding his TT33 and the way these guys are glancing at the camera I have to say that things do not look too hopeful for the man.

s_captured_german_sniper.jpg

I was thinking of maybe making a Stalingrad map scenario for RO.

I've seen other photos of Stalingrad by a famous Soviet Russian photographer (I think his last name is Zelma) and I notice most of the ruined buildings' bricks look the same and, in the black and white photos, have a white blanched appearance.

Has anyone seen any of these WWII era bricks from Stalingrad, maybe at London's Imperial War Museum or somewhere else?? What color are they??

They probably are a dusky yellow, white, or cream color?? They don't look red or brown.

Anyone know??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did a real quick search, and several people who have visted the modern city say that this mill (which some people say, I believe erroneously, is Pavlov's House) was the only building that was left standing in Stalingrad after the battle.

Well, I don't think that is probably true because in Time-Life's Red Army Resurgent (1977) by John Shaw, there is a two page photo of some Soviet soldiers celebrating in a Stalingrad square after the battle, and there are buildings around the square, and some of them seem in pretty decent shape; one large building looks (a side view) intact and at least the facade of a city building is standing.

Who knows . . . CNN wasn't there to film it.

Beside the Stalingrad museum in Volgograd is a red brick building full of bullet holes. This is the only (to my knowledge) remaining building from the former Stalingrad. Yakov Fedotovich Pavlov is credited with holding this building against the Nazis for an amazing length of time, and against all odds. He is one of the most famous heroes of the battle-

(From a Tourist who visted Volgograd within the last few years).

Now the brick in the final photo I agree does look darker; still, in most of the photos I've seen the bricks do look almost a blanched pale color.

I only have color two photographs of Stalingrad in a book on the Eastern Front; one shows German soldiers in the Tractor Plant.

The bricks seem to have, at least in this factory, a light brownish red color, but some of the bricks which have been broken up into rubble have a pale greyish white concrete appearance.

In a second photo of a some civilians living in a ditch, I see a light brownish (not a deep brick red) chimney stack in ruin, in the distance city buildings (not individual houses) that have a white appearance, though from the distance it is hard to see what exact pale color they are; then there are light brown, whitish, and blackened scorched rubble bricks in the foreground.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That b/w photo with soldiers in kevlars and with flamethrowers is not from Stalingrad.
Such vests were issued to assault groups called "ShISBr" - assault engineer-sapper brigades. They were specially trained and armed to assault heavily fortified areas.
Such brigades were formed by order of Stavka in 30th May of 1943.
That photo you have there is dated as "September 1943, Central front".
You can find more info about this (in Russian) here: http://fortress.vif2.ru/biblio/shisbr/index.htm

Upvote 0