• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need to vent my suggestions for RO/RO2...

Yep, been playing RO for quite some time now, but I'm still annoyed about those little things that keep RO from being the truly ultimate realistic FPS.
Oh, and have patience with me if these suggestions already been posted elsewhere... I'm new to the forum. :)

Here goes...

Make all voice commands 3D!
As it is now, there's no point in using commands such as "Grenade!" as your teammates can't distinguish who's saying what and from where quickly. I think 3D voices would make teamplay remarkably better and actually have a function instead of just being there for show.

Make it easier to pick up items!
Right now it's often VERY frustrating to get what you want. Maybe a small menu system when objects lie stacked could be a solution? Also, you should be able to throw back grenades, like in DoD. DoD is arcade compared to RO, but that feature is still good. It's plausible that a soldier in a tight spot/room/trench/ would at least TRY to throw back the nade instead of making a completely hopeless run for it.

Combat engineers should be able to carry 2 AT-mines.
This could bring a bit more depth to the "Combined arms" theme.
When deployed, they can be neutralized/removed only by other engineers (maybe by just holding Z for like 10 seconds).
Of course you should still be able to choose the satchel charges instead, if you want too.

Tanks/transports should indicate when they're full.
-It would save time from people chasing already loaded vehicles.

It should take some time to switch positions in a tank.
This would make it harder and less effective to go around solo, and thus encourage teamplay.

Increase the exterior tank volumes.
When standing outside a tank, it's nowhere as loud as it would be in real life.

Droppable binoculars.
Make Squad Leaders/Tank Commanders/MG-gunners drop binoculars when they die, so others can pick them up. It was pretty common that snipers carried binoculars as well, so it wouldn't be wrong either to add it to the Sniper class.

And last...
MP41 should be selective fire like the real one!

Compared to the old pickup system, the one in place now is better. Theres just the gun and the ammo pack to pick up. If it was the old system, you'd be picking up the gun and each individual magazine, and that was an even bigger pain should you want to pick up an AT rifle and all of its ammunition. If you pick up an item you don't want, instead of throwing it back onto the same pile, look in a different direction and dump it there.

Upvote 0
I can't really argue with any of them and if they have been rasied in the past ( as quite a few have) ive agreed.

But in particular........
It should take some time to switch positions in a tank.
This would make it harder and less effective to go around solo, and thus encourage teamplay.

..this ones always been my fav. but i stress as an option for servers that want to run it.
Then again, with so few servers now we might as well forget about this one...in fact forget about the lot really cos they aint happening.

Upvote 0
Combat engineers should be able to carry 2 AT-mines.

Droppable binoculars.
Make Squad Leaders/Tank Commanders/MG-gunners drop binoculars when they die, so others can pick them up. It was pretty common that snipers carried binoculars as well, so it wouldn't be wrong either to add it to the Sniper class.

Re: AT Mines.. I'd say these were pretty rarely laid during battle. usually they had huge squads of ComEng's setup the often-miles-deep minefields during the process of all the other fortification installation (AT Ditches, hedgehogs.. etc..etc..). Don't believe what BF42 might have told you.
More realistically would be things like the HHL3kg (which I don't honestly know how often was actually used)

Re: Binocs.. I can agree with the statement, I can't agree with the reasoning.. Snipers often had -spotters- that did all the spotting.. Having a setup with an actual spotter would be cool, but only the most die-hard sim fans would bother being one or listening to one for a sniper.

Aside from that, I can't argue against anything else posted. except some sort of indicator about a full vehicle. Since RO is HUD-Light, it'd be breaking from the rest of the game's UI. A possible exception might be if you attempt to get into a vehicle it giving you a RO style message that 'this vehicle has no more space' or something. (does it do it now? i have no idea?)

PS: I'm sure most of these have been suggested before.

Upvote 0
If these suggestions are ones that already have been posted a zillion times before, i apologize. :)

The AT-mines were just based on a little idea i had, without any historical backup. On the other hand, how about pre-deployed minefields that engineers must clear in order for tanks to advance? It would basically work as any other destroyable obstacle in RO, just that they're lethal and must be dug up.

About snipers having binoculars, it's just a compromise of course since i suspect having a system with ultra-realistic "weapon crews" would kill gameplay more or less. Therefore it would be a good idea to give snipers binocs as well, to make their vision more realistic.

Upvote 0
These have been suggested before, and they're good suggestions imo.

Except for the - picking up of live grenades and throwing them back idea. This one plus the 'shovels' or 'punching' idea are just too, dare I say it, gamey for this title. People will master picking up and throwing back your nades, trust me. I know I will. And it will turn out to be a hugely frustrating feature in the end, imo. The first time you see a guy, instead of trying to take cover, actually run over to your grenade and pick it up.. throw it back and kill you - you'll wish it wasnt possible to do that sort of thing. Then when you see everyone doing it, you'll really wish it was out of the game.

I hesitate to say that the ability to pick up live enemy grenades and throw them back will cause people to 'cook' nades more, because then everyone will be clamoring for random fuses, but it's true.. once you realize throwing a nade is basically throwing one at yourself, you'll try to figure out ways to stop that.. which equals cooking. Or not throwing them at all.

Sure, I understand the feeling of laying prone and having a nade land right in your face and you're sitting there in that last moment thinking 'damn, I just wanna smack that thing away from me' but unless the enemy was standing right above you and dropped it right in your face, you probably wouldnt have time to get it far enough away from you. I say 'probably' because who really knows, but the point is a feature like this will bring in much more gaminess and only really be useful in those rare 'oh shi-' instances.

Upvote 0
A pick-up system with a menu similar to Mafia's interaction menu (where a menu pop-up if there are multiple actions available) would be perfect.

Just no fancy GUI please!
Keep it simple and clear with a transparant background, no borders and weird animations.
It should only display a small vertical list with weapon/ammunition/item name which is highlighted when selected.
Then the play should press fire key/action key to activate the wished interaction.

Oh and no deathmessages by standard plz!

Upvote 0