• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO FORUMS INVESTIGATES!!1: Tripwire's next move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Science Fiction

Realistic

Oxymoron

Haha by that definition realistic video/computer games are a oxymoron.

OFP: Realistic gameplay fictional scenarios.
ArmA: Realistic gameplay fictional scenarios.
INF: Realistic gameplay fictional scenarios.
RO: Realistic gameplay fictional scenarios (even if they sometimes take place in somewhat realistic or authentic environments)

And the list goes on.

Also if you look at literature the definition of fiction isn't that a book is unrealistic or realistic. I'll quote wiki:

Wikipedia said:
Fiction is the telling of stories which are not entirely based upon facts. More specifically, fiction is an imaginative form of narrative, one of the four basic rhetorical modes. Although the word fiction is derived from the Latin fictio, "to form, create", works of fiction need not be entirely imaginary and may include real people, places, and events. Fiction may be either written or oral. Although not all fiction is necessarily artistic, fiction is largely perceived as a form of art and/or entertainment. The ability to create fiction and other artistic works is considered to be a fundamental aspect of human culture, one of the defining characteristics of humanity

Upvote 0
LoL whatever mate, TW aint making a Sci-fi game (just like like they aint making a WW1 game) So again I ask myself, why the hell am I arguing about it... :rolleyes:

this is just "us" going crazy, and eventually ending up in cannibalism untill they tell us about the game.

nestor was right, it is verry unlikely that a group of independant game makers can make a game like RO without being crazy about ww2 themselves.
the hope of the entire ww2 game fans lies in the hands of twi, to have a quality ww2 game to play in the future.

it is raining big budget sci-fi and modern combat games atm, and the few ww2 games that come out are aimed at the console market. games made in no time, by a team of employees who don't know sh.. about ww2.

the big business companies have exhausted the ww2 theme to the last clich

Upvote 0
Dudes, ww2 or Vietnam is the thing. Doubt we'll see a vietnam game though.

Btw, it would be crazy if they come out with something totally different.

What kind of non-fps games have been done or are in the works on the UE3 engine or the previous Unreal engines?

IIRC, some of the Splinter Cells were on the Unreal Engine, next thing you know we'll get an infiltration game starring

Upvote 0
this is just "us" going crazy, and eventually ending up in cannibalism untill they tell us about the game.

nestor was right, it is verry unlikely that a group of independant game makers can make a game like RO without being crazy about ww2 themselves.
the hope of the entire ww2 game fans lies in the hands of twi, to have a quality ww2 game to play in the future.

it is raining big budget sci-fi and modern combat games atm, and the few ww2 games that come out are aimed at the console market. games made in no time, by a team of employees who don't know sh.. about ww2.

the big business companies have exhausted the ww2 theme to the last clich

Upvote 0
They need to incorperate very neat ideas to their next game to be "widely" succesfull. Like a nice squad system, maybe a new gametype (realistic), probably with stat tracking and promotions etc and other stuff that makes people come for more.

If they give us "more from the same", I'd consider it a big fail. Because even the most hardcore RO players are somewhat bored from the current state.

Upvote 0
A realistic sci-fi game is not an oxymoron. It can definitely be done. Think light machine guns that shoot 3000 rounds per minute, cornershot weapons, unmanned vehicles, stealth helicopters, heck even laser weapons would be cool imo. And the speed of the gameplay wouldn't be faster than RO, because you'd still play with humans. Mostly ironsights of course. All you need is some imagination, and you can think of a cool concept.

But D3t3ro doesn't believe that WW1 can be done either, so ignore him.:D

And I agree with Rak. The bar has been risen for multiplayer games in 2007, so I'm curious what TWI will add in their next game.

Upvote 0
i know what u ppl mean with realistic sci-fi, but i don't think you can use those two words together.
a realistic game is a game that takes in account the limits of reality.
a sci fi game is a game that doesnt need to take in account any limits of reality, thats why its called "science fiction" and not "futuristic". so the terms realistic and sci-fi anihilate each other.

so ask for a realistic futuristic game, not a realistic sci-fi game. because any sci-fi game IS realistic by defenition, since it takes place in its own fictional world

Upvote 0
i know what u ppl mean with realistic sci-fi, but i don't think you can use those two words together.
a realistic game is a game that takes in account the limits of reality.
a sci fi game is a game that doesnt need to take in account any limits of reality, thats why its called "science fiction" and not "futuristic". so the terms realistic and sci-fi anihilate each other.

so ask for a realistic futuristic game, not a realistic sci-fi game. because any sci-fi game IS realistic by defenition, since it takes place in its own fictional world

But yet a lot of the good sci-fi literature takes into account the limits of reality, while depicting a scenario in which the progress of technology and science is a bit a head of our. Hence the "science-fiction" and not just "fiction". (as an example read novels like "Hammer of God" by Arthur C. Clarke)

Upvote 0
yes, because the definition of sci-fi includes that you can jump 2 meters and have a magical crosshair, how do you call a sci-fi game that doesnt have those then?, by your definition is completely impossible to take out the gamey **** and unrealistic helps, cause you think that all the sci-fi fans are just retards who deserve to swallow crosshairs for the rest of their lives?

Upvote 0
Maybe the next Terminator will be realistic! I supposed thats why 1 & 2 was so damned good, was because it was realistic!

Same goes for Robocop to an extent

Don't be so goddamn ignorant. Open your mind. Let me break it down for you.

Unrealistic sci-fi: warp speed spacecraft, space travel, Star Wars, crosshairs, ability to double-jump 30 meters through the air, etc.

Realistic sci-fi: iron sights on the weapons, "normal" bullets, use of cover, resting your weapon to reduce recoil, squad tactics, one-hit kills, lean function, "what if" scenarios, etc.

Sci-fi movies can be realistic too. For example, Star Wars = unrealistic. But Blade Runner and Children of Men portray a future that is a lot more believable. Just because you can't imagine a realistic futuristic game doesn't mean it's not possible.

A "what if" scenario could be: China & Russia invade the US, with battles in future New York and Washington.

If you still don't get it, I pity you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sci-fi movies can be realistic too. For example, Star Wars = unrealistic. But Blade Runner and Children of Men portray a future that is a lot more believable. Just because you can't imagine a realistic futuristic game doesn't mean it's not possible.

I would disagree but in doing so phaps strengthen your point.

Starwars is not a SciFi movie, it's fantasy ( at least in my understanding of the term without trawling the net for definitions)
It just happens to be set in space- so I fully understand why the term is often used. Science fantasy is maybe the best description, but as it does not involve the human race technically thats all it can be.

My opinion as someone brought up on Asimov, Wells, Philip K dick etc

Bladerunner is a true SciFi film , it's a classic Gumshoe detective romance set in mankind's possible future.

Despite having fantasy elements like some of the creatures, Deus-ex is a SciFi as it deals with mankind's possible future. It is classic future shock if you like, with the political and social comments it makes.

As for Tripwire's next game? I would love to see a 'true' SciFi game, but agree with D3 it wont be coming from TWI - I don't think these guys have it in them.

I think a lot of ppl like me are playing for a quality DeusEx3, with, if we're lucky, a clever tech based MP included- which would include 'realistic' combat as i think most of us understand it.

To me the Vietnam setting is now looking pretty bare and these are the guys to pull it off. It's the smart move i think, if we are moving away from WW2

Upvote 0
But yet a lot of the good sci-fi literature takes into account the limits of reality, while depicting a scenario in which the progress of technology and science is a bit a head of our. Hence the "science-fiction" and not just "fiction". (as an example read novels like "Hammer of God" by Arthur C. Clarke)

you are absolutely right, except that sci-fi by defenition is fiction.
so a sci-fi game with stuff like crosshairs (pilots already have magical crosshairs displayed inside their helmet visor) cannot be unrealistic or realistic. simply because it takes place in a fictional environment.
on the contrary, a ww2 game with crosshairs IS unrealistic because we know it didnt exist.

just call it a non-gamey sci-fi game, in a world with super high tech weapons and without the stuff you dont like (like crosshairs wich will verry probably exist in the near future)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.