• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supression(yes I know it's been posted before)

Also... sales figures would never be heavily impacted by something such as this, and if your game is projected to do so poorly to the point of having you contemplate these kinds of questions - you really need to be asking yourself why you make games to begin with. At least us, the lovers of games, can get a good idea of what kind of company we're dealing with.. a money-grab-squeeze-every-last-penny-out-of-the-consumer-by-homogenizing-everything-to-appeal-to-the-largest-group type company, or people who make games because they love gaming too and they want to create meaningful, quality interactive art. Deep thinking innovators like Mizuguchi don't create beautiful games like 'Rez' because they have sales figures in mind.

...and don't give me that 'they need to eat too' song and dance. Tripwire is not starving. I don't buy that for a second. They can afford to please their hardcore base that has been with them for years. They know what we want and what we don't want. But again, they'd need to ask themselves why they do this.. is it to become some massive company utilising money sucking tools like pay-to-play, episodic releases or even expansion packs.. curtailing their design to appeal to the less savvy, or do they want to be a stable studio making some of the most deep, cutting-edge interactive art... creations they can be proud of not based on numbers but the effect they had on their players.

Not everyone thinks along these lines.. most gamers are knee-jerk consumers who will buy anything you put in front of them, but as for myself, and I'd like to think 'those like me', I would drop support for a studio who demonstrates, through the design and delivery of their creation, the focus of their intent to be the bottom line. In the blink of an eye I would walk away.

Upvote 0
Blur is an on/off option in your config panel. I suspect most players turn it off either for performance gain or just to 'not' have it affect their play.
I know the option.
I said I can't see the problem.;)

Turning off Blur doesn't just turn it off but it replaces it by a screen darkening effect. It doesn't look as cool and maybe its not as obscuring but - and I can only speak for myself - that option affects my gameplay a lot more than the blur. Whenever it goes dark suddenly I have to blink and its disturbing to be under fire. The blur just blurs everything a bit. Couldn't care less to be honest. If it would at least throw off your aim a bit in both modes (blur on and blur off)...

Upvote 0
Blur is an on/off option in your config panel. I suspect most players turn it off either for performance gain or just to 'not' have it affect their play.

Blur is an on off option, suppression effects aren't. If you disable blur as murphy said the screen will darken. And most people consider darkening of the screen as a worse effect than the blur. So putting blur on usually makes things easier.

Upvote 0
When I was still on my old computer I turned off blur for performance gain but the blackening was rather annoying so I decided I'd rather have blur and degrade performance a bit than have an almost un-changed performance and blackening.
Needless to say that I use blur on my new machine, but it hardly suppresses me unless it's an arty strike.

Upvote 0
I think that the effect in FH2 increases with the number of bullets fired at you, so if someone fires a single rifle bullet above your head, you hear the crack and the screen goes blurry a bit, simulating the instantaneous fear you'd feel at that moment and it returns to normal pretty quickly.

That's not how it works in FH2, actually. You don't get an increasing amount of blur the more weapons are shot at you. The blur effect (and deafening effect) only applies to specific weapons and is universal in its application. The same effect is used for grenades, large calibre weapons (IE: tank guns, artillery guns), and basically all explosions. That's what the blur effect is -- an explosion effect.

It goes away about 5 seconds after the last explosion happens. So if you fire one shot, it'll take 5 seconds after that shot for it to die off, and if you fire an entire 50 round belt, it'll die off after 5 seconds from the last shot. :)

It also doesn't apply to any other small arms except the MGs. Rifles, pistols, and SMGs do not have the effect applied to them.

With MGs it's a bit different though, since you'd probably me more afraid to peek out of cover if someone was firing bursts or full auto at your position or if grenades were exploding around you.

Of course, this depends on the individual and you cannot generalize it for every person on the field of battle, but I think that the effect in FH2 does the job pretty well.

Depends on what you want. If you want an end result of riflemen not being able to peek out of cover (since they won't ever have "fear of death" in a video game), then yes, it's quite effective. If you want a realistically modeled battle environment and want realistic physiological reactions (as opposed to psychological ones), then it's a pretty lousy system and isn't realistic at all.

Personally, I find it to be rather heavy-handed. I think a better approach is to improve the sound scheme and leave the graphical effects out of it. But the devs won't do that. Second best option is toning down the length of the blur and toning down the effective radius so it can't go through walls and such.

And yeah, without the bright LAZER tracers we have at the moment, the MGs would be a lot more deadly, as displayed in Kriegstadt. And, RO's uniform colors allow you to spot targets at a distance without too much trouble so the MG-ers have a harder time remaining undetected.

Yep. I've always thought that if the tracers are turned off, suddenly the MG becomes VERY powerful. As it should be. But with them on, well.....tracers work in both directions.

Upvote 0
EXACTLY what I've been trying to say a million times here..

really hope some one could make a suppression code .. with realistic bullet cracks...

Common.. it will only make the game better and even more realistic (without F*** ing up gameplay)

the suppression on FH2 is just a bit too heavy.. but something between FH and RO would be perfect.

Many of you guys has disagree with me.. but TRY FH 2 .. and you will finally know what I was talking about 1 year ago!

Upvote 0
And yes... The tracers either needs to go.. or be smaller and less shiny..
I really don't understand why the devs wants me to stay in Starwars mood!
We are talking about a 500 year period i technology here!

Many comment its hard to simulate supression effects..

This has been discussed a million times.
Its individual.. cause its based upon many factors ranging from personality, experience, stress level (morale/spirit) and so on.
However:

1) ALL HUMAN BEINGS WILL HEAR THE BULLETCRACK!!! And most will auto-duck for a long time before they get used to that one.. cause when that CRACK is just next to your ear, you know that a bullet was WAY to close!

2) If a bullet passes 10-30 cm from your body you will feel the air pressure from the projectile and it forces you to unvolunteerly blink or spasm.
Especially if the bullet hits the surface around you hurling particles and dirt into your face! Just imagine the impacts of 7.62 bullet hits a rock surface 30 cm away... awww... its gonna hurt.. And then you've got the bullet bouncing all directions...

3) MOST normal peeps will most naturally try to stay safe under fire unless directly fired threatened by at the flanks. Nobody wants to take unessesary risks unless forced to. Thats why you see in most wars that things took its time unless if it was CQB.

I got some ideas for a mut to increase FOD (fear of death):
a) To implement 3 respawns pr player system
b) Increase spawn time to 30 sec
c) Remove flag capture and just make it last man standing.

yes the game will be abit "campy". But if you have tried Project realitymod for BF, you just know this will work just fine.
Of course Its not for everyone. But I dont care :)
Someone up for creating such a mut?

Upvote 0