• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mp 40 sights

100 meters is actually not that far, considering that the mp 40 is prettty darn accurate.(in real life)
Send me a pic of 5 round group that you've shot with open sights from a free standing position. Convince me how easy it is to put even four of those rounds in an 18 inch group at that yardage from an unsupported rest. You choose your weapon.;)

Upvote 0
And for the love of whatever, MP40 is not a "schmeisser". I wonder where people get that idea? They call MP40 as a "schmeisser" in that old U.S Army video too, so maybe that misinformation comes from that far.:)

MP38 and MP40 were not developed by Hugo Schmeisser.

the mags were made by schmeisser, not the weapon. schmeisser engraved his name on the clips. ;)

Upvote 0
Define accurate...Send me the pics guys. I mean really. I love all this bs about how the gun's effective range is... or is accurate to a distance of..... :rolleyes: Those are just benchmarks of a weapon's general characteristics and are used for comparison purposes.

The accuracy of many of the weapons in the game, while attainable, are far too consistently accurate to even be remotely compared to what happens "in real life". What about variances in ammunition loads. Manufacturing tolerances, windage, dirty barrels?....and on and on and on.

We've not even gotten into the realm of the individual shooter's skills. (This is by no means a braggard statement, I'm merely making a point...) Take my customized Remington 700. From a rest with a floated barrel, 4-10x power scope, and hand loaded ammunition (that through trial and error have found a load that works well with my rifle) I can punch holes in a quarter at 100 yards with 8 of 10 shots. That's from a rest, wasting the first round (to warm the barrel), and then shooting at intervals (not one shot right behind the other...because as the barrel heats, the rounds start to climb).

With factory rounds, I'd hit the black but the grouping would suck comparatively and the rifle would have to be re-sighted. Just let me stand and shoot free form.....hah! I might hit the black if I use the sling. Now...lets try this with open sights.....lol....riiiggghhttt.

Now I'm past my prime. But even in my prime, though I didn't come close to equaling the master marksmen in my class at meets, I did win Master a time or two (but that was usually with pistols :eek:).

My point is, the average GI is in the battle to throw lead at the enemy, not to take target practice. Its not the accuracy of the weaponry that wins the battle, its the side with the most lead in the air that usually wins the day. (There's a quote about that somewhere).

Floyd

Upvote 0
And for the love of whatever, MP40 is not a "schmeisser". I wonder where people get that idea? They call MP40 as a "schmeisser" in that old U.S Army video too, so maybe that misinformation comes from that far.:)
The MP40 was know as the "schmeisser" by both the US and UK armies. I believe it was a hold over the WWI, when the MP-18 was also refered to as the "Schmeisser".

Great vid but good luck hitting anything even at a 100 meters!!

ONE HUNDRED METERS!!!!!!!!!!

Think about it
Send me a pic of 5 round group that you've shot with open sights from a free standing position. Convince me how easy it is to put even four of those rounds in an 18 inch group at that yardage from an unsupported rest. You choose your weapon.;)
I do know that one of the requirments for the Sterling SMG was to put 5 rounds (single shot) into a 1 foot square target at 100m. Not sure if that was standing or prone through. So the round itself is up to the task.

Upvote 0
I do know that one of the requirments for the Sterling SMG was to put 5 rounds (single shot) into a 1 foot square target at 100m. Not sure if that was standing or prone through. So the round itself is up to the task.

I'm not sure that anyone is really saying that the gun, if clamped on a rest and fired at a test range could group like that, just that it's a challenge to hit a manned sized target at 100 meters with open sights and a short barreled weapon in a pistol round. It's possible, just a challenge. I've nailed people at those ranges in-game with the MP40, but could I do it in real life without LOTS of practice and luck? I'm not sure. And I consider myself a pretty good shot.

Upvote 0
Do the geometry. Just from a quick look at the video lets give him the benefit of having a spread of approximately 6 inches (15.24 cm) at 25 yards. Go out to 100yds and you're looking at 24 inches (60.96 cm) at 100 yards. I'm sure in a vise the gun is more precise. Just be sure to bring your shooting table and gun vise with you to battle.

I guess it depends upon one's definition of accuracy and precision.

Upvote 0
If you were taught to hold the weapon and aim correctly, groups at 100 yards for the average rifle should be no problem. (Like on the paper, not a quarter or that bull****)
What kind/size of groups?:p Everything groups (even the rocks I toss at the barking dogs late at night).

The quarter is a reference to the size of the group (or approximately one inch.) Eight rounds in an inch (of a 30-06) would pretty much be all holes touching. I haven't shot in a match in 30+ years so perhaps the terminology has changed? What are you referring to? That everyone can shoot one inch groups free standing with open sights at 100 yards? You wouldn't be selling ocean front property in Nebraska would you..lol.

Upvote 0