• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Collection of Obscure and otherwise Over-looked, un-hyped games.

Only had the original cause i couldnt find the expansions around here :(
Bloody hard in the end though.

I'm no where near finishing any of them. I played them all but never finished. I've decided to finish Order of Dawn before any fresh attempt on the others. Just finished in Whisper. Took me hours. And damn it is hard.

Upvote 0
Did anybody mention Homeworld?

Homeworld is certainly not under-hyped or overlooked. It's just old (classic). When it came out it was talked about all over the place and won a bunch of Game of the Year awards.

System Shock 2 fits though. Unfortunately it got overshadowed by Half-Life. If you thought Bioshock was good and can stand playing a game with outdated graphics, go find SS2. It's got features that Bioshock SHOULD have had but got cut for one reason or another (read: Consolization and simplification for the mouthbreathing masses:p )

Upvote 0
I still have my Homeworld disc somewhere. Its a shame I never really got into playing it, cause the interface was too confusing and the game itself was hard.

Damn right. I never finished it either. The interface wasn't too bad (and was really good considering it was the first RTS with fully 3D motion and such). But the later missions were just stupidly hard. I tried several times to get through the campaign but always got fed up with that one mission where you go up against that one station with the 3 Billion ion frigates inexplicably floating around it.

Upvote 0
Damn right. I never finished it either. The interface wasn't too bad (and was really good considering it was the first RTS with fully 3D motion and such). But the later missions were just stupidly hard. I tried several times to get through the campaign but always got fed up with that one mission where you go up against that one station with the 3 Billion ion frigates inexplicably floating around it.

Aren't you supposed to counter it with some sort of Anti-Frigate ship thingy and have minimum losses`? :confused:

And... please mr threadmaker go ahead and add Arcanum on the list!

It's a great RPG and certaintly did not get enough attention, it has a sweet storyline :D
Well, Bloodlines was equally as great, however it needed quire some patching to be improved :p

Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
http://www.terra-arcanum.com/

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
http://vampirebloodlines.com/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's why IL2 is on that list...

it is it is? I hadn't noticed well fair enough it shouldn't be should it

Having checked the list i see it's been updated to include suggestions from posters.

Is this a list of games overlooked by the mainstream gamer, so we can get together and reminisce, bemoaning the game's lack of popularity? Or is it primarily games so obscure that members here will find new titles they were unaware of to enjoy? I imagine the latter, which is more usefull, but suspect it will be a bit of both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is this a list of games overlooked by the mainstream gamer, so we can get together and reminice, bemoaning the game's lack of popularity? Or is it primarily games so obscure that members here will find new titles they wee unaware of to enjoy? I imagine the latter, which is more usefull, but suspect it will be a bit of both.

The former option (games we know but are nostalgic about) serves a purpose also. I ran into some kid the other day who had never heard of a little thing called X-COM. :p

EDIT: Oh and to actually contribute to the list:

Transport Tycoon Deluxe / OpenTTD
http://www.openttd.org/

Basically, if you remember Railroad Tycoon, this is it's spiritual successor. It's a transport simulator, meaning you build trains, planes, and automobiles to try and move people and stuff from city to city. It's like having one big train set and all the tools you want. And, it's abandonware now so it's FREE. You can grab the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe off of www.abandonia.org and then get OpenTTD (the open-source expansion, worth it) off the website I linked above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it is it is? I hadn't noticed well fair enough it shouldn't be should it

Having checked the list i see it's been updated to include suggestions from posters.

Is this a list of games overlooked by the mainstream gamer, so we can get together and reminisce, bemoaning the game's lack of popularity? Or is it primarily games so obscure that members here will find new titles they were unaware of to enjoy? I imagine the latter, which is more usefull, but suspect it will be a bit of both.

I was hoping to leave it up to the forum members, letting the list evolve into what yall feel is a good list. My original list is a little of both, including IL-2 and few others, but while that title is well known among us, it can still serve the purpose of showing off to other people who haven't already delved into the type of games we enjoy. (woop, like what Logistic Earth said).

Yall can request to have a games removed from the list, I just want to leave the final choice up to yall.

A little update coming up, though probably tomorrow or such, got a fever and fighting a bacterial menegitis shot as well. :(

Upvote 0
Oh, and you should add some sort of tags.. like [RPG] [FPS] etc :p

Yeah definitely, IL-2 is different from Arcanum is different from TTD.

How about:
[ADV] - Adventure
[ARC] - Arcade
[FPS] - First Person Shooter
[PUZ] - Puzzle
[RPG] - Role Playing Game
[SIM] - Simulation
[SPT] - Sport
[STR] - Strategy

With the option of having a hybrid, like Deus Ex would be a [FPS]/[RPG].
Simulation would need some fleshing out too, as Transport Tycoon and IL-2 could both be considered "simulations" but they're vastly different in gameplay. Maybe [SIM]-F for flight sim and [SIM]-E for economic?

Upvote 0
Obscure game?

How about Mister Mosquito :)

A Playstation 2 game in which you play a hungry mosquito. The object is to fill up on unsuspecting victims without them squashing you! It was tons of fun back in '02. Hmm, gonna have to dust off the 'ol PS2. Might even fire up REZ again :D.

Oh, speaking of REZ... it looks like they're going to make a high definition version for the XBox - you 360 owners should definitely check it out.

Upvote 0