• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

Beta 1.09 is most definitely not a cumulative patch, as it's only around 22 mb, whereas i remember most of the other patches being around several hundreds mb's, with one topper of 800 i believe.

As to Kettch's question, i havent played it but i understood it's a whole lot of black-ops missions, wich i personally dislike, even in OFP.
ArmA lacks enough open-area infantry combat as it is allready, IMO they should have focussed on bringing back the infantry combat, especially in open area's and not the urban ****holes most of them now are in.
They are nothing short of a nuissance thanks to the AI behaviour in cramped area's.

Upvote 0
Stuff that annoys me about ARMA is the pointless little realism things. Like how you have to stop to reload your mag or stop to take out your rocket launcher. I mean who can actually appreciate those dumb little realism details, they just end up being annoying honestly.
Actually having to stop to change a mag is not realistic in the slightest, sure you can't do it at a sprint, but you can easily change mags while trotting along. I think it's just a leftover limitation of the engine from OFP>

Stopping to take out your rocket launcher I can understand as you're shouldering one weapon and de-shouldering another. However the turn speed is ridiculous with rockets, though they've fixed it in 1.09. I mean honestly what were they thinking? I can load a barbell up with more weight than one of those AT4's and turn way faster than you can in Arma, easily.

Upvote 0
So does anyone know how to make a mission end in the editor?:D
Say, i want to have 2 platoons of Slags crash into 2 platoons of americans in a small city, and the game would have to end when one party gets erased from the game.
I've been trying to figure that one out since OFP and i still havent managed :p Tried different stuff found on the internet, but no luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
place a trigger, call it End 1. set it to activate once when Opfor is not present. change its Type to End#1, then change its size so it covers the entire battlefield, and then some. to test if that works, place a single SLA soldier in front of you with his back turned and shoot him. then, just do the same thing for the Blufor, but as End#2 instead. then, once one team is dead or has fled from the area, the mission should end.

this works in both OFP and ArmA.

Upvote 0
Thanks mate.
Gonna try it out now.

Currently i'm working on a mission, including units from XAM 1.4 mod, like BMP2 and M1A1 in desert camo.
It's hasnt really got a name yet but so far im calling it Town patrol :D
The premise is a small town on an island that came with the XAM mod.
2 patrols of SLA with 2 BMP2's march into town, as do 2 platoons of american soldiers from the other side. They have a M1a1, but it's not coming with them as they check out the town, but it will be available for backup. It'll take time getting there though, so they have to hold out as long as possible while the BMP2's reign supreme.
Now, with each platoon taking it's own road, it's only a matter of time before an entire cityblock is ravaged by war.

Some screenshots :)
Note, that i'm playing on extreme simulation mode of XAM, wich turns off every hint on the hud, leaving you with only a viewable firemode, and the squad'tube' if your the commander.
Also, i'm using beta 1.09 patch, wich improved combat AI a bit, as you might see a bit from these screens :)

The approach
approachzh6.jpg

The SLA patrol
slagpatrolmp6.jpg

Enemies spotted
entranceofcityoutskirtsrh5.jpg

One end of the city block, a firefight going on
advancinget5.jpg

Our saviour :D
armouredsupportjp5.jpg

Upvote 0
I have nothing but greif making missions with ArmA, like a week ago I was trying to just get a few tanks and infantry to march along a costal road. I had them grouped properly and a nice set of waypoints set. They'd shake out into colum fine but as soon as they hit the first curve in the road a cluster**** would develop, the AI would just randomly do donuts in the tanks then drive off the cliff, or run over a bunch of friendly infantry, so frustrating.

Upvote 0
I had the 2 BMP's cut loose from the platoons, and give them individual orders, each to a side of the road.
Once i experienced the BMP driving over a friendly unit, but after that one time it didnt happen again.
I'll pay some more attention to the point where the platoons split up, as one takes a sideroad in the city, see how it goes, but so far i havent really met any trouble.
Perhaps you should try the 1.09 beta, as it improves the AI a bit. Perhaps itll work now.:)

Upvote 0
It's coming alone quite nicely i must say, added a couple of other ideas that came to mind and see how they work, added a couple of little details etc.
Though, i probably cant find every little problem myself, so im wondering if anyone has, or is willing to download the XAM 1.4 mod and help me test the mission?
Some more feedback about difficulty, and ofcourse not properly working bits etc, would be really helpfull.

If i can find some people, i'll upload the missionfile on the internet and post a link here :)

Upvote 0
Alright, I tried it. And unless they fix it it's going to remain uninstalled from my computer. I really wanted to love this game, but it just ain't happening. The shooting mechanic feels sloppy (though to be perfectly fair, this is most evident when doing long-range shooting, like in the sniper mission after the first level, fand yes, I did rebind the "hold breath function to another key), and I just can't deal with it. And what's with not being able to look while moving? It's been about a week, but, IIRC, I don't think I could actually look around while moving, or if I could, I just couldn't do so quickly.

I really want to play a great, hyper-realistic military FPS, and I don't feel like tracking down copies of the original Ghost Recon and Operation Flashpoint. I may just do that anyway, but, in the mean-time, I found ArmA to be a huge disappointment, albeit one with a lot of good potential and intention.

Upvote 0
Try holding down alt, then the camera should move your head seperately from your body.

For the shooting part, it took me a long time getting used to it. Never been a fan of sniperrifles so i dont use it much, but with a regular rifle i can hit targets on distance really good now.
At first, i hated the shooting, it didnt feel ok, but right now, i'm in love with it. Free-aiming ironsights ftw :p
I think that traveltime for bullets are even more evident in this game then in RO, and you notice that especially with sniperrifles wich still feel awkward to me.

I remain with me request for volunteers to test my mission though :D

Upvote 0
The best part about 1.09 is so far that you don't need the CD anymore :/

I got Queen's Gambit and its ok so far ...

But seriously who is making this missions? They make a realistic shooter and make unrealistic mission design.

It was one of these "black-op" missions attack that base and its night.

First I start to do it slow and steathy. First guy dead and the whole base knows I am there :(

I still try to do it slowy and I am hiding in bushes I can hear and see a patrol passing by just five meters away :eek: I get closer to the base and kill a couple more ppl but then I get bored of stealth and steal a car with a MG on top, drive it to a hill and shoot everybody in the base I can see. They destroy the car really quickly but I can use the confusion to run into their backs (killing ppl on my way) and I now climb on a mountain trying to kill the rest. Hours laters and hundreds of quick saves and loads I am done :cool:

Took me four hours to beat that "beast of a mission", killed 50 (fifty!) soldiers and the sun was already up but it took me very long until I noticed that (stupid night vision).

Upvote 0
Yeah, Real Virtuality sucks.

I love the 10 km draw distances in COD4 and the ability to drive, fly and run through hundreds of square kilometers of terrain in that game.

COD4 also has an awesome ballistics model which really draws me into what a real sniper would feel like engaging targets at 300+ meters.

And how about the way that you have a physical full body presence in COD4, where the length of your weapon actually influences your ability to fight in urban environments.

The Day/Night cycles in COD4 are really awesome to behold.

COD4's Quake III engine really takes the cake I think.

Upvote 0
Yeah, Real Virtuality sucks.

I love the 10 km draw distances in COD4 and the ability to drive, fly and run through hundreds of square kilometers of terrain in that game.

COD4 also has an awesome ballistics model which really draws me into what a real sniper would feel like engaging targets at 300+ meters.

And how about the way that you have a physical full body presence in COD4, where the length of your weapon actually influences your ability to fight in urban environments.

The Day/Night cycles in COD4 are really awesome to behold.

COD4's Quake III engine really takes the cake I think.

Is this single player you talking about?

Cos as far as I was aware, it uses hitscan esp multi-player! Also where can you actually drive or fly? You're either on foot or a passeger in a chopper/truck?

Also the day/night cycle. Is that in singleplayer cos I never noticed it :confused:

Upvote 0