• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For gaming EXPERTS - FPS history

Wolfenstein 3d weapons kind of look like they were in a permanent iron-sight mode, though they sit a bit low for a real iron-sight view. You might need a better definition of what you mean by that. A seperate iron-sight function maybe? One you have to enable by pressing a button.

Yeah I realized something's wrong when I started getting Wolfie as answer to ironsight question :D

What I really mean, as you suggest, is toggleable iron sights. Like in RO, COD etc. Iron sights that you bring up to get better precision, at the price of reduced movement speed. So which game or mod was first at that?

Upvote 0
Free-aim existed before OFP. Trespasser had it in '98.

And Dark Forces beats Duke Nukem with offset weapons, too (1995 vs 1996)

Trespasser had a lot of things back in the day, a lot of wich unfortunately were so ahead of its time they didnt function properly and had to be taken out.
Playing the demo now, i see a lot of things people dont dare doing these days.
For example, the weapon actually being 3d and being dragged around by the extendable arm, wich meant it could get stuck behind walls or boxes (as i once noticed when i tried turning around to face a raptor running my way, the gun got stuck and the raptor jumped me).
Or the fact there was no HUD, your character counted bullets and weighed weapons (allmost full. 5 bullets left. 4. 3. 2. 1. empty. Hasnt been used. etc), or that you had to look down to check your health wich was shown to you by a tattoo on the woman's chest. (little heart).
It also was free-aiming thanks to that hand and its ability to get stuck on things, and you had to wait before the rifle was lined up again before you could look down the ironsights properly again.
Also it featured physics, though rudimentary, but when you try the demo you will notice the only way of getting down the platform is by shooting a few blocks under a big trailer on a hill, wich then will roll down etc etc.

ALso i think they didnt do the animations for animals at all, but they were being done ingame and were calculated on the fly by the engine etc.
You'll have to look up some more info of the game, i think a lot of things were really a first when this game did it.

EDIT: damn, now i really want to play the full version lol! Nowhere to get it unfortunately :(

Upvote 0
Yeah I realized something's wrong when I started getting Wolfie as answer to ironsight question :D

What I really mean, as you suggest, is toggleable iron sights. Like in RO, COD etc. Iron sights that you bring up to get better precision, at the price of reduced movement speed. So which game or mod was first at that?

D-day for Quake 2 (or was there also a Q1 version? i dont remember).

Upvote 0
Trespasser is gold. In the end its crap but it had cool ideas and plays a bit like a technically flawed HL2. I have it on my HDD somewhere ...

Where did you get it? I'd really like to have it too! :)
Not only for all the concepts it had, but also for a bit of youth sentiments lol ^^ used to play the demo with a friend when we were much younger, oh, how we screamed when a raptor came after us! golden days! :eek:

Upvote 0
Where did you get it? I'd really like to have it too! :)
Not only for all the concepts it had, but also for a bit of youth sentiments lol ^^ used to play the demo with a friend when we were much younger, oh, how we screamed when a raptor came after us! golden days! :eek:

You can find it on eBay but obviously I have it as an iso file from the evil internets ...

640mb I could sent it you via MSN or ICQ PM me ... you know you want it :p

Upvote 0
If you consider spaceship on spaceship a FPS (and inlcude game modules), you gotta go back at least as far as the Galaxian ( I think that was it). Played on the Atari 800 in the early 1980's. The Atari 800 was a computer with a game port for game modules. And Spaceship! was done on a computer back in the '60's. Of course at that time the computer was the size of a small house.

The 800 was a pretty powerful little home computer for its day. I wish I still had mine. It would probably be worth something.

Floyd

Upvote 0
Trespasser is one of my favourite games of all time. If you play it now, you're probably going to hate it. Imagine Stalker without conversations, without inventory and with clumsy controls. But the game had so many ideas back then: Real 3D weapons whose sights you had to align all manually... and tons of them, too. With awesome sounds.
Believable physics, where boxes would actually flip over instead of just being pushed around. The music was so awesome that they re-used it in Clive Barker's Undying. The textures of the rotting, concrete installations were astonishingly realistic for such an old game. The narrator's where top notch (Minnie Drivers voice is pretty damn sexy, and Richard Attenborough's too :) ). It's still the game with the best atmosphere ever, imo. Too bad one of the most ambitous goal was abandoned to finally get the game done: Originally the Dinos were to have a completely simulated AI where they would only attack you if they were hungry or you stepped into their territory. Yet it proved to be too much of a challenge so they set them all to uber-agressive.

Beleive me though: You either love Trespasser or you hate it.

Upvote 0
Trespasser is one of my favourite games of all time. If you play it now, you're probably going to hate it. Imagine Stalker without conversations, without inventory and with clumsy controls. But the game had so many ideas back then: Real 3D weapons whose sights you had to align all manually... and tons of them, too. With awesome sounds.
Believable physics, where boxes would actually flip over instead of just being pushed around. The music was so awesome that they re-used it in Clive Barker's Undying. The textures of the rotting, concrete installations were astonishingly realistic for such an old game. The narrator's where top notch (Minnie Drivers voice is pretty damn sexy, and Richard Attenborough's too :) ). It's still the game with the best atmosphere ever, imo. Too bad one of the most ambitous goal was abandoned to finally get the game done: Originally the Dinos were to have a completely simulated AI where they would only attack you if they were hungry or you stepped into their territory. Yet it proved to be too much of a challenge so they set them all to uber-agressive.

Beleive me though: You either love Trespasser or you hate it.

I love it, we will see what SiC-Disaster thinks :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I love it, we will see what SiC-Disaster thinks :rolleyes:

I will have to say just one thing...
This is perhaps the most underrated game ever :D I'm having great fun with it!
Cant remember the pop-ups being so obvious and evident in the demo (meaning the 2d sprites popping into 3d) but isnt bothering me all to much, i love the gameplay :eek:
The first time you get killed by a raptor because your gun got stuck on something, you'll fall in love with the concept :cool:
Also, the no-hud feature is pure genius, making good use of ironsights and 'realistic' aimingtime, meaning you cant swing your gun around like a maniac without losing a good sight picture (CoD anyone?) but the gun will have to realign itself.
I love how Anne (actually my real name lol :D) counts the bullets in a gun when she picks it up and when she fires it. "hasnt been used" "about 6 shots" "5, 4, 3 etc..... empy!" and then you use the throw button to throw your shotgun into a raptor's face :D
The physics, though a bit rudimentary (wich i blame on the age) are very cool too, i even think the dinosaurs get some sort of ragdolls. At least, when they 'sit down' lying on their stomach, you can push them over on their side by walking into them :)
The free-aiming is very cool as well.
The AI does seem to be able to go off it's uber-agressive mode, if only a bit, as i once walked past a stegosaur, and later ran into a raptor without a weapon.. I ran back, raptor on my heels, but i lost the beast thanks to his willingness to attack the stegosaur... When it was eating, i took a big circle around it and he lost his attention to me :)

In conclusion, the game does so many cool things developers just dont dare to do anymore these days, it's an old game that is sadly still very innovative. Developers really should pick up some of the things they did in Trespasser, they should have the resources and funding to do them more properly. (The arm can be a bit clunky, though you get used to it, for example)
The game does so many cool and good things, you can easily overlook graphics and some (imo) minor flaws.
Gameplay > graphics :) I'll post some screens in the screenshot thread.

Upvote 0