• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

needed changes for RO

FireBall1

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2006
Here are a few things that in my opinion need to be changed for the better to make RO an even better game.

1. Better HE rounds for tanks. The ones now don't even hardly explode and are almost useless against infantry. Artillery and hand gernades have decent explosions why not tank HE shells.

2. The tank commander should have a machinegun on top of the tank turret.

3. More and better antitank abilities for the infantry. there should be panzerfausts everywhere on the map as they would be in real battle.

4. The panzerfausts need to have better flight trajectories than the god awful lobs they have now.

5. More rounds for the machine guns. Who ever heard of an mg that only had 20 or 30 rounds per clip and over heated after shooting 60 rounds.

6. A better hand gernade toss. The act of throwing the gernade in RO is awkward and inaccurate. How many times have you TK'ed someone because the nade you threw didn't go thru a window and bounced back toward your teammates.

7. an underhand toss would work good in the sewers of Lenningrad.

8. Also how about an radioman carrying a backpack radio that he and his squad leader can use for arty.

these changes would make RO an even better game

5. More rounds for the machine guns. Who ever heard of an mg that only had 20 or 30 rounds per clip

the czech, the romanians, the austrians, the polish, the hungarians, the brits and many more. The ZB26/ZB30, predecessor to the Bren, and also the bren itself had 30 and even 20 round mags.

Edit: On a second read of your suggestions, i had to see that you didnt use the search function of the forum, nor did you consider the realism of your suggestions. But hey, i guess i missed the source where the germans scattered Panzerfausts all over the battlefield.

Upvote 0
But hey, i guess i missed the source where the germans scattered Panzerfausts all over the battlefield.

I recommend reading chapter 5 of the book "La-la-la WW2 land".

5. More rounds for the machine guns. Who ever heard of an mg that only had 20 or 30 rounds per clip and over heated after shooting 60 rounds.

worluk answered the first part, and for the second part it is due (more or less weird) balance.

8. Also how about an radioman carrying a backpack radio that he and his squad leader can use for arty.

Unpractical and short range for realism reasons, for gameplay reasons there is no real need for that kind of stuff.

Upvote 0
now don't get me wrong I think RO is a great game but it could be tweaked a little to be better.

Maybe I should have been more specific and said how mg42's had 30 round magazines and overheated after 60 rounds? not many I think.

There were instances in normandy where every member of a german squad had a panzerfaust because they were so cheap to produce. but ok maybe there wasn't panzerfausts everywhere but how hard would it to place enough panzerfausts in a map to give the infantry an extra weapon against tanks. To balance the gameplay the tank HE rounds could actually explode at least with the same damage to inf as a gernade.

I'm not trying to put down someone's favorite game but this game has so much potential to be even better.

And noone said anything about the tank commander's mg on top.

Upvote 0
thanks for the non-flame reponses. I do not know exactly the number of rounds in the mg's but I use the mg's more than I use any other weapon and they simply do not have enough rounds. If you can empty your mg in a few seconds that is not enough ammo.
Ok I just timed it and it took 4 seconds to empty a german mg.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FireBall1 said:
1. Better HE rounds for tanks. The ones now don't even hardly explode and are almost useless against infantry. Artillery and hand gernades have decent explosions why not tank HE shells.

Perhaps I always thought they were a tad too weak although on ridiculously small maps that infest most games I could see more potent HE rounds as an issue.

FireBall1 said:
2. The tank commander should have a machinegun on top of the tank turret.
German tanks had this for AA (anti-aircraft) purposes on the later part of the war the Russians had them for many of their tanks from the begining. Since there is no aircraft to shoot at I would say its not really something that is necessary. Although I admit it would be cool.

FireBall1 said:
3. More and better antitank abilities for the infantry. there should be panzerfausts everywhere on the map as they would be in real battle.
There already is an excessive amount of panzerfausts placed in easy to get to areas on stock maps some right next to the Russian spawns although there is some information that say the Russians did make use of the panzerfaust it was very late in the war (1945) and it was in "ill-distributed handfuls". That being said I really hate to see maps ruined by adding even more panzerfausts laying around. Only the Germans (and thier allies) should really see alot of Panzerfausts laying around in their spawn for exampe in Berlin the most common weapon in the German arsenal at that point was the panzerfaust.However I guess to be really accurate the Germans should only get 1 Panzerfaust rather than 3.
The Russian anti-tank ablities should lie to thier tanks, AT-guns (zis-3), At grenades, explosvies and possibly lend-lease bazookas rather than panzerfausts realistically speaking.( There are a bunch of mods working on most of the weapons mentioned)

FireBall1 said:
The Mg-34 has a 50-round drum clip although I thought for the longest time it was the 75 round drum this is because the Mg-34 was a universal machine gun that could be used in both light machine gun and as a heavy machine gun role. In reality there should have been 2 Mg-34's 1 the full belt verison and the round drum verison in game clip since they were both used extensively through ww2 but I beleive the Drum magazine on the Mg-34 was created later during the war not sure when though. Anyway I guess the clip verison was RO's answer to counter the Dp-28 LMG since none of the Soviet machine guns were put in such as the Maxim Machine and the SG-43.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
quote: "Maybe I should have been more specific and said how mg42's had 30 round magazines and overheated after 60 rounds? not many I think."

only MG34's have anywhere near that many rounds, and even they have 50-ish round drum magizines. As for overheating, the MG42 overheats after about 80-90 rounds, close to an entire magizine, of continuous fire. as far as I know, that's fairly realistic. and as for HE rounds, go use an IS-2 or Tiger. they work far better than any other vehicles for that.

Upvote 0
If you are having trouble with your MG overheating, try using controlled bursts instead of continuous fire. Rarely do you see a WWI wave of infantry coming at you where just laying down blankets of fire is effective. Even with suppression fire, it isnt highly effective. MG's are great at defending a position because you can put out 1200 rpm with something like the '42 which is lethal in short bursts as well. Your barrel wont overheat so much if you use bursts.

Upvote 0