• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Sport] looking to gain muscle mass

Although I'm not a bodybuilder other than some dumbbells and what workouts I can do with my own bodyweight, I have been an avid runner for almost 6 years now. The principle though is pretty much the same; discipline and dedication.

You know what though? Was the best thing I ever did. Stick with it and be patient with the results. They do NOT happen overnight. It's going to take some time. In the end, you'll thank yourself. :)

Upvote 0
how does this program sound?

3x5 chin ups with 1min30sec break between series
*3 minute break*
3x5 dips with 1min30sec break between series
*25 seconds break*
3x5 standard push ups with 1min30sec break between series
*3 minute break*
3x5 elevated push ups (hands on chairs, feet on a desk, descend as low as possible) with 1min30sec break between series
*3 minute break*
3x5 one-legged squats with 1min30sec break between series and after you switch to left leg
*1min30secs*
3x15 crunches

-mixed with a diet where you eat 300 more calories than usual mostly of protein and carbohydrates

-adding +1 repetition every training session and training about every two days

-when I reach the limit , I go back to 5 repetitions but of harder exercises like hand stand push ups or one legged squats where you make the suspended leg parallel with the ground (90 degrees)

sounds good?

I realize it's going to take weeks before I see any substantial result.. so I wonder what improvements I can make to it

Upvote 0
You might try that, yeah..
After that though, if this goes well, you should definitely add more repetitions. 3x5 isnt all that much. 3x10 might be better, after that 15x etc.

Also, you might try doing 'survivalrun training' wich is basically an 'every-muscle-in-your-body' sport :D
It's running, combined with obstacles. Ofcourse you cant build them yourself, but be creative. Try climbing under a bridge without touching the ground (only at the base so you wont fall in the water, unless you like that ;) ), climb trees up and down a couple of times, or just hug a tree at a certain height and dont let go, do push-ups, pull yourself up to branches, hang upside down on branches and do sit-ups, rope-climbing, try taking a backpack with weights etc etc...
It's a great sport, when you do an official survivalrun you WILL feel every muscle in your body afterwards :D
I do them for school occasionally, also for fun. Last time when i was finished i could barely tie my shoelaces the day after, cause my arms where that exhausted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmwEAaSTQsA&feature=related example movie of what i mean.
You could take elements out of this and use them, it's really an all-in sport.
Usually they are around 13 kilometres long and have around 50 obstacles, in january though there is gonna be the mother of all survivalruns, Beltrum =D Wich will be 20 km long with even more obstacles, it's a ***** :)
http://www.survideo.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=4 This is just some of the first 20 obstacles, as you can see obstacle 8 is allready one big mother of an obstacle :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0