• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need more close combat urban maps

you guys despite your personal preferences, have to agree that the concept of red orchestra has changed a lot since the first versions of the mod, back to where there weren't tanks, and there was no weapon resting, all oficial maps were very small, and that concept ionfluenced the mappers to keep making small maps even after the addition of the tanks to the game

RO:O, was released with a list of official maps, that featured a much higher % of open maps than RO:CA, new mappers who havent played RO:CA adapted to the "new concept" of the game remember how the map contest were all about open maps and tanks, and thats why there are so few CQC maps, thats why there are 24/7 danzig servers

I will always like RO:O, but for me, it will never be better than RO:CA, its just a diferent gameplay, it feels diferent in many ways

you say there are too many CQC maps, I say that I'm lucky if I find at least 3 in TwB that reminds me of the old RO:CA a little bit

so, whatever your preference is, you can't just say there are too many CQC maps

Upvote 0
I remember the right side, and especially the left side to be quite open streetways. Ofcourse with enterable buildings for cover, but i fondly remember being a german Schutze sniping from the windows in the building in the street on the right from the Reichstag :p
Picking off the pesky russians doing a long charge across the street :)

BTW, how about Lyes Krovy? Not really urban i know but it is CQC ;)

Upvote 0
you guys despite your personal preferences, have to agree that the concept of red orchestra has changed a lot since the first versions of the mod, back to where there weren't tanks, and there was no weapon resting, all oficial maps were very small, and that concept ionfluenced the mappers to keep making small maps even after the addition of the tanks to the game

RO:O, was released with a list of official maps, that featured a much higher % of open maps than RO:CA, new mappers who havent played RO:CA adapted to the "new concept" of the game remember how the map contest were all about open maps and tanks, and thats why there are so few CQC maps, thats why there are 24/7 danzig servers

I will always like RO:O, but for me, it will never be better than RO:CA, its just a diferent gameplay, it feels diferent in many ways

you say there are too many CQC maps, I say that I'm lucky if I find at least 3 in TwB that reminds me of the old RO:CA a little bit

so, whatever your preference is, you can't just say there are too many CQC maps

You have trouble finding CQC gameplay? O....kay....

SiC is right, I forgot Lyes Krovy. If that isn't CQC, I don't know what is. Then there are the custom maps... if you want to hipshoot and nadespam away, RO can give you plenty of that kind of stuff. You just have to position yourself in the right areas.

It's true that the mod had more "cramped" maps, but is this really what we want? Remember, RO strives for realism. Maps like Warsaw or Donets weren't realistic. The proportions were way off. The streetlights were almost just as short as the character models! Bigger maps = more realism... but even big maps should have CQC areas (Kriegstadt does this right).

I think the amount of long-range and close-quarters combat gameplay is pretty balanced right now. You can play both ways on most maps.

As for Ostfront having a different "feel"... this has been discussed many times. I don't know about you, but I don't want to go back to the robotic feel of the mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

true, not really urban, just a trench and not many places to maneuver, its just crazy ****, but is not bad either, even if its CQC it stil have the feeling of the open maps that I've grown to hate

Nimsky, I do want to go back to the robotic feeling I dont care if the setting is not 100% realistic as long as the physics are

Upvote 0
I must also disagree that more CQC is what RO needs. On the contrary, it's not much different than any other FPS in those situations. What realistic physics are you talking about? Bullet penetration? SMG recoil? Curious... because the one real physics item RO has, bullet drop, doesn't even matter on urban CQC maps.

RO needs more of what set it APART from run-n-gun games, and doesn't need to try to be more like DOD:S, which sounds like something you'd like even more than RO. Although we do need DOD:S's bullet penetration...imo....

Upvote 0
1 shot kills, recoil and no crosshairs, free aim hipshooting

I hate CODs and DODs

stop trying to troll me down with comments like that, you know what game suits me best? RO:CA , but hey, it does not exist anymore

Try STALKER multiplayer. Most maps are tiny, the game has proper bullet physics, and while 1-shot kills aren't as common as RO, they're still easy to get. Not sure about the free-aim though.

Upvote 0
Try STALKER multiplayer. Most maps are tiny, the game has proper bullet physics, and while 1-shot kills aren't as common as RO, they're still easy to get. Not sure about the free-aim though.

I'm actually looking forward to that, but presume checking it out would ruin the single player to some extent.

i think whilst Ro players are less lazy than most, a lot of maps can be hard work, as opposed to danzig which is set up for constant action.
It's not that urban maps are particularly needed, but their nature allows people to spawn safely close to the engagment.

I think a new map or 2 like kessel or warsaw, finished to a high quality, would be/would have been nice to see. They seem underrepresented in the game now, and are certainly a big part of what i associate my early Ro days with. i know where the OP is coming from.

Upvote 0
ok I'll kick myself out of this thread in your style

"ok Fedorov you are just an asshole and a troll, nobody likes CQC maps anymore, so nobody is gonna make them, so just go away and play something else just like every other RO:CA dinosaur did"

Christ dude I was trying to help you out. RO is not really moving in the direction of more CQC maps like you want, and it takes time and effort to make new maps. So I was trying to suggest a game that would fit what you want now.

I'm actually looking forward to that, but presume checking it out would ruin the single player to some extent.

Yeah, the single player game is actually a lot more wide-open engagements, with some claustrophobic undground and internat stuff on occasion. The multiplay was totally different though. Not nearly as many wide open maps, and it was mostly just deathmatch being played. I was kinda dissapointed by multiplay as I loved the slow deliberate pace of the single player. But it sounded like what the OP was looking for. But apparantly he took offense to that.

Upvote 0
Christ dude I was trying to help you out. RO is not really moving in the direction of more CQC maps like you want, and it takes time and effort to make new maps. So I was trying to suggest a game that would fit what you want now.

sorry, it wasnt really directed at you, it was at the general response I'm getting from everywhere, my problem is not the game, Danzig and Krasny for example gives me more or less the feeling of the old RO:CA, but thats it, only 2 maps, how long can someone play 2 maps without getting sick of them

Upvote 0
Fedorov, you need to chill out a bit man. If you'd put things a bit nicer then people would take you serious.

I'm sorry man, but I doubt you'll ever be satisfied with RO if you even consider Lyes Krovy to have an "open map feel".

You say that RO lacks close combat gameplay, but you couldn't be farther away from the truth. It's like arguing that the sky is green instead of blue.

Upvote 0
no buildings -> open map, lyes -> on-rails close combat open map

I put things how I see them, how you take them is your problem, if you don't take it seriously dont bother replying to this thread

and posibly all maps has close combat bits, but that does not count, there are not enough trully close combat maps like Danzig or Krasnyi

Upvote 0
I remember the right side, and especially the left side to be quite open streetways. Ofcourse with enterable buildings for cover, but i fondly remember being a german Schutze sniping from the windows in the building in the street on the right from the Reichstag :p
Picking off the pesky russians doing a long charge across the street :)

Yes Old Berlin was a good map,some CQC with a lot of open streets.I remember the cap to the right down at the end of the map.As u leave the axis spawn,make a right cross that street*fast* and enter that bldg with the loooooong hallway,and blast ur way to the cap,lol.,It was tough playing,no free lunches there.

If I remember correctly,it was the cia/cor server that was always packed with good players which in turn gave great game play.There was just 2-5 servers than(early MoD days) with som really good players.

Deadly riflemen:mad: eating rifle bullets as u leave the axis spawn in an attempt to dash across the street.If the allies had the 3 other caps locked up and were pushing for the Riegstadt,it was frustrating *but* was it fun

That server and the regulars got me hooked on RO.,, the many hours the memories,,,lol :cool:,,,,!SeaDog~

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1 shot kills, recoil and no crosshairs, free aim hipshooting

Oh yeah no crosshairs, that's right - that's the other thing that RO has that is uncommon in FPSs. Recoil, 1-shot kills, that's common stuff. But no crosshairs is big, I admit.

I hate CODs and DODs

stop trying to troll me down with comments like that, you know what game suits me best? RO:CA , but hey, it does not exist anymore

Oh yeah, trolling a guy who is calling for more "run-n-gun and nade spam" hey... btw that game doesn't exist anymore.

Upvote 0
sorry, it wasnt really directed at you, it was at the general response I'm getting from everywhere, my problem is not the game, Danzig and Krasny for example gives me more or less the feeling of the old RO:CA, but thats it, only 2 maps, how long can someone play 2 maps without getting sick of them

Actually, it sounds like what you need is something else and not RO at all. Why are you wasting your time with it if you are so miserable with the majority of the gameplay? And back to maps, no one dictates who makes what style map. Some guys made small stuff, some made big, some industrial, some village. Guys design what they want, not what you or anyone else decides. Everything you describe sounds like a COD game, honestly as one of the guys noted, the physics mean crap in CQC. Short of one-shot kills you gain nothing and as for that, there are mods out there that probably changed those settings too.

All in all, it sounds like you want small, fast to the action maps that require little more than bullet hosing your way through the level. I don't think any version of RO was ever meant to play like that. Again, my suggestion stands: get the tools and give it a go. If you don't like something, do something positive to change it. Contribute to the community with "your" style of level design.

Reactions: [TW]schneidzekk
Upvote 0