• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

is arma good? and where is the new forgotten hope?

You know things have taken a wrong turn somewhere, when an alien invasion map is supposed to bring fun to heavy realism game :eek:

Haha true, but come on, even operation flashpoint had the weirdest add-ons being made for it :rolleyes:
I think that those add-ons for ArmA are even a remake from the Operation Flashpoint version :p

Upvote 0
Polygon,

I think a lot of your problems with Arma have been resolved by now. I haven't had a crash in Arma since the 1.08 patch and the framerates are great with halfway decent computer (C2D+8800GT).

Is the game a disappointment on the singleplayer side? I gave up on Arma SP early on, to me it's a MP only game. And it does multiplayer coop pretty damn well.

Upvote 0
Yeah, ARMA was a massive disappointment for me as well. Unrefined, extremely buggy, and generally only ran better with high-end systems. I was looking forward to this title just like any other OFP fan, and to put it simply, the game just failed to deliver.

Hopefully, ArmA2 will be much better.

Fixed. :D
Tbh i allready see OFP2 fail, since it's not made by the original creator of OFP.
There are bound to be gameplay or experience-breaking ****-ups, all in favor of speaking to a larger crowd, or 'streamlining' the game while they actually mean mainstreaming the game etc...
My hopes are on ArmA 2 to finally deliver what ArmA didnt wholely do. Like many an OFP fan, i too feel that ArmA does not live up to the unofficial predecessor.
However, OFP2 (if i can even call it that) has a long way to go to prove itself to me. Right now, i dont even want to think of it as OFP2 yet.

Upvote 0
To enjoy ArmA you have to play it with friends/clan on TS on a Co-op map.

Exactly the way in which OFP was meant to be played and was played.

Oh and i don't know what problems you lot are having with running it as i have a P4 2.66, Nvidia 7600GS, under a gig of Ram and a cr*p MoBo and it runs fine with all graphics settings set to "medium".

AI are fine IMO. I've made more than 20 missions for my fellow clanmates, all of which run fine with scripts and all.

Look deeper into the game fellas, there's still Ofp running through its veins.

Upvote 0
Soviet is right, ArmA is a multiplayer game. If you treat it like a singleplayer game expecting a good campaign like OFP's, you will be disappointed. But even though ArmA has great co-op, I'm not surprised at all the people being disappointed in the game, because Bohemia simply delivered an unfinished product. It runs bad on even the fastest computers and it suffers from TERRIBLE lag. They've never fixed this, and I think it's unacceptable that they started working on ArmA2 without finishing the first part first.

Still, I recommend those people to try co-op on an Evolution server with a bunch of players on TS / Vent.

Fixed. :D
Tbh i allready see OFP2 fail, since it's not made by the original creator of OFP.

Wrong. :D I'd say it's the other way around. Bohemia Interactive have the right idea and design philosophy (= big online realistic battles on a huge map), but they suck at optimizing their game. They proved this with ArmA. You might say that they'll fix this in ArmA2, but I doubt it. ArmA2 looks exactly like the first part, just watch the screenshots and videos. My guess it will run just as **** as ArmA.

Yes, they may be the original creators of OFP, but if the game runs bad, it ruins the game for even the biggest fans.

Operation Flashpoint 2 on the other hand, is being developed by Codemasters. I'm thinking (hoping) that these guys pay more attention to optimizing their game, and not make the multiplay as laggy as ArmA's. It will run on the same engine that Colin McRae Dirt uses, and it's capable of rendering good looking foliage. Which is very important for a game like that. Dirt runs well on my PC, so my hopes for OFP2 are higher than for ArmA2. Of course we'll have to see if that engine is capable of rendering a map as big as Sarahni.

Judging that interview with Codemasters in PC Gamer, it seems they have the right design philosophy as well. In other words:
  • BIs have the right idea, but the poor technology (they better get their **** together).
  • Codemasters have the right idea, and good technology as well (hopefully).
I'd say they're pretty much neck to neck. It'll be fierce competition, methinks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dogbadger, I'm not trying to be nasty, but ArmA will hurt your PC in a very, very bad way.

Never mind the differing opinions of ppl here, this is enough to put me of the game for now.
And if it runs quite badly on the map comp prize PC ^ , then I have little chance.
In fact, i knew it wouldn't run when released and i havent upgraded since then- so why i presumed a bit more dust inside my pc would change that i dont know..

I guess theres still OFP, and believe it or not Joint ops:IC co-op is pretty good fun.

Side note sorry ,but thanks for advice I'm getting STALKER now, for what i imagine will be a different and memorable experience, despite any faults the game may have. I am attracted to games that appear to have character.

reason i mentioned it's MP is cos i'm sorta looking for a RL weapon shooter in large, attractive enviroments, where you can camp and try to track other players.
Kinda like what Farcry could have been, had it reached it's potential and featured DM/TDM maps that removed the rockets and other explosive weapons that seemed so popluar with a lot of the cowardly lame pricks that were attracted to the game online...

Upvote 0
Oleg, the problem I have with GRAW2's community is that when I'm on, there is 50/50 chance I will find ANY assault vs recon server while there are a dozen deathmatch/teamdeathmatch servers. How stupid is that. It's like running only Danzig with everyone having a PPSh-41.

And atm I have more hopes for OFP2 than for ArmA2. Codemasters have made some good games in the past, albeit no tactical shooters. But at least their games delivered what they should. I have a feeling ArmA2 will only be the catch up to what ArmA should've already had, basically a giant patch you pay for.

Upvote 0
I have to take issue with someone calling Arma soulless. I just love rolling through tropical eastern european (what a weird combo) villages or looking out over wide vistas with the view distance set to 10 km. It's just beautiful. If they put wild animals in it could be a tourism simulator. Or an African safari hunting simulator.

Yes the engine needs some fixes, like better netcode, but to say BIS doesn't have the technology or the brainpower to deliver . . . I mean they can't be that big of a studio. I mean the only issue I have with the engine is the netcode and being able to reload while walking, and maybe the vehicle network physics. If they fixed that it would jump WAY up on my list of all time favorites.

In fact I've said before that any game that combines Stalker's atmosphere and lighting with an Arma like environmental scale will be game of the decade. It's possible Far Cry 2 may live up to this.

Upvote 0
I have to take issue with someone calling Arma soulless. I just love rolling through tropical eastern european (what a weird combo) villages or looking out over wide vistas with the view distance set to 10 km. It's just beautiful. If they put wild animals in it could be a tourism simulator. Or an African safari hunting simulator.

Yes the engine needs some fixes, like better netcode, but to say BIS doesn't have the technology or the brainpower to deliver . . . I mean they can't be that big of a studio. I mean the only issue I have with the engine is the netcode and being able to reload while walking, and maybe the vehicle network physics. If they fixed that it would jump WAY up on my list of all time favorites.

In fact I've said before that any game that combines Stalker's atmosphere and lighting with an Arma like environmental scale will be game of the decade. It's possible Far Cry 2 may live up to this.
By soulless I mean it has nothing near the soul of OFP and Resistance, it seems so banal in comparison and lacking character.

Also technology wise all I can say is this;

My System
==========
C2D E6600
2GB DDR 800
8800GTS 320

Bioshock - maxed out 60fps dipping to 35-40ish under severe load

UT3 - pretty much the same as Bioshock

Crysis - Textures, Shaders, Obj Detail, Effects and Water to high everything else medium 30-40fps might hit 25 under load

Arma - Everything on normal, 2Km view dist, runs like a car with a banana in the exhaust. Looking at the wrong bush in the desert or proning in the wrong patch of grass can cause a drop to 15ps, night vision will glitch and turn off if you look in the wrong direction. The game also doesn't even look that good at these settings.

Upvote 0
Soviet is right, ArmA is a multiplayer game. If you treat it like a singleplayer game expecting a good campaign like OFP's, you will be disappointed. But even though ArmA has great co-op, I'm not surprised at all the people being disappointed in the game, because Bohemia simply delivered an unfinished product. It runs bad on even the fastest computers and it suffers from TERRIBLE lag. They've never fixed this, and I think it's unacceptable that they started working on ArmA2 without finishing the first part first.

Still, I recommend those people to try co-op on an Evolution server with a bunch of players on TS / Vent.

Wrong. :D I'd say it's the other way around. Bohemia Interactive have the right idea and design philosophy (= big online realistic battles on a huge map), but they suck at optimizing their game. They proved this with ArmA. You might say that they'll fix this in ArmA2, but I doubt it. ArmA2 looks exactly like the first part, just watch the screenshots and videos. My guess it will run just as **** as ArmA.

Yes, they may be the original creators of OFP, but if the game runs bad, it ruins the game for even the biggest fans.

Operation Flashpoint 2 on the other hand, is being developed by Codemasters. I'm thinking (hoping) that these guys pay more attention to optimizing their game, and not make the multiplay as laggy as ArmA's. It will run on the same engine that Colin McRae Dirt uses, and it's capable of rendering good looking foliage. Which is very important for a game like that. Dirt runs well on my PC, so my hopes for OFP2 are higher than for ArmA2. Of course we'll have to see if that engine is capable of rendering a map as big as Sarahni.

Judging that interview with Codemasters in PC Gamer, it seems they have the right design philosophy as well. In other words:
  • BIs have the right idea, but the poor technology (they better get their **** together).
  • Codemasters have the right idea, and good technology as well (hopefully).
I'd say they're pretty much neck to neck. It'll be fierce competition, methinks.

They might talk the talk, but are they gonna walk the walk?:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You must have 5 virus checkers running or something. On similar hardware I get 40+ with all settings cranked and view distance at 10km.

Including Bioshock in that list is laughable. A 10m view distance is a hell of a lot easier to pull off than 10km.
The point in including other games in that list was to show comparitively how my system handles contemporary games with new engines and thus that it is not 'broken' at the system level.

The fact that you say you have similar hardware and get such performance just shows how hit and miss ArmA can be on various systems which is a classic symptom of ****house optimization.

Upvote 0