• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

is arma good? and where is the new forgotten hope?

ArmA has more then enough players. Unfortunately, many of them waste their time in ****ty custom maps playing deathmatch or team deathmatch :(

hmmm, so Arma also suffers from it's own danzig syndrome - thou to be fair maybe we should be thankfull danzig isn't actually a terrible map and it doesn't feature deathmatch.

Arma is also on my list i have of possible buys- though i might not get it yet if I re-install OFP with phaps some of the mods, especially as my setup is a 3200 XP with 6800gt and a couple gig ram.(which will run it quite poorly i imagine?)

Putting nostalgia and visuals aside- how do they compare? Is the arma addon needed (regards majority of online players) 'cos the gold edition with it included is quite reasonable.
6th sense who run excellent vietcong co-op servers also do Arma, so is there a co-op mode and is it any good?

I was also thinking of getting Stalker- if it's MP is decent and populated I may put off Arma a bit longer. I know they are different- i just fancy a new-ish shooter with RL weapons.

Upvote 0
ArmA is only really fun when you play it with one or more guys on TS / Vent, imo. I've played pub by myself a few times but didn't like it at all. But when you use voice with a bunch of like-minded people, you're in for a great experience. So if you're interested in buying it, make sure you find a nice group to play it with (forums, clan, whatever). And if you're serious about ArmA multiplayer, then co-op is pretty much the only choice there is... but ArmA is at its best when played in co-op, so don't worry about that.

And to the guy above me, STALKER is a must-play. I doubt its multiplay is good, but STALKER is a singleplayer game anyway. That game is all about atmosphere and the experience of walking around in the Chernobyl area.

Upvote 0
ArmA is only really fun when you play it with one or more guys on TS / Vent, imo. I've played pub by myself a few times but didn't like it at all. But when you use voice with a bunch of like-minded people, you're in for a great experience. So if you're interested in buying it, make sure you find a nice group to play it with (forums, clan, whatever). And if you're serious about ArmA multiplayer, then co-op is pretty much the only choice there is... but ArmA is at its best when played in co-op, so don't worry about that.

Cool- if 6th sense Arma servers are anything like Vietcong co-op, they will be well worth joining.
It's the most co-ordinated, organised feeling of being in a military unit ive ever played online.
I would recommend Arma players check them out, they probably run public servers with admins to try out before you join to access the passworded servers, as they do with 'cong.
Does Arma not have it's own native VOIP?

And to the guy above me, STALKER is a must-play. I doubt its multiplay is good, but STALKER is a singleplayer game anyway. That game is all about atmosphere and the experience of walking around in the Chernobyl area.

Yeah I'm drawn to STALKER, pc performance permitting, but not primarily for online. i was just thinking if the multi was ok, it would stave off the need for another shooter for a bit (ie. Arma)
For about 20 euro you can get a version with extra maps, a guide, and judging by the sign on the tin, a healthy dose of genuine Chernobyl Radiation.
Now that's what i call immersion.

Upvote 0
Dogbadger, I'm not trying to be nasty, but ArmA will hurt your PC in a very, very bad way. Trust me I've played the game on a 6800GT machine with a slightly better CPU than yours, it was basically unplayable even at 'looks like arse' settings. The listed minimum specs for it are an absolute lie.

Add to this that it is far and away a worse game than OFP contextually, story and fun wise and it's easy for me to say stay away from it mate. It is honestly so ****ed up that you can't even get the AI to do simple things that they could do easily in OFP, which means making good missions is basically impossible. I am sorry I bought it, the only thing about it that is better than OFP is the online functionality (but even then as was said most servers are bull**** DM or TDM).

STALKER will run decent on your machine and is an enjoyable game overall, I'd advise you to get that.

Upvote 0
Usually I say: Let the people decide what's fun to them. But I find it both funny and extremely annoying how tactical multiplayer shooters get completely ruined by their communities (ArmA, GRAW2...).

Care to explain? I think GRAW2 community is OK for such a small group, anyway. ArmA.... dl-ed the demo, tried it, shook my head in disbelief and went on with my life, so I can't comment on ArmA community.

Upvote 0
Dogbadger, I'm not trying to be nasty, but ArmA will hurt your PC in a very, very bad way. Trust me I've played the game on a 6800GT machine with a slightly better CPU than yours, it was basically unplayable even at 'looks like arse' settings. The listed minimum specs for it are an absolute lie.

Add to this that it is far and away a worse game than OFP contextually, story and fun wise and it's easy for me to say stay away from it mate. It is honestly so ****ed up that you can't even get the AI to do simple things that they could do easily in OFP, which means making good missions is basically impossible. I am sorry I bought it, the only thing about it that is better than OFP is the online functionality (but even then as was said most servers are bull**** DM or TDM).

I was gonna write something about ArmA, but looks like you already said what I had to say so, I'll just QFT

ArmA could have been a great game, and has a good concept, basically the same as Operation Flashpoint, but its so buggy and the performance is so crappy, that you can call the game itself a bug, mouse-lag FTW!

Upvote 0

Yeah, STALKER is worth it for the single player, especially with a good mod (try the Redux mod).

But the multiplay is kind of crap. The main problem being that in multiplay, for some reason, all the players have glowing phospheresent arm bands of thier team color. This makes it very hard to acually hide. Combine that with relatively small map sizes, and lack (to my knowledge) of any objectives, most of the game is people running around spraying.

Don't let that detract from the great single player though. The AI on the bloodsuckers can be scary.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to support ArmA with all of my heart, and it really can be cool at times, but it certainly doesn't give you a huge bang/buck ratio. What I'm really concerned about is that ArmA has proven so disappointing to the OFP community that they aren't really geeked about making the mods for it like they did for OFP, so the surprisingly strong and long life of OFP is unlikely to be repeated for ArmA.

That being said, the recent Evolution Red map with the nuclear bombs is pretty fun to play, and the "defend the town from Alien spaceship invasion" looks to be silly fun.

Upvote 0