• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A farewell from 2MANNY's community

I think the problem with the 50 player patch wasn't so much with TWI's end of it (although it's debatable about the whole SMG/Semi/boltie ratio issue), but rather that too many servers just threw up any old maps without bothering to really tailor gameplay to suit 50 player servers. Or to the extent they did, they tailored it to suit someone else's idea of how a 50 player map ought to play.

Me, I think the maps like Berezina, Leningrad, Zhitomer, etc. were great on 50 player servers. Krasnyi Oktyabr, Danzig, and to a lesser extent, Stalingrad Kessel, were not so great because they were never designed for 50 players and became too cramped. Some people enjoy that style of gaming. I'm not one of them.

I tend to think that RO doesn't really do that version of gaming all that well, or at least not as well as other more out-and-out run'n'gun games like COD, DOD, BF2, etc. Certainly I think RO isn't playing to it's strengths in situations like that, and isn't acheiving its full potential. The game can do a LOT more than just be yet another run'n'gun only -- wow! -- without crosshairs. Yeah, it can do that style of gameplay, but it can't do it as well as, say, a BF1942. Likewise, BF1942 can sort of be tweaked to be more "realistic" (IE: Forgotten Hope), but it can only go so far. RO goes WAY further, but much of that effort is lost when you have 50 players on a tightly-packed infantry map with lots of SMGs. That said, even if it hadn't been SMGs, it would've been something else -- nade spam, hip shooting, etc. Put simply, there's no way the smaller maps can be made to work with 50 players, although they can be MORE tolerable than they are with fewer rapid-fire weapons.

Anyway, some of this is due to changes in the game, some of it is due to competition from other games, and some of it is due to people just flat-out burning out even if they don't mind the game changes and can't find anything else they'd rather play. Some days I look at the games on my computer and just can't bear to play ANY of 'em because I'm just TIRED of 'em. That's usually when I fire up DOSBOX and play something I haven't played since I was 12. :)

My point is that some of this is just the lifecycle of any onling FPS (or any game, really). An end comes eventually. You can stave it off with mods, new content, etc., but the end DOES come eventually. My only sadness here is that I think RO COULD have squeezed more life out of itself but was in some ways doomed to its ultimate fate by circumstances beyond TWI's control.

Upvote 0
2Manny's is not gone yet, guys. Yes, it's still dead, but the server is going to be around for at least another month and possibly longer. If RO can ride out the tide of the new games, players may come back when they find that RO provides a style of gameplay that none of the others offer. So, there are some loyal 2Manny folks who are going to keep the server up and hopefully those who thought they would miss it will come back to play there.

Upvote 0
I believe that story could be repeated many times over, and hence, the results we see today.

Yep, I'll ditto that. RO might be able to stick around if the gameplay that makes it unique was showcasted more often than not. Combined arms, big maps etc.

But with so many 50p zergfest danzig 24/7 servers that basically show RO as nothing more than Dod, CS, UT etc but without crosshairs, it not that big a suprise people choose other games with the latest graphics and such.

Anyway, thanks Manny for the good times I had when I started up RO. Wish I had found the game earlier.

Upvote 0
Sad to say but RO has spoiled me and most other games iritate me because they aren't as realistic and too gamey

Same here. I still play games like DoD periodically and do well, but they annoy me because I always feel like that "chest shot from a large caliber weapon should have killed that guy". Then again, the only real reason I still play DoD even as sporadically as I do is because my video card died...and now I am unable to play.

I also got my start on 2Manny's, and I always had a great time. Tried the whole 24/7 Danzig thing...wasnt working too well.

Truly the best part of the game is its gameplay when maps are at the right player load. But hey, the game aint dead yet! Im hoping (wishfully) that a lot of players are just laying in wait for all the upcoming mods.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, new discovery for me, but I found lots of EU servers maxed out with a variety of maps, but at EU prime? gaming time 4-6PM EST. Teamwork is a little hard as my German is rusty *cough*, but looks like I have something at least.

The three NA servers (going by ping)... Danzig, danzig and Arad mod. I know EU has the harder core sim games (city builders, strategy games, RPGs, nothing made by EA for example etc.) and so I guess gamers also, but thought the type of people getting RO would have removed that aspect. Or is it that us North Americians just go for the simple quick fix :(. Ah well, the pings aren't too bad, I can live with anything under 200 I guess.

T.

Upvote 0
In terms of WW2 FPS RO will continue to dominate and content wise few games actually offer as much as RO does. The problem is that most of the content is hidden away under the same maps being played over and over. There are dozens of maps which I enjoy but they are rarities (the winter airport map- god whats its name??) See what I mean I dont even remember its name. Know what I am certain that there are official maps out there that Ive probably never seen or played.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid ROOST is dying as a whole. I haven't played but for about a total of an hour over the past 5 months. Anyone up to hosting the mod and going back to that? Sometimes a retrogression is neccesary before progression...

Farewell, RO and 2MANNY, I'm retired, b!tches!

That's too bad to hear, Capt.

There's a whole lot of new content coming out very, very soon. Most of it "old school RO" community requested. Maps, weapons, vehicles, not to mention the mods.

But you're right, ulitmately it comes down to the quality of the game-play/teamplay and quantity of active players. And those crucial areas have been suffering for quite awhile now...

Peace out...and best of luck to you, wherever you may roam.:)

Upvote 0
That's too bad to hear, Capt.

There's a whole lot of new content coming out very, very soon. Most of it "old school RO" community requested. Maps, weapons, vehicles, not to mention the mods.

But you're right, ulitmately it comes down to the quality of the game-play/teamplay and quantity of active players. And those crucial areas have been suffering for quite awhile now...

Peace out...and best of luck to you, wherever you may roam.:)

Yes, when the mods come out, thats a whole other story. I need some change from about 1 3/4 year of the same-old same-old...

Upvote 0