• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Preview] TractorWorks_Final

Slyk

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2006
www.after-hourz.com
I have finally had time to get around to making the changes I have wanted with this level. Using great resource photos from Russ at www.fireonthevolga.com, I have altered several of the main buildings to closer match their actual foot prints. I have again had to take some liberties in filling in content. You will notice some major changes like connection of the gate to the admin building, the AT gun remains, now moved inside the blasted hole near it's original position. The northwest apartments now has an annex to the east with three flights of stairs, the top with open windows overlooking the West Commons objective area. There are now additional hallways and stairs connecting this annex to the remainder of the building.

I have also done some texture replacments. The biggest difference is in the gate, now with a three story addition on it's north wing, accessible for sniping and MGs. The other major change is the height of the admin itself...now four stories. Only two remain in play.

I am still working on minor tweaks and adding more details to the entire level. It is a bit more efficient due to taller anti-portals. I have not and do not intend to alter spawns, vehicle counts etc. This will be the final major release for this scenario. New images below.

High angle view of the remade gate and admin:
twFinal_5.jpg

Looking toward the gate/admin:
twFinal_4.jpg

Low angle view across the monument area:

twFinal_9.jpg

Beginning camera position:
twFinal_11.jpg

Looking across the West Commons, note the annex of the Northwest Apartments:
twFinal_3.jpg

Closer view across the monument area and a look at the three floors of the Gate's north wing.
twFinal_1.jpg

Looking across the annex stairs and out onto the West Commons:
twFinal_2.jpg

View from over the Apartments looking east at the Administration building:
twFinal_10.jpg

Looking north toward the Monument Square:
twFinal_6.jpg

Frame rates, my friend, frame rates. I don't want to handicap the map anymore if I can help it, at least from the west side looking east. I managed to pull the performance up a few percent and want to keep it there. I have several ideas but the damage to the admin building was not that extensive on the facade. The interior was gutted and I believe the roof was collapsed over most of the building but the exterior walls were in decent shape. I don't want to repost the images Russ sent. I will dig through the old TW threads and see if I can find them first. Off to work atm.

Upvote 0
Thanks, guys. I personally think it is the single most demanding team-play design going and more often than not I end up screaming at the computer and my team (off-line) before it's over and the dogs have all taken cover in another room. Two things work against the popularity of the map: teamwork and versions. Difficult map for both teams but mostly the Germans and multiple betas. Maybe it was timing also but it just never seemed to catch on. I think it is a love/hate map.

Upvote 0
Coming out in time for Christmas. Five maps, two are new, three updates plus the big vehicle package.

TW killed servers because it demands too much thought and teamwork for the average gaming slob. Pretty much straight, harsh reality. This version is no different. I just think most people couldn't get a grip on the scenario or were too bored with it because the German team really needs to work together. I think it is one of the most demanding "team" levels out there and if you want a good challenge, take up the German side.

Upvote 0
TW killed servers because it demands too much thought and teamwork for the average gaming slob. Pretty much straight, harsh reality. This version is no different. I just think most people couldn't get a grip on the scenario or were too bored with it because the German team really needs to work together. I think it is one of the most demanding "team" levels out there and if you want a good challenge, take up the German side.
Well I hope once the final version is released it be back up on the TWB servers, it's definitely up there with my top favourite maps.

Looking forward to the new maps as well!

Upvote 0
5 new Maps, amazing mate :D

Klin, Tractor Works, Elnya i suppose, but there are still 2 missing, maybe berezina but whats the other new map?

On Tractor Works you need really good teamplay, but the hanomags are allway empty ( one two or three guys), half of the team camp somewhere or attack the right building instead of maingate and the tankers arent able to destroy the t34

Upvote 0
I think it is one of the most demanding "team" levels out there and if you want a good challenge, take up the German side.

Agrred! I love the challenge, especialy as a tanker in Tractor.
Tractor, in a way, is the flip side of Kriegstadt. When the attacking side breaks down into chaos & stalls... you may as well walk into a meat grinder.

I think the new map was "road block"?

Upvote 0
New maps are summarized somewhere, I think the new vehicle teaser thread but here is another recap:

Berezina_1.1: changed the stock PzIV-F to the "smoke" version, no AP rounds, only smoke and HE and has a distinctive thick white ring on the barrel end. (DO NOT argue historical accuracy on this one or I'll kick you a$$ myself as the ring was added so that mappers could mix the tanks in a level and players could visually tell them apart).

TractorWorks: Major architectural work, note the images above. It will really channel the T34 into either far flank. The StuG must concentrate on fighting the T34 and the PzIV must support the infantry...I am thinking of swapping PzIV models as in Berezina...undecided. If so, SL will loose his smoke.

Elnya: Finally releasing _beta2. Features the StuG-IIIB, smoke and HE only. Also features most of our new vehicles including the KV-1B, Zis-5 truck, Zis-3 76mm AT gun, and M1937 AT gun along with the BT7. Fixed a spawn bug; added ambient sounds; a bit more cover; improved the bots a bit.

Klin: Winter map, part three to Berezina and Elnya. There's a preview thread around here. Features the winter versions of the StuG-IIIB, BT7, KV-1B and has the Zis truck, M1937 and a small surprise known to only three living souls.....if we can get it done.

Roadblock: June 24, 1941 map featuring the KV-2 as an immobilized pillbox. Short map time, 15 to 20 minutes with the objective of destroying the tank. I have some challenges to work out with the tank and objective syncing up and we are trying to get it to work without having to "code" in the function. They work but only if the first satchel takes out the tank and sometimes it takes seven satchels. :) Small difference!

But thanks for the interest. I like TW the most of all the stuff I've done for RO. It's very frustrating, for sure, but when you do win that one, you really feel that you earned it. And if nothing more, you should gain an appreciation for how hard it could be to accomplish such a feat. Never understood how it didn't take off with Clams though. Go figure.

Upvote 0