• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wanted M1 Garand- Live Firing!

Aeneas2020

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2006
Hey guys,
I'm looking to add to my live firing ww2 rifle collection. I really want an M1 garand. I am willing to settle for a later build than ww2 or possibly even a modern replica so long as it doesn't look horrendous. Basically though it will be getting used so has to be live firing (i.e. not blanks, decac or airsoft). I can't seem to find nething that seems legit online and my local gun stores only seem to stock dubious M1's. An example of which would be one where the stock and firing mechanism has clearly been replaced the only original thing seems to be the barrel that because of new parts is a completely different color to the rest of the rifle (most annoying!). Any help is much appreciated.

I've heard the new manufacture Springfield Armoury M1's have problems with manufacturing quality.

Have you looked into the Civillian Marksmanship Program??? It may be a wait but there's a place where you can get a Garand for certain.

EDIT: I see someone put a link there, personally if I were you I'd put down $950 on a 'correct grade' rifle long before I'd buy a reproduction. From what I've gleaned talking to collectors the CMP folks don't mess around, you'll get exactly what you pay for and on the rare chance there is a problem it will be corrected with good speed. It comes down to personal preference of course, but me personally would much rather an original rifle from the day, warts and all, over a shiny new repro.

Good luck though the Garand is a great rifle and I hope you get a good one, hell if they were legal in Australia I'd have one (and a few FAL's) :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks dog, yeh i'd love to get a real one, will go nicely with my No.4 and my webley. Back home in the UK me and my dad collected (due to the tight fire arms controls) old black powder fire arms, pistols and several interesting peices dating back to very early cavalry carbines. So i'm excited i can finally start building an interesting collection over here.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,
An example of which would be one where the stock and firing mechanism has clearly been replaced the only original thing seems to be the barrel that because of new parts is a completely different color to the rest of the rifle (most annoying!). Any help is much appreciated.

Sporterizing :(

M1's aren't rare by any means. And compared to many other semi-auto rifles they're not particularly expensive.

BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG-PING!

Upvote 0
Next time you see an add for a local gun show, go to it! Even if you have to drive a ways, be worth it imo, always lots of rifles to choose from, both collectors and individuals. That is where I got my M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine and my Model 1911 .45. The first two were very inexpensive, shoot real well and all though the stocks were rough, otherwise nice weapons. Please don't ask about the .45, paid through the nose!

Upvote 0
This is definetly a "gray" area but as far as I know, unless something has changed, not unless it is 100% original (or at the very least the reciver is original), and nothing has been changed or "sporterized" which are very hard to come by today and very, very much more expensive if you can find one. Some dealers go buy the 50 year old rule and some go by two or three of the ATF reg (50, original, musem certified, or on the ATF's list) to classify it as such. So more than likely No to a relic or curio FFL for a M1 you will get normally today. Find one at a local gun show and they won't even ask any questions, original or not! This site mite help you out:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/2001index.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0