• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Forcing TeamPlay

defenders get even more bonus

Looking at Leningrad where its easy enough for the russians to seal off the AT position for some time, i think that a 5 minute waiting penalty makes it even more tireing.

But, ne ways....i whould give it a shot.

The defenders can be broken by playing tactically and our play testing of Leningrad has proven its balance. ...

When attacking the AT position, we usually send the tanks forward first while infantry ready for a charge across the street from a covered position near the first intersection. We destroy the enemy tank and then fire HE rounds and MG fire into the windows of the AT position until their defense has been weakened sufficiently. Then the Infantry attack under cover of smoke and infiltrate thru the 2nd floor while the tankers continue to HE the floors which aren't being cleared out by friendly soldiers. It's a concerted attack where the tankers and infantrymen are working very closely together and that kind of team-play doesn't come as naturally with the standard loadouts.

Upvote 0
worluk said:
In the end imo it serves the purpose to make the defender even more stronger than they are now already.

I agree.

Especially if you have skilled individuals on the defensive side, what you'll end up with is some serious spawn campage. On top of that.. I think a single skilled 'rambo' type attacker/defender would do better under these extended spawn circumstances. Simply because everybody is too scared to die that they play overly careful - which gives the confident player an advantage once contact has been established.

Upvote 0
Jeez, let them try it. It's not like they are suggesting an implementation into core gameplay, it's but one server. Besides, all balance and behavioural effects are but pure SPECULATION now. I'd rather try and see it fail than never try in the first place.

For me personally this could give me a new incentive like the 50 player increase did back a few months ago. IF the balance gets screwed up big time like some here fear, I'm pretty sure they can be compensated for by adjusting the map values (respawn amount and time) and maybe even altering layout (additional spawn protection, more attack routes etc.). I'm sure there will be some mappers that would lend a helping hand.

Upvote 0
Jeez, let them try it. It's not like they are suggesting an implementation into core gameplay, it's but one server. Besides, all balance and behavioural effects are but pure SPECULATION now. I'd rather try and see it fail than never try in the first place.

For me personally this could give me a new incentive like the 50 player increase did back a few months ago. IF the balance gets screwed up big time like some here fear, I'm pretty sure they can be compensated for by adjusting the map values (respawn amount and time) and maybe even altering layout (additional spawn protection, more attack routes etc.). I'm sure there will be some mappers that would lend a helping hand.

Jeez, let them show up possible pitfalls. Its not like someone is threatened to not do it...

btw. seeing several similar modifications, having them played with my clan and without, having seen tactics evolve in this game for over 4 years now, i dont really think this is speculation.

Upvote 0
With 5 mins what will happen is people will camp for 3-4 mins, then launch an attack shortly before the respawn. So everyone would just be sitting around waiting, attacking once, then waiting 3-4 mins again...so shorten the timer a lot imo. Maybe 2.5 mins for defenders, 2 for attackers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We've got 4 large clans (25+ members) and several smaller ones. The campaign is going on fine and still attracting new teams. Stop trying to derail this discussion to plug your niche campaign. It's not of interest to most of the people in this forum because that group excludes clans from participating and only allows "realism units". Whereas ORC is geared more towards the intensity of gameplay rather then focusing on the historical role-playing you're up in arms over. If you want to continue ... make your own thread.

Now back on topic. We're scheduling test matches against 3 clans who've PMed me in the last day. If your clan is interested in trying out a match or just you personally, give me word and we'll set something up. It's not for everybody but from my experience most clans who've tried it enjoy the tactical gameplay.

Upvote 0
Hey Koba ltns, great to see 3SA still livin it large:)

The concept of realism gameplay by the outline you've mentioned sounds feasible and intense.

It's not ever going to be for the majority though, anyone with a background in Tac Real will embrace it I think.

RO is where the realism community be they historical or tactical should fuse together.

Well done on what you've put together with your idea.

Other current games are siphoning players away, but I do feel the hardcore realism player will stay with RO......even more so with the advancement of concepts such as you've mentioned.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a great concept and similar to something that was kicked around somewhere here in the forums a while back. The respawn delay is problematic for me. Not so much for the waiting around time, but for the penalty to your team and the fact that it might lend itself to "abuse" and Mr. Rambo steps in and kills the ambiance.
(I did not carefully read each post, so if its been discussed my apologies).

Is it possible to simply severely limit the number of lives a player has (or reinforcements a team may have), rather than also increasing the spawn time?

Depending upon which of the above was being used (player life limit or reinforcement limits), wouldn't a player's life become much more valuable? Example: you know you have three lives, your team has sent a squad to attempt to flank the enemy and twice that has failed....now you have one life left....time to change tactics? Particularly if one of the classes that has been squandered is of utmost importance. (hmmm, thinking outloud.... limit the lives of the classes...MG's get 2 lives, riflemen 4 lives...etc.)

Because lives are severely limited, a player respawning will take great care of his remaining lives. Unless he's needed immediatly for support, he may well wait for someone else to respawn or position himself in a "staging" area.

Just tossing out some food for thought.

I think its a great idea that should not be limited to a campaign/ladder play only. Being the only RO playing member of a group of guys that play socially, I'd like to play but don't have the desire to join yet another "clan" to contribute :cool:. In the right setting, it would work well for the public, too (imo).

Floyd

Upvote 0
Koba maybe you could orgainise a night and time where this gamemode will be running on your server so us interested few who arent in a clan can pop in try it out with like minded individuals? It could be a good way to see if it works in a public play setting, if not maybe some other server could run it on a trial basis there's plenty of unused servers out there?

Upvote 0
Well the 8th has members who are all veterans of such clan tournaments and we will never go back, we love the realism play style and if it wasn't for that we all would've quit RO a long time ago.

Grenade spam, hiding in glitch spots and so forth is all behaviour we've tried to negate at ORC. Tactics that are used are oftem more realistic and squad based, as opposed to the 'lovely' tactics like "you camp here inbetween these boxes" tactics, so one thing is for for we'll stick with this type of tournament. I feel that people who try it and take the time to adjust the way they play and their tactics will also love this kind of tournament. One note, it isn't for the win at all costs crowd...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I find it amusing to see people discarding the ideas behind Ostfront Campaign (formerly Eastern Front Operations) as though they were inherently ludicrous.

Tactical Realism clans have already been using this gameplay type for over a year and with great success/enjoyment. It's not like this is a new idea that has yet to be tested. Multiple campaigns have already been completed in this format, and it does work as theorized. At one point no respawns were allowed at all, which was actually quite a thrill, although it posed dilemmas for certain larger/longer maps.

But of course if patience is not your strongest virtue, then feel free to avoid the gametype. But that's more of a personal issue. It certainly doesn't remove the enjoyment for those who prefer more pacing and suspense in their gameplay.

I agree. Somehting along these lines should be made available to the public. I just don't have the time for a clan.

Kraut, not all clans have demands on your schedule. The Third Shock Army is very flexible with its members. If you join you can just hop on our TS whenever you go to play on public servers (there's sure to be someone on to play with), and then sign up for whichever of our matches fits into your schedule. We're certainly not going to remove you from the clan just because you're having a busy time of it in the real word. It's all a casual, respectful, friendly atmosphere.

Upvote 0
I sent him a PM and knowing Ritter he probably hasn't read the rules but will change his sig once he gets back online.

We fought against his clan on Leningrad ORC and lost it 2-1. That was a thrilling match. If some of the forum readers would like to try the play style on an individual basis, we can arrange for you to be an extra on one of the teams, during a scheduled match. As for having a public ORC night on the server, I'm planing on doing that. We just need to make a larger breadth of edited maps first so we don't end up playing the same few levels in rotation. I'll also open up teamspeak to pubers and password the server for forum members since this style of gaming doesn't lend it's self well to random pubs who refuse to follow the general game plan. So when we do public nights, it will be more like Iron Crescendo (where they pw the server and work as a team in teamspeak) then pubing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0