• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red orchestra in the future...

Slyk,

I think the big issue isn't so much that the gamers are dumb as much as they are....I dunno...lulled for lack of a better word. They don't perceive that they have any power to affect the industry as a whole and aren't even sure of what they WANT. They just know what they DON'T want.

RO isn't for everyone, and games like the BF series are a lot more accessible to a wider audience. That's just the nature of the beast. RTS games like Dawn of War and Warcraft are more accessible to players than a turn-based game like World at War or the old Battleground series. No big deal. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

But someone here (I forget who) made a good point -- a lot of people don't even know there ARE options and alternatives. That's why the public, I think, will continue to buy flashy-but-empty games. They don't know they have a choice, they don't know their choices determine what gets made, and thus the gaming companies have no incentive to change what games they produce.

It's only after a VERY gradual shift that things change, OR when something comes completely out of left field and revolutionizes the industry. You see this periodically in the entertainment industry as a whole.

Scenario 1 (the Slow Evolution Version): [Content Creator/Distributor] puts out a successful, but generally same-as-it-ever-was product. The public approves, buys it in mass quantities, and [Content Creator/Distributor] makes several sequels. Meanwhile other similar creators make "me too" versions of the same thing, and the industry slowly orients itself around this approach, only slightly changing things here or there, while generally retaining the same core approach to the product. Things only change very gradually with this model because, while the public may grow dissatisfied, the content providers will tweak the product just enough to keep the basic model still saleable. It's only after a LONG time that the original model bears only a slight resemblance to the current model, and that's only because they've had to change it over such a long period of time.

Scenario 2 (The Radical Mutation Version): The usual process of Scenario 1 is cooking along nicely. Out of f-ing nowhere, it's David Hasselhoff -- er -- a new model entirely!!! Examples: The Beatles, Hendrix, Nirvana, Doom, BF1942, etc. This is where there may be gradual change and slow development, but someone comes along and REALLY shakes things up. Usually in an unexpected way. In the gaming industry, consider what happened with Doom. Prior to Doom's release, FPS shooters were virtually nonexistent (Yes, there was Wolfenstein 3D and some clones). Mostly you had platform side-scrollers in the old Nintendo way. Then along comes Doom with not only a fresh technological approach, but also a radical departure in terms of setting, content, etc. Doom was ultra-violent (for its time), presented the player with a COMPLETELY different experience visually than what they were used to, and resulted in TONS of knockoffs. This knockoff trend continued, and evolved (IE: Quake as the logical evolution into 3D, but still basically the same as Doom), until BF1942 came out. There'd been class-based games before, but none on this scale, and none with vehicles, large maps, capturing territory, etc. Then came the BF1942 clones.

Right now, I think we're firmly entrenched in Scenario 1. The gaming industry is pretty much static, only slightly tweaking its models here and there to make the game palatable. Look! Unlocks! And flashy graphics! And stats! But still basically the same old same old when it comes to gameplay. RO, I think, is not QUITE a radical departure, but it's close. It's realistic, certainly, but it still retains a lot of the BF style. It's because of this that RO is destined, I think, to remain a niche game. That's fine and dandy, and you can build a successful business model on appealing to an otherwise untapped niche, but you have to identify that niche and cater to it. To the extent you bring in new players not of the niche (or who didn't know they were part of it), that's great, but you have to do so in ways that maintains the core audience's expectations. For the most part, I think RO has done this, although some changes have been less successful than others (or less successfully implemented, even if the underlying idea behind the change worked fine).

Right now, I think gamers are sort of stuck. They're waiting for Scenario 2 to happen. While they're waiting, they're buying games designed within the Scenario 1 context. And while some are happy, I think there's a growing number that aren't.

My message to those who aren't happy: Be a more discerning consumer. You CAN spur the industry to faster change or to be more willing to take a risk with a new approach. You do this by simply NOT buying any game except those that meet EVERYTHING on your list of criteria. Try out the single player demos BEFORE you buy. Read the reivews from the gaming mags AND the reviews by other players. Wait a month or two (better two, in my opinion) AFTER a game is released before buying, so you can see if it's developing any kind of community. ETQW was decent enough in the demo, but I figured I'd wait to see what happened with the final release and the online community before buying. I'm glad I did. My misgivings in the demo weren't corrected in the full game, and the online community never really materialized.

If gamers do that sort of thing more often, the industry will change. Major earth-shattering changes like Scenario 2 are due to a combination of factors, especially luck and timing. The timing of things has to occur right when the Scenario 1 thing is at a low point and sales are down in general, but the luck aspect has to come into play as well -- someone's crazy-a$$ idea has to really take off in a big way instead of falling flat on its face. Well, that and they have to have found someone equally crazy to bankroll the deal.

Time will tell what will happen in the industry as a whole. Personally, I think we're deeply entrenched in Scenario 1, and Scenario 2 has been waiting to happen for a long time. No sign of anything on the horizon yet, though. Time will tell. Until that point, it's up to the market to try and drive innovation by simply refusing to buy the usual crap.

Upvote 0
It's the American way. How the hell are we paying $3.00+ for gasoline? Being dragged down by political b.s. day after day, and and doing anything about it? I could go on but I'm cranky enough already.....

oh please do! it was just getting into an unbalanced rant, *cough*, I mean, um, good. :D

to answer your question I'd say, um, the free market, high energy taxes (state and federal), supply and demand, and uncertain production levels due to environmental whackos here at home and islamic whackos abroad.

as far as the topic re RO, we agree for sure, but you completely overstate your case, probably by a factor of 5. You know, some pharmacies will give you a few pills to hold you over until you can get to the doctor next week. :eek:

wOOt!!

Upvote 0
I think when they should make a new Red Orchestra it should be on the Unreal engine3,they should have made a good amount of money from Ostfront by now,but does anyone knows how much the unreal engine 3 actually costs?

Pricing for unreal 3 has not been anounced, but unreal 2 is listed. here

Of course, if your not aware TWI have already been awarded use of the unreal 3 engine, as a prize for the orgional mod version of this game.
Whether or not they use it to make 'RO2' remains to be seen.

Upvote 0
I wrote a post for this thread the other night right after registering.
But it failed to actually post.

I had RO downloading from Steam as I was composing it.

I'd only just heard of RO unfortunately, as the realism of human playing style is key for me.

Even though Gamespot scanned my laptop to see if I could play the game and it gave me a Pass, I most definately cannot play the game.

The web site is generally shoddy.

If you want more people to play you need to sort out this web site.

BTW I consider including a western european field of op's to be mandatory if you want to attract a larger audience.
Personally I'm not too bothered about large scale tank battles - it's infantry combat all the way. Concentrate your efforts on that.

I hope I will be able to get involved properly with RO at some point in the future.

Good luck to you all. Everyone involved in this project of WW2 realism. I just get more and more into WW2 as I get older...

Upvote 0
Maybe Ro is dying ,I did some research on my clan and here is what I came up with....

We started the clan 7 months ago.

i think we started with around 12 guys.We have had a total of 42 members (Past and present added together)
Of the original 12 or so founding members,we lost almost half.(Some turned in their tags,some just don't show up anymore)

From the beginning until now,7 members have turned in their tags.another 7 or so have just quit showing up,(but are still listed as members ,even though they haven't played in months.)

14 or so members play,but not very often(I think these players are playing other games,and it is likely that some of them will fad away and never return.)

that leaves 14 or so active members that play on a regular basis,some more than others.

out of the 14 or so active players,you will only find about half of them playing RO at the same time.

we have 2 guys awaiting their membership at this time.

It looks as though things are starting to slow down for RO.
When we started 50pc. 7 months ago,it was a fun and exciting time ,but I think it climaxed in the 4th or 5th month and now things are slowly declining for various reasons.

Are any of the other clans having these same issues???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Totally disagree!

Most mature gamers want to try something different. Especially ww2 buffs!

We want to get our hands on weapons we've never seen or even heard of before because of behemoth developers (EA :rolleyes:) jumping on the 'America won the war' bandwagon!!!

The Mare Nostrum guys are even getting the South Africans involved! Again never seen in a ww2 game. This also educates gamers at the same time, of all the nations involved in the conflict!!!

Not just bleedin Yanks, Brits & Germans battling it out!!

South Africa has been done in games before

A game has its time, after that time its up to the devs or the hardcore community to keep it alive. Take a look at [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Wolfenstein Enemy Territory thats still going with loads of hardcore players. For a gamestyle like RO its even harder to keep it alive as it has a smaller player base then say cod2 which kids play.

Most games set these days in the Western front are arcade based games for example MoH AB thats very arcadey and that is also why people are getting sick of that setting. DH on the other hand has a setting of Band of Brothers (which everybody loves) and has the gamestyle of RO put them both together and you will get the closets you will ever be to the Western Front.

Games like cod2 said they where real and had true settings, if you play DH and then go back to cod2 maps you will see how they are completely wrong so wrong the devs should have all got shot, but look at real photos of the Western Front settings then look at the DH maps and objects (such as tanks) and you will see how photo realistic it rly is.

As i am a dev and see the inside of the mod i can tell you we have passed what any REAL DEVELOPMENT TEAM has done so far for the Western Front and have passed even RO in realism and quality.

I am not saying this all just because i am in the dev team i am being honest here this is a truly impressive mod compared to RO. I cant speak for the other mods but i hope they finish and have a brill time as i like their settings too
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
As i am a dev and see the inside of the mod i can tell you we have passed what any REAL DEVELOPMENT TEAM has done so far for the Western Front and have passed even RO in realism and quality.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

hm, you might want to consider stuff like that. As a dev one is usually excited about the stuff one does. This doesnt neccassarily mean its an objective view of things. Statements like the above easily lead to a hype like INS' and we all know what happened there...

Upvote 0
Yes H&D and H&D2 + Expansion had South Africans

hm, you might want to consider stuff like that. As a dev one is usually excited about the stuff one does. This doesnt neccassarily mean its an objective view of things. Statements like the above easily lead to a hype like INS' and we all know what happened there...

yes but if you read what i said after that, i said iam not just saying that becuase i am a dev team ask any of the testers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd be surprised if TWI would release a final update for Ostfront within three weeks, they're probably spending all their time on Game 2. I think quite a few people don't play as much RO anymore, and some have even left for a different game (the bar for multiplayer games has been drastically risen this year).

So how about getting a press release out on January 1, TWI?:)

Upvote 0

What about ins, atm it has 210 players playing at this very moment if that aint a success at the mod scene level then what is, plus god knows how many have downloaded the mod the industry notices succesful mod teams so they've done a good job, despite what you personally think.
Personally i think ro's mod teams should spam, shout, say their mod is personally indorsed by jesus whatever it takes to get people both in the ro community and outside to notice, in the end it'll mean more players for the community who cares if you have to exaggerate a bit ins did and look where it got them!

Upvote 0
Pricing for unreal 3 has not been anounced, but unreal 2 is listed. here

Of course, if your not aware TWI have already been awarded use of the unreal 3 engine, as a prize for the orgional mod version of this game.
Whether or not they use it to make 'RO2' remains to be seen.

I think you mean awarded use of the unreal 2.5 engine?But when i read the report of the winning:

The development team behind the winning entry receives $50,000 in cash and a coveted Unreal Engine commercial license worth approximately $350,000.
And i have read somewhere the unreal engine 3 is somewhere over 350.000!

Upvote 0
Mods like DH will kill off "stock" RO. No doubt about it. At best, DH will split the community. Every mod of a base game does this once the prime time of the base game wanes. In the end you will have to smaller communities fighting over resources and players. It is a cycle that repeats itself.

As for the quality of any mod, that remains to be seen. I know from credible sources that DH, for one, has/had extreme issues with level performance. "Great" looking maps, but killing PCs trying to run them. If DH has corrected/improved those aspects, then perhaps we have a great project ready to hit the scene. Every mod team has had problems and continues to work toward the best product they can make. I will try the DH mod, but as far as my commitment goes, IF I continue any work for the franchise in 2008, it will be for the base game. Others will have to decide that for themselves from players to model makers to coders. To each his own. Come 2009 we can all start over again...well, some of us, anyway.

Upvote 0
lately,I have noticed alot of empty servers on the server lists.I hope that all the upcoming MODs(DH,CC,MN)will revitalize the game so the servers aren't as empty as they seem to be now.

It's interesting that many ppl, including OP, don't differentiate between the mods and RO.

I mean, DH and MN will be competing with RO- and the more successful they are the less ppl will play the stock game.
The mods will draw primarily from ppl who already own RO, rather than people who never bought it in the first place,
especially as now there appear to be similar, alternative mods on the horizon- for 2 of the most popular games of all.

As CC will effectively run along side the stock game, it can be argued it will do more for RO as people can seemlessly switch between the servers. This is an excelent Idea i think, to keep it close to the stock game, after all it is almost an extention anyway.
Effectively its almost like a massive content pack for the game, although im sure the CC team would point out it's much more than just this.
However again, it's popularity will be pulling people away from the stock rotations- and I suspect the much criticised Danzig only servers will be the last to suffer.
I can't see how CC will attract outsiders to RO however, as it is such a nique theme (as far as i'm concerned a very good thing)

What has to be remembered is that it appears all the mods will emulate RO's realistic gameplay style, and use RO's tech, albeit phaps modified to some degree. You have to ask whether this is the very reason why the RO has so few players, as it's not as if the eastern front with tanks and vehicles is that leftfield an idea.

Any players that haven't bought RO because of lack of the involvement of certain nations, as suggested earlier, are probably to fickle a playerbase to be relied on long term.
Those who left the stock game to become 'sleeper cells', ready to 'reactivate' when the mods are out are hardly likely to return to RO if or when they have had their fill of them.

The be frank, what would have helped RO, is if rather than be tied up in the lengthy development of 3 ambitious mods, some of the talent had been working on many of thing people have been requesting for the stock game, be they mutators, vehicles, maps weapons whatever, to keep the game fresh.
That's not to say I am against the mods par se, just that 3 comprehensive ones seem a lot for a niche game with the level of player support this one has.

And remember, even taking these mods as part of the game as a whole, as many here do, they will still be competing against each other for attention.

Still, that said I'll certainly be checking them out and I'm sure they will all be most enjoyable with excellent content

Upvote 0