• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

shooting out of a tank

OK, first of all, do you really think all the soldiers were running around with bottles of vodka and buring rags? No, they were only used in impomptu city engagements. The only time that I could possibly see this being implementable is in a map like Leningrad where soviets are defending a city. Even then, they would have to be procured like a P.Faust. Second, I dont think they gave nades to tank commanders, not sure but I would be willing to put some money on it.

One thing along that line that I would like to see it the ability to scuttle your tank. This was done commonly, especially towards the end of the war if you didnt want your tank to fall into enemy hands. It could be as simple as giving the tank commander (and only the tank commander) a satchel.

Upvote 0
One thing along that line that I would like to see it the ability to scuttle your tank. This was done commonly, especially towards the end of the war if you didnt want your tank to fall into enemy hands. It could be as simple as giving the tank commander (and only the tank commander) a satchel.
Makes no sense in the present Ro since you cant take over enemy tanks. Sadly through...

Pistol ports, or fireing a smg from the commanders open hatch position whould be as cool and effective.

Upvote 0
Kind of related: What about being able to get on top of enemy tanks and throwing a granade down the hatch? I imagine it would be hard to encode, but it would be a fun element in the game.

It would be fun, but how often did it really happen? OK, if the TC is unbuttoned then fair enough (but would be trickier to pull off if he can shoot back with an smg). The thing i never get is in the movies and games when some GI strolls up, opens the lid and drops in a nade. You can just hear the germans shouting "Oh noes, ve haf forgotten to put ze lock on zis hatch!!!"

It always struck me as odd that you could open the hatch from the outside- or would that actually happen as a safety/rescue feature?

Upvote 0
It always struck me as odd that you could open the hatch from the outside- or would that actually happen as a safety/rescue feature?

If it was locked from the inside (like it always was when close to the enemy, I believe), the only rescue method would have been blow torch...and I believe that other tank crews/panzer grenadiers did seldom have blow torches with them...

If crew couldn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, first of all, do you really think all the soldiers were running around with bottles of vodka and buring rags? No, they were only used in impomptu city engagements. The only time that I could possibly see this being implementable is in a map like Leningrad where soviets are defending a city. Even then, they would have to be procured like a P.Faust. Second, I dont think they gave nades to tank commanders, not sure but I would be willing to put some money on it.
Molotov cocktails weren't as an impromptu weapon as you make out. They were used extensively by the Russians, especially in the battle of Kursk where they were effective at flooding the engine or crew compartments of heavier (and therefore less vulnerable to explosives) German tanks with the burning concotion.

Upvote 0
I do think that the ability to shoot out of a tank hatch with a pistol/revolver should be modelled.

German tanks often had a SMG or two inboard, the crewmen of course haveing their personal sidearms. However, while I think it entirely realistic for a crewman to pop up in a hatch and engage with a sidearm...an SMG is improbable...Just too unwieldy in such a confined environment, the tankie would be shot before he could organise himself and the SMG .

Of course an SMG could be used from pistol ports , perhaps even the shell ejection port?

One other thing that perhaps could be implemented is the entirely realistic and practical action of being able to fire out of a Half track , other than with the mounted MG . Again, to throw grenades etc, you have to dismount.

Upvote 0
A cupola mg would defiinitly NOT be more realistic!!

I dont understand why TWI made it so you could have an in-between bit between gun-sites and looking out the hatch?

You've go the slits right there (massive ones on the Tiger). But you cant shoot in or out!!????

What a pointless bit of modelling there :rolleyes:

I think the cupola view before opening the hatch was modeled to give the commander a means to spot targets without having to rotate the turret or expose himself to small-arms fire......At least that's what it was meant for in real life, however because of the limited view through it in-game, it isn't very effective.

Upvote 0
Most tanks had ports to fire pistols out from but a few did not (early panthers had them but later ones did not) so it would be nice to have them available. And it would be useful if you could use the pistol from the commanders position so you can shoot them pesky infantry who are circling your tank...

As for inventive ways to kill tanks theres the romanien artillery officer who used a sledge hammer to drive a T-34 away from his postion... -he climbed on the tank and started hitting it repededly (after wrecking the hull MG mount) the tank crew thought thy where being hit by a ATG and "ran" away.

Upvote 0
Most tanks had ports to fire pistols out from but a few did not (early panthers had them but later ones did not) so it would be nice to have them available. And it would be useful if you could use the pistol from the commanders position so you can shoot them pesky infantry who are circling your tank...

As for inventive ways to kill tanks theres the romanien artillery officer who used a sledge hammer to drive a T-34 away from his postion... -he climbed on the tank and started hitting it repededly (after wrecking the hull MG mount) the tank crew thought thy where being hit by a ATG and "ran" away.
Those russians were lucky he wasn't carrying the dreaded wooden plank with a nail in it.

Upvote 0