• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Forcing TeamPlay

[3.SA]Koba

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
www.3rdshock.org
We're limiting reinforcements and extending respawn times to force players into taking their virtual lives more seriously. For example ... We can edit a map to give 3 respawns/person on average and make the respawn time 5 minutes so if you die ... You could be staring at a blank screen waiting to respawn for a few minutes and that gives people an incentive to play tactically. Clans can play RO competitively in this style @ www.OstFrontCampaign.org.

If you want a taste of one of our trial maps for an 8vs8 to 16vs16 test match, here are a couple examples ...

This one is basically Arad tuned for only 1 life per round. It makes for a very tense game.

Map: RO-Arad ORC
Redirect: RO-Arad ORC.uz2

This is Leningrad with 3 lives/round and respawn waves at every 5 minute mark.

Map: RO-Leningrad ORC
Redirect: RO-Leningrad ORC.uz2

If you'd like to play a match against 3rd Shock to give it a try then give me a reply and we'll schedule one. You'll be surprised how much more tactical and realistic this makes RO feel.

Any suggestions or criticisms of this concept are welcome.

Last edited:
5 minutes sounds boring man. No offence but...jeez.

I mean. I see what you try to do to encourage more "tactical" play. But thats allready present in Clan Matches. ( or at least it should...)

I can only specualte how this might turn out. Looking at Leningrad where its easy enough for the russians to seal off the AT position for some time, i think that a 5 minute waiting penalty makes it even more tireing.

But, ne ways....i whould give it a shot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
5 minutes sounds boring man. No offence but...jeez.

I mean. I see what you try to do to encourage more "tactical" play. But thats allready present in Clan Matches. ( or at least it should...)

I can only specualte how this might turn out. Looking at Leningrad where its easy enough for the russians to seal off the AT position for some time, i think that a 5 minute waiting penalty makes it even more tireing.

But, ne ways....i whould give it a shot.

It's not boring if you take care of yourself :)

Upvote 0
Actually it sounds good. If you only have 1 or 3 lives i bet my *** that you don't see at start or anywhere in between both teams storming one point, nades flying all over and spray and pray shooting. Which is what you see in clan matches..

Koba, posted on our forums, hopefully they will want to do a test run.

Upvote 0
You don't actually wait 5 minutes to respawn every time you die. The respawn time is being done server side so there's a huge respawn wave of everyone who's dead at the 5 min mark, 10 min mark, 15 min mark ...etc

So if you die 4 min 30 sec into the round than you only wait 30 sec to respawn. It's better to think of it as a maximum 5 minute respawn time. If you run out of spawn using nades as artillery and pray/spray then you'll die very quickly and will have to wait nearly the whole 5 min to respawn but the longer you last, the shorter your time on the sidelines will be. This also makes sure that you spawn with several of your buddies so you can leave spawn together and work as a team.

Upvote 0
I've already participated in 4 battles with ORC limited respawns and love it. It makes the battle very intense, encourages teamwork and carefulness.

When you think about it, waiting a longer time to respawn can also be pretty nice. I usually end up in matches/battles that take place in the morning or around noon. So it gives me time to have a drink, grab a snack, read a bit of a book, respond to people on Xfire that messaged me during the battle and check up on the objective map and plan for my next move.

Upvote 0
I usually spend that time to organize the next spawn wave. On linear maps like smolensk and leningrad it almost feels like there's a small battle at each objective. Sometimes I'm in the capzone as the clock approaches the next spawn wave and I yell out ... Hold the objective for just another 60 seconds, the next wave is coming soon!

KrazyKraut ...

1. It's not per player but 3 lives per person on average* so that the general reinforcements are reduced when someone dies. Some players will spawn 5 or 6 times because others hardly die during the game.

2. For now it's only for clans. When we have enough maps completed we might try an ORC nite for pubbers on our server with designated leaders and an open teamspeak.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great idea however i think respawns every 2/3 minutes might be good compromise especially for public play its still an a long time to wait in comparasion to stock ro and will encourage attackers not to sit on they're arses for the first three minutes after every respawn.
Btw are you setting this up on a public server so us realism fans who arent in clans can give it a shot i'd love to try it.

Upvote 0
man that movie was hilarious the first minute, its sad that on public servers that that is an effective way to play.

im verry interested in this method, but is it limited to 8 vs 8?? it almost sounds like SnD in COD, you have 1 life every 5 minutes so you play verry carefull. the good thing with COD was that the dead guys could spectate the match in a free way. this way you can observe other players and how they play, get to know them and discuss with other dead spectators about the ongoing battle. for now on almost every RO server i know, spectators cant roam around.
sure you would have an advatage, but it makes you play more effectively.
and don't big maps feel empty with this system? it doesnt seem like the ideal solution for bigger maps, where you want to have the big battle feeling.

maybe a better solution would be to have a mutator, that makes dead players respawn once 50% of the team is dead (value should be adapted to the map).
this way you can influence the player behaviour in a more understandable way, not so much based on luck like with the five minute respawn. where you still can cheat by taking risks the last minute before respawn.
if you only respawn when a certain percentage of your team is dead, you just have to make sure you are part of the better players who stay alive longer, and you will be sure to play alot. and there would be no way to cheat by making a suicide attack at 4.30 minutes, and come back 30 secs later.
i believe that such a system would penalise more effectively bad players, and reward good players

Upvote 0
Hi

I've been playing for only two weeks so I'm not a member of a clan (yet) but would like to see this on at least one pub server so I could give it a try.

This game is truely brilliant, but the lack of incentive to remain alive largely removes the need for tactics and teamwork and as the video shows reduces the game to a nade spam fest on many of the maps I have played on.

I'm not sure how this would work on the Kaukases map - its tough enough getting up that ridge as it is. Can the parameters be defined per map, or only per server ?

Upvote 0
tbh i cant see how this changes much compared to "normal clanplay".
What i can see it do is create a rather long time of "setting up", defenders get even more bonus, the attack of the whole team, running and gunning is delayed to until 4:30, 9:30, etc.
In the end imo it serves the purpose to make the defender even more stronger than they are now already.

Upvote 0
You can always speculate if or if not this will affect gameplay in a good or bad way, the best thing is to simply try out :)

A possible way to "fix" a defender over-advantage was to simply give slightly more reinforcements to the attackers, fine tuning can be made easily on a map-per-map basis. Or even more sophisticated give attackers a reinforcement-bonus for each objective they capture (would require modding the code though).

Upvote 0
We can also give the attacker a shorter time to respawn then the defender to even things out so yep, it's a map by map issue for fine tuning things. SchutzeSepp and KrazyKraut - you have some very good ideas for improving things further but we don't have anyone with the coding experience to implement that so far. If anyone's willing to work with us on a mutator then give me a shout by pm.

Upvote 0