• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red orchestra in the future...

The only online-games that will ever interest me are realistic WWII games. So as long as there are enough players to fill a server (and my few like-minded clan buddies stick around), I'll never leave RO. Especially with all the custom maps/content and DH, CC and MN on the horizon! :cool:

Although I'm also looking out for FH2 and BGF's recent release caught my attention, these can never and will never replace RO...

It's just a real shame RO never caught on here in the Netherlands (it wasn't even in the shops) and big-name titles like COD4 always get all the attention. As expected COD4 was immediately popular within my clan, while only a handfull of players ever played and loved RO... :(

Upvote 0
Personally, I have to give props to EA and IW. The complete lack of support for the modders from IW/EA and the ensuing CoD2 debacle brought forth the mention of Red Orchestra in the IW forums. More than likely I would have never heard of the game were it not for their "blunder". I have been an RO fan ever since.

All the buzz about CoD4 and its graphics and features prompted me to buy the game. After about a week of playing online, again I tip my hat to EA and IW for doing what they do best. The maps are tiny, the gameplay is...well...gamey and arcadish. Imo, it caters to a type of gameplay (and to some extent a clientelle) that I personally do not care for. Once again they have done an outstanding job of providing a game that suits a particular genre of players quite well. Sure its fun for a few hours, but damn it gets old fast. Ironically enough however, my clan is made up of mostly 35-65 year olds. I would have thought that RO would have been right up their ally. Alas, I am the only one that still plays...go figure.

RO, despite its animation/engine problems, provides a different style of play found nowhere else. BF2 is just too big, imo, and CoD4 feels like you're playing in a parking lot with blinders on. I would love to see a game developed on a newer engine that was played on battlefields that ranged in size from somewhere in between BF2 and RO.

I sincerely hope that Tripwire is working on a fps that retains the focus of requiring and rewarding TEAMWORK. For my tastes, the realism bent is paramount. Run n gun, health regeneration, gaudy icons, radar, leaps from 20 feet, etc. just do not provide a long term enjoyable gameplay experience for me. I'll keep playing RO until there are just a dozen or so of us left.

Floyd

Upvote 0
Danzig is like the 24/7 cs_office of RO though..... and I like it. You get the map quickly and action is abound. Also, Floyd you will like DH mod when it comes out. RTR said that DH has features that encourage teamwork far more then RO, and also Garand and G43= <3, there better be iron sight springfields and enfields or else I won't be too happy with the bolties :D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Problem 1: Marketing. RO never got the proper exposure or the community would have easily been twice the size. TWI got screwed badly by their publisher. End of story.

Problem 2: Players are feeble-minded puds. For the most part, players have minimal attention spans and want the newest toy asap. The CoD/MoH type games cater to the larger audience because those games are mostly twitch shooters with immediate gratification. The general playing public is nothing more than ADHD kiddies who are more worried about their kill streak and personal penial enhancement than anything else.

Problem 3: Slow development of custom content. The UT engine is by far, the most complex engine in the genre. Developing vehicles for instance, is a four to six month process PER vehicle. It worsens when you have to cooperate with guys spread all over the place who may be on other teams as well.

Problem 4 (Personal): Mods. All the better in the big picture. Remember how RO got it's start. But, I think going outside the main game is a detriment to the overall community. It serves to fragment what is typically a shrinking community once the long development time of the mods reaches release. Look at games that are non-Steam "everyone plays version X": CoD 1.0 moves to 1.1, community splits. CoD-UO releases, community splits, etc. Personally, I think it is great that the mod teams are doing such large projects and creating new gaming choices, but the two teams that I think will do the most for "Red Orchestra" itself, are CC and our mini-mod team at MinionWorkz because we are adding content to the base game itself.

So, as not to step on DH and MN toes. I applaud you guys for all your hard work and sticking to your vision. That is what custom development is all about. What will happen though, in the end, is that there will be two or three main player bases with some guys crossing over from mod to mod to retail game. It is just how it happens. There will be two or three smaller player bases. And, afterall, the game is soon going to be looking at the end of it's second full year. That's quite an accomplishment. Players tire of the same game in essence, look for other quick fixes, and reasons to upgrade or build new PCs.

TWI has done an outstanding job of supporting this game. Maybe not to the expectations of some but what has been done for this community far outweights anything EA or IW ever did for their WW2 franchises, combined.

Upvote 0
Personally, I have to give props to EA and IW. The complete lack of support for the modders from IW/EA and the ensuing CoD2 debacle brought forth the mention of Red Orchestra in the IW forums. More than likely I would have never heard of the game were it not for their "blunder". I have been an RO fan ever since.

All the buzz about CoD4 and its graphics and features prompted me to buy the game. After about a week of playing online, again I tip my hat to EA and IW for doing what they do best. The maps are tiny, the gameplay is...well...gamey and arcadish. Imo, it caters to a type of gameplay (and to some extent a clientelle) that I personally do not care for. Once again they have done an outstanding job of providing a game that suits a particular genre of players quite well. Sure its fun for a few hours, but damn it gets old fast. Ironically enough however, my clan is made up of mostly 35-65 year olds. I would have thought that RO would have been right up their ally. Alas, I am the only one that still plays...go figure.

RO, despite its animation/engine problems, provides a different style of play found nowhere else. BF2 is just too big, imo, and CoD4 feels like you're playing in a parking lot with blinders on. I would love to see a game developed on a newer engine that was played on battlefields that ranged in size from somewhere in between BF2 and RO.

I sincerely hope that Tripwire is working on a fps that retains the focus of requiring and rewarding TEAMWORK. For my tastes, the realism bent is paramount. Run n gun, health regeneration, gaudy icons, radar, leaps from 20 feet, etc. just do not provide a long term enjoyable gameplay experience for me. I'll keep playing RO until there are just a dozen or so of us left.

Floyd

Fully concur Floyd, they'll have to take RO from my greasy and gunpowder stained dead hands;)

COD4 is taking the gameworld by storm because it's cheap shiny candy......you want the real toffee it's only in RO.

Upvote 0
I might be totally out of line or in the wrong but I think the future of RO (Ostfront) for the mod players and Ost players getting tired of it now are the Mods like DH, CC & MN that will most likely give it an appreciated breeze of fresh new air.

Of course, that is excluding the possibility of RO2 on UE3 with the same eastern front setting.

Edit: Oh and Nagels, your sig ****ing owns.

Upvote 0
Danzig is like the 24/7 cs_office of RO though..... and I like it. You get the map quickly and action is abound. Also, Floyd you will like DH mod when it comes out. RTR said that DH has features that encourage teamwork far more then RO, and also Garand and G43= <3, there better be iron sight springfields and enfields or else I won't be too happy with the bolties :D.

dont expect too much from us mate, we're working as hard as we can put don't go nuts if a gun ur expecting etc doesn't make BETA release 1 i mean remember RO's first release beta ever...

Again just trying to avoid dissapointment or getting flamed when we release.

Anyway a lot of people are asking if the mod teams im working on will be modding cod4, the answer is no (this relates to a post above a ways). CoD2 and 4 have and will continue to be almost completely unmoddable thanks to a poor SDK (if and when the cod4 sdk is released) and total lack of support from IW.

As previously mentioned people keep coming back to RO....what we need is a community driven PR drive..

Upvote 0
I might be totally out of line or in the wrong but I think the future of RO (Ostfront) for the mod players and Ost players getting tired of it now are the Mods like DH, CC & MN that will most likely give it an appreciated breeze of fresh new air.
...and I realy hope it will be quick because for me personaly RO is loosin its credit and I am more and more thinking about new games ... (for example I have tryed new Race07 and it rox with wheel :) )

Upvote 0
Yeah, the only thing that keeps me playing RO is the pro-clan community and my mates right now. As I still love RO so much, I'm waiting for news from TW soon :) Even an announcement with a screenie will bring back the flames for most people.

(Btw RACE 07 rocks my socks as well, with a MOMO wheel <3)

Upvote 0
I remember when 1942 came out & I played that for a few months, got bored, then sold it thinking the game would flop.
2 years later my buds started playing it so I re - purchased it, I couldn't believe the thousands of players online!
I wooed them away from 1942, Thx to RO. :D

Point is, RO will be here for a long time imo.

Upvote 0
Point is, RO will be here for a long time imo.
It will thanks to the modders putting in hard work, time & energy.

Because as it is, I'm convinced we didn't see the uniforms variety the MOD had due to some stupid **** like "the new players might find it hard to distinguish who is who and might get frustrated fast, etc...".

That kind of **** is sad for a game like RO.

Upvote 0
Problem 2: Players are feeble-minded puds. For the most part, players have minimal attention spans and want the newest toy asap. The CoD/MoH type games cater to the larger audience because those games are mostly twitch shooters with immediate gratification. The general playing public is nothing more than ADHD kiddies who are more worried about their kill streak and personal penial enhancement than anything else.

WOW!!!!! You may find this of some interest?

headerFacts.gif
spacer.gif
Home // Facts & Research // Game Player Data
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Game Player Data

How Many Americans Play Games?
  • Sixty-nine percent of American heads of households play computer and video games.
Who Purchases Computer and Video Games?
  • Ninety-three percent of people who make the actual purchase of computer games and 83% of people who make the actual purchase of video games are 18 years of age or older. The average age of the game buyer is 40 years old.
How Long Have Gamers Been Playing?
  • Adult gamers have been playing an average of 12 years. Among most frequent gamers, adult males average 10 years for game playing, females for 8 years.
Will Gamers Keep Playing?
  • Fifty-three percent of game players expect to be playing as much or more ten years from now than they do today.
Who Plays Computer and Video Games?

ES07_p02.jpg

ES07_p03.jpg

For Computer Gamers...
  • Thirty percent of most frequent game players are under eighteen years old.
  • Twenty-six percent of most frequent game players are between 18 and 35 years old.
  • Forty-four percent of most frequent game players are over 35 years old.
For Console Gamers...
  • Forty percent of most frequent game players are under eighteen years old.
  • Thirty-five percent of most frequent game players are between 18 and 35 years old.
  • Twenty-five percent of most frequent game players are over 35 years old.
What about Women Gamers?
  • Thirty-eight percent of game players are women.
  • Women age 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (30%) than boys age 17 or younger (23%)
How Much Time Is Spent Playing Games?
  • The average adult woman plays games 7.4 hours per week. The average adult man plays 7.6 hours per week. Though males spend more time playing than do females, the gender/time gap has narrowed significantly. Whereas in 2003, males spent an average of 18 more minutes a day playing games than did their female counterparts, in 2004 they spent ony six minutes more each day doing so. Females spend an average of two hours more per week playing games now than they did a year ago.
How many Gamers Play Games Online?
  • Forty-four percent of most frequent game players say they play games online, up from 31% in 2002.
Who Plays Games Online?
  • Fifty-eight of online game players are male.
  • Forty-two percent of online game players are female.
What Other Activities are Gamers Involved In?
  • Gamers devote more than triple the amount of time spent playing games each week to exercising or playing sports, volunteering in the community, religious activities, creative endeavors, cultural activities, and reading.
  • In total, gamers spend 23.4 hours per week on these activities, compared to 6.8 hours per week playing games.
  • Seventy-nine percent of game players of all ages report exercising or playing sports an average of 20 hours a month.
  • Forty-five percent of gamers volunteer an average 5.4 hours per month.
  • Ninety-three percent of game players also report reading books or daily newspapers on a regular basis, while sixty-two percent consistently attend cultural events, such as concerts, museums, or the theater.
  • Fifty percent of gamers are regularly involved in creative activities, such as painting, writing, or playing an instrument. In addition, adult gamers exhibit a high level of interest in current events, with 94 percent following news and current events, and 78 percent reporting that they vote in most of the elections for which they are eligible.
source:http://www.theesa.com/facts/gamer_data.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Red Orchestra is the best fps I've ever played, but we have to admit that, although it has gained lots of awards and players during his first year of life, RO:O is a product. And, as a product, has an expectance of life in the market. Now I think RO is entering in his maturity, and it means that the players who come looking for something different one year ago are now looking for something different -from RO-.

Upvote 0
Oneshot: Your point is? While those facts are fine, that still doesn't cover the fact that a huge portion of people buy the shiny new toy the minute it is released and jump from game to game. My point is as it has always been about RO vs. CoD/MoH...instant gratification and "Me-ism". RO does not have a large community due to the stronger team centric play, slower pace, and non-me scoring. You demographics don't talk about how many games people play, how often they purchase, and how long do they play a particular game. Are they dedicated to community play, clans, etc?

In general, Americans as one demographic, are short-attention spanned, numb nuts who buy anything with a good sales pitch. Put sprinkles on dog crap and tell us it's better than chocolate and will enhance your manhood and it'll sell. Look at the people who bought the latest MoH game and still bought CoD4 and supported the lowest form of game developers. I stand by my "feeble minded" connotation.

Upvote 0