• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

BattleGroup Frontlines - Eastern Front BF2 mod

It runs really well here.

Good tankmodels.
Nice uniforms.
Good animations.
Superb sounds.
Poor maps (not enough detail, it looks gamey).
Bolts are nice to play with.

Gameplay is more arcadish then RO ("no **** Einstein, what did you expect on that engine"), but the ww2 theme makes it ok.
It still is a lot like BF2 so no real realism.

If you like the BF2 engine: make sure to try it out.

Monk.

Upvote 0
I was pretty impressed at first. I didn't play very long, but it looked good and infantry combat felt reasonably realistic...

...but then I got killed by an approaching Panzer III manned by Russians!? :confused: :mad:

That totally killed the experience for me. I love tank combat, but when you can't even depend on spotting an enemy tank just by it's silhouette... :( fun's over.

They really should've locked the tanks to enemies. It just completely unrealistic otherwise...

Upvote 0
Yeh its moronic gameplay for morons tbh!

Any class can drive/pilot anything & off course you can just jump into an enemy vehicle & use it like an expert!

Drive & shoot at the same time???? Give me a break... :rolleyes:

Give them a break, its the first version, its obviously difficult to mod on the bf2 engine seeing as its so ****ty, they may add things in the future, but everyone has got to start somewhere.

how about stop whining and tell them that you dont like it.

Upvote 0
Just had a quick blast. What time i spent with it was good fun. The rifle was very accurate and was really easy to kill people. No crosshairs, no team names so you have to identify by uniforms. Did not really use any of the vehicles, there was planes flying about blowing things up - mostly other planes. Business as usual then? The thing is with all battlefield mods is that they don't really change anything to the core gameplay. Not like UT2003/2004 to RO. BF mods just add new models and skins and other toys, change the damage of the weapons and the movement speed and add new maps. Its still plays like battlefield with the same game mode structure.

The graphics suck balls though, i've seen better in HL1 mods, the uniform textures suck, the weapon models look like ***. Infact all the textures look like ***. The map i played was pretty boring too.

But the thing thats pissing me off the most is the ****ty BF2 engine. I cant get the damn thing to work at 1920x1200 even with all the config files edited and the short cut parameters. I have to use 1600x1200 instead which makes everything stretched and look even worse. I can't blame this on the engine entirely as i never had a problem before, so its something Nvidia has ****ed up in their new drivers as usual. But the fact BF2 is still stuck in 2003 with the lack of widescreen support does not help either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just had a quick blast. What time i spent with it was good fun. The rifle was very accurate and was really easy to kill people. No crosshairs, no team names so you have to identify by uniforms. Did not really use any of the vehicles, there was planes flying about blowing things up - mostly other planes. Business as usual then? The thing is with all battlefield mods is that they don't really change anything to the core gameplay. Not like UT2003/2004 to RO. BF mods just add new models and skins and other toys, change the damage of the weapons and the movement speed and add new maps. Its still plays like battlefield with the same game mode structure.

The graphics suck balls though, i've seen better in HL1 mods, the uniform textures suck, the weapon models look like ***. Infact all the textures look like ***. The map i played was pretty boring too.

But the thing thats pissing me off the most is the ****ty BF2 engine. I cant get the damn thing to work at 1920x1200 even with all the config files edited and the short cut parameters. I have to use 1600x1200 instead which makes everything stretched and look even worse. I can't blame this on the engine entirely as i never had a problem before, so its something Nvidia has ****ed up in their new drivers as usual. But the fact BF2 is still stuck in 2003 with the lack of widescreen support does not help either.

Whoa another yorkshireman!

The only things i didnt like abot the is that there is no separate driver seat, the tanks sights are too small, and the planes are far too accurate, also germans are wearing late war boots when they should be wearing jack boots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like my games as realistic as possible without destroying gameplay.

In Bf2 mods, they make the gameplay so pick up n play (ie easy), that they destroy any trace amount of realism. Its like what Valve did to DoD basically.

You cant just change the skins & expect ww2 fans to appreciate it!

Sure its FUN for people to run around exploiting the mechanics of a game to pwn. But Im not one of those people!

I like things a tad tougher ;)

Upvote 0
how about stop whining and tell them that you dont like it.

Wow you think that'll work?

Sweet!

That's exactly what I did on their forums. I suggested locking the tanks to enemy troops. One of their developers responded:

We will probably add this to the next release. Thanks.
So yeah, just maybe that'll work... :)

It's just their first release and they really seem to go for realism, so just give them a chance...

Upvote 0
I like my games as realistic as possible without destroying gameplay.

In Bf2 mods, they make the gameplay so pick up n play (ie easy), that they destroy any trace amount of realism. Its like what Valve did to DoD basically.

You cant just change the skins & expect ww2 fans to appreciate it!

Sure its FUN for people to run around exploiting the mechanics of a game to pwn. But Im not one of those people!

I like things a tad tougher ;)
Well, I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it if you don't call them morons for enjoying this mod.

Upvote 0
The mods ok, nothing special really. Gameplay is ok, but all they've really done is remove crosshairs, and make movement speed a bit slower. Weapon models suck, especially the MN rifles, where the cocking animation is downright poor. Play it and you will see what I mean. Vehicles are ok, the sound effects of turrets moving for example is quite a bit better that RO's imo. Overall though, this mod is not a scratch on RO, so don't worry about a loss of players to this.

Upvote 0