• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Advanced Infantry Tactics

IMO that has nothing to do with "advanced infantry tactics". Infantry tactics covers stuff that an infantry unit does in a battle. What you have described is combat techniques for an individual combatant.

But othervise I agree with you. I'd add one thing: use cover. If you are not sure what's happening around you (you suspect being flanked etc.), or you are not ready to shoot (reloading, grenade in hand etc.) take cover. If you are in cover you can't be suprised and killed. This goes double when using bolt action rifles. If you miss and the enemy is prepared to shoot, take cover. If you miss second time and he is pressing on, retreat and make some distance between you and him, reload, and try again. Repeat until either one dies. Don't stay stationary and don't reveal yourself anymore than what is neccesary to take a quick but aimed shot.

Upvote 0
IMO that has nothing to do with "advanced infantry tactics". Infantry tactics covers stuff that an infantry unit does in a battle.
Thats exactly what I'm describing. What an infantry unit does in battle. You might be confusing tactics with strategy.
use cover. If you are not sure what's happening around you (you suspect being flanked etc.), or you are not ready to shoot (reloading, grenade in hand etc.) take cover. If you are in cover you can't be suprised and killed. This goes double when using bolt action rifles. If you miss and the enemy is prepared to shoot, take cover. If you miss second time and he is pressing on, retreat and make some distance between you and him, reload, and try again. Repeat until either one dies. Don't stay stationary and don't reveal yourself anymore than what is neccesary to take a quick but aimed shot.
Good advice but these should be in a beginner infantry tactics thread.

Upvote 0
Not that any of this matters but I didn't say Infantry Unit, I said Infantry tactics. wtf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_tactics:
"Military tactics are the techniques for using weapons or military units in combination for engaging and defeating an enemy in battle."

So tactics are never about what an individual should do but combining available assets to win a battle.

E.g. a grunt is laying in a ditch and thinking "I've got a rifle, a grenade and there's a MG shooting at me, what should I do?" This question is not about tactics. But when the platoon commander is thinking that "I've got two MG's, a light mortar, a recon team and two infantry squads, how do I take the objective?" then it's a matter of tactics.

Upvote 0
Aren't we talking about a game? A game where you have control over one infantry unit?

What would you like the thread to be called? I don't care, I think it was pretty clear to anyone with a half of a brain what I'm talking about.

Please someone delete this thread I've had enough. I learned my lesson, I wont make the mistake of posting here again.

Upvote 0
Aren't we talking about a game? A game where you have control over one infantry unit?

What would you like the thread to be called? I don't care, I think it was pretty clear to anyone with a half of a brain what I'm talking about.

Please someone delete this thread I've had enough. I learned my lesson, I wont make the mistake of posting here again.

No need for drama, take the nitpicking as a learning experience. I guess we have some misundestanding about the term "unit"? One soldier is not an infantry unit, a team (something between two to six men maybe) might be the smallest one. In Finnish there's a term "taistelutekniikka" (~= "combat technique") that concerns how an individual or a very small team should behave in battle, and which is the same thing what this thread is about. I don't know what would be corresponding English term, but it's certainly not "tactics".

But what's the point to start a whole new thread and the edit it away?

Upvote 0
I learned my lesson, I wont make the mistake of posting here again.

Nitpicking about terminology is pointless..no need to delete your thread just because someone doesn't like the terms you used. Anyway I use the term tactic to describe an individual's manuevre in a GAME, and don't care if it's wrong in military language. Tactic just means a manuevre used to increase your chances of winning, whether it includes more than one person or not doesn't matter to me. I mean this whole forum area is called RO: Tactics..do you see every thread about top down tactics used by squad leaders? No its about individuals 90% of the time. Oh noes he said unit and meant one person :eek:

Upvote 0
well, first of all, tactics are the methods used with in a battle, so well it conventionally used to destcribe units of infantry (unit as in squad, platoon, company, etc.) it can also be used to destcribe individual tactics, heavy weapons tactics, armor tactics, anything that takes place with in a single engagement. This is opposed to Strategy, which is the methods used in a campaing, (i.e., which cities do I focus on, what roads to I send my armor down, where do I set up my HQ, what forces to I position where, that is to say, in most engagemtnets manuver on the scale greater than regimental formations.). Then, just incase anyone cares, there is also the operational level of war, the methods used in manuvering your forces prior to a battle, such as getting your men up on that hill so you will have the high ground, getting the arillery in the right position, sending a force in a broad flanking manuver and hopeing that they get into position in time.

As far as the game goes, we dont see much 'advanced infantry tactics' as that does imply troops working together (that is what makes it advanced) what we do see, is individual tactics, which is what this is disscussing. I would really like to see more advanced tactics in RO, as it has the potential to really destroy the enemy. I have had the opportunity on a few occasions to work with a few of my friends (we were actually in the same room playing) and we were able to devistate the rooskies. One was semi auto, one was assault, and one was Squad leader.

Upvote 0
No need for drama, take the nitpicking as a learning experience. I guess we have some misundestanding about the term "unit"? One soldier is not an infantry unit, a team (something between two to six men maybe) might be the smallest one. In Finnish there's a term "taistelutekniikka" (~= "combat technique") that concerns how an individual or a very small team should behave in battle, and which is the same thing what this thread is about. I don't know what would be corresponding English term, but it's certainly not "tactics".

But what's the point to start a whole new thread and the edit it away?

Why you nitpicking at such trvial things???

Anyway

If you are defending and shoot a bunch of guys or even one always move but stay close to your last position they nearly always come back for some revenge.Also his buddies probally heard you.Someone may reply to this with 'ive always done that' its 'common sence' so why when I go look for most players which have just shot me haven't moved? its amazing how many mgs and snipers do this when moving is one of thier best tactics.This is pub play btw clan play is a different ball game.

I'll come back later with more :)

Upvote 0
It's also a very good idea to do what people expect the least.

Say you're defending a building. You shoot a couple people as they walk past your kill zone. Now you move up into the next room. They expected you to still be where you were. Next you move two rooms back. They clear out the first two rooms, assume you're gone and BAM.

It's also fun to catch people with their pants down throwing grenades. Say someone sees you and ducks around the corner. Instead of immediately chasing or sending a grenade at him, you could wait a few seconds. They will usually be preparing to throw a grenade or at the very least not expect you. Then they get shot/stabbed.

Pretty much just keep your enemies off balance.

Upvote 0