• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Deus Ex 3 News (Topic starter doesn't know how to make good titles)

I loved Deus Ex 1 best game I ever bought heck I still have my copy its best played with the Tnag weapons or that Hardcore mod. Im glad that there actually will be a 3rd verison I hope it has absolutely nothing to do with the second one. Yeah an SDK and modding ability is a must for Deus ex!!!

Upvote 0
I am not DEx fan but I know this: Eidos is the worst publisher/developer in PC gaming business. With all the hatred people project towards the likes of EA, Ubisoft or Activision, those companies are like bastions of honesty and professionalism compared to Eidos.

So, if I was Deus Ex fan, or fan of any franchise that is handled by Eidos, I would not put my hopes too high.

Upvote 0
Universal ammo was a terrible decision. the simplification of the inventry system a real letdown. but i still enjoyed Deus Ex IW once i'd grudgingly come to terms with it's consolisation, and accepted the origional was in a different league.
I thought some of the characters were good, and the story was and kept me reasonable interested thoughout it's length. The locations had atmosphere and the music was pretty good.
I'm not expecting too much from this 3rd installment, but i'll buy it no-doubt.

I am not DEx fan but I know this: Eidos is the worst publisher/developer in PC gaming business. With all the hatred people project towards the likes of EA, Ubisoft or Activision, those companies are like bastions of honesty and professionalism compared to Eidos.

So, if I was Deus Ex fan, or fan of any franchise that is handled by Eidos, I would not put my hopes too high.

I have no love for eidos, despite having some friends who still work there, but could you elaborate please?

Upvote 0
i wasnt a huge fan of the decisions they made as far as JC denton went in the 2nd game but i wont say anymore in case i spoil it for people who haven't played it (and yes the consolisation was a major annoyance, also due to cut backs for less powerful consoles i kinda felt the levels often felt a bit empty and bland) still the game was ok just no where near the original's brilliance.

Upvote 0
They completely destroyed Deus Ex' main asset in the second part: The setting. Everything that made part 1 so enjoyable was just plain getting on my nerves in part 2:

- the characters lacked any depth (i liked that idea of the holo-britney though)
- the factions were partially stupified copies of those in part 1...
- ... or overdone and imo not very believable new ones (church and templars)
- certain storyline surprises were all too predictable
- the cities were about as big as my garage
- there were no cool AIs
- the Denton Brothers were gay
- your character sucked (esp. the cyberpunk dude)
- the endings were all pretty stupid and not satisfactory (although that was partially wanted)

Add to that the unnecessary simplification of the gameplay, the "one ammo" thing end you get from great to mediocre. I doubt they can fix all these issues in the coming title.

Unless they completely undo Part 2 and make it so it never existed (crosses fingers).

Upvote 0
I've never played Deus Ex, and I don't know what's it even about. Should I?

Yes you should. It really was one of the best PC games to come out of the late 90's early 2000's. I'm pretty sure it was the first game that, instead of leading you along through a supposedly realistic (but actually scripted) environment like Half-Life did, it actaully presented you with an evironment and a variety of tools to play around with and solve things out for yourself.

Example: At one point, you have to escape from the roof of a building in NYC. You can fight your way down through the building using an enhanced visual targeting system and a rocket launcher, stealth-snipe your way through the building with a silenced pistol, or activate your nano-enchanced legs and some thermoptic camo and leap over the edge, falling about 10 stories and using a pile of trash to break your fall. Pretty much every environment can be solved in at least two, most times three, and sometimes four or more ways.

Actions also have consequences also. Do one thing and a major character might live, another and they die. Great dialog options. The storyline is branching, and leads to multiple endings.

The game really is the best example, I think, of RPG-FPS blending to date. Even though it was made back in like 2000.

The game oozes with character too. Hong-Kong/Versalife anyone?

EDIT: You can get it for $10 I think on direct2drive.com. Might be $20. Either way its' worth it. It's got more replay value than STALKER or any other more recent attempt at an FPS-RPG.

Upvote 0
go play the original now! lol, i loved it but then again maybe time and nostalgia have skewed my memory.

Na, I just played it over the summer again. The graphics are a little dated obviously, and some of the areas don't seem as big or complex as they used to, but it's still excellent. Probably because nobody's tried to be as ambitious with a game since then. After the early 2000's, games started getting consolized and mass-marketed. Meaning even the "innovative" ones like Bioshock are kind of watered down. Deus Ex is a great throwback to how great game design can be if you get rid of the industry standards.

Upvote 0
I've never played Deus Ex, and I don't know what's it even about. Should I?

Duuuude. Everyone should play DX1, that game is the prime example of awesomeness of the FPS/RPG genre (with STALKER coming in a close second). The voice acting is incredible, the skill and augmentation systems are also great, and combat/stealth feels very solid for an 8 year old game.

It's becoming extremely rare now, so your best chance of getting it is via the internet or on Ebay.

Upvote 0